Adding hdmi out to my laptop

shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
I have a T61p that's about 6 years old and I'd like to add hdmi out to connect to my tv. I was considering this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815290023

anyone have any experience with this product or something similar?

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    for a little more info that may be helpful, i don't want to do anything other than display things on my tv. I don't have any desire to game or anything, just watch 1080p youtube (and similar sources).
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    I've found that when converting anything to or from HDMI, some errors can be caused by the loss of non-audio/visual information that one or the other device may be expecting to be transmitted with the signal. For example, when converting an HDMI out to a VGA in, I've had device fail to initialize (I think) because it can't recognize the device on the other end, and can't even 'see' that it's plugged into anything. Going in the other direction doesn't seem as bad, but I've had HDMI television not able to do things like automatically detect the resolution of the PC because it's outputting a VGA signal that's being converted to HDMI.

I've never played with a USB -> HDMI device, however, and while it seems to me like it would be too slow for 1080p at only USB2, I don't really know.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    @CB: You need active adapters if you want to preserve all of the information HDMI transmits, but VGA is a terrible and ancient display standard that won't support audio, HDCP or EDID data.