Dear Icrontic; Grado, Sennheiser, or a 3DS w/ Fire emblem

cherplunkacherplunka Sunnyvale, CA Icrontian
I need an audiophile.

I know you're out there.

I'm looking to potentially spend a 3DS amount of money on a nice pair of cans. (go ahead and smile, I set that one up just for you)

My music taste is well, eccentric. Punk, Ska, Dub, EDM, D&B, Post-Punk, numbers stations, dub step, chip music, peidmont blues, whatever you call bands like Beirut, Lupe Fiasco..... I need something versatile and have heard Grados are the way to go, but they might not do my Percy Grainger collection much justice.

Any opinions?
Also looking to invest in an amp eventually as well.

Comments

• NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    What sort of fit are you looking for? On ear, over ear, open, closed, in ear?
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    I built one of these and it was pretty easy. If you can solder, you should be able to do it as well.

http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/07/o2-headphone-amp.html
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    edited March 2013
    I love my Grado SR-60s (their low-end), but you have to be aware that Grados have a reputation for being a bit high on the top-end and not having that boosted bass that people seem to be all up in these days. Really, they give a nice, fairly balanced sound (in case you care, I've listened to a fairly wide range of stuff on these phones, from solid electronica like BoC, Tycho and Lusine, to subtle bass shifts in Stars of the Lid and The Dead Texan, to the grungy Giant Drag and Girl in a Coma, to your more top-heavy Bali rock (Tamikrest, Tinariwen), Sweedish folk rock (Junip) and Chinese Erhu, and a whole bunch of other crap all over the spectrum, so I've gotten a good idea of the frequency response on these). If you really want to have some fun, there's people that customize Grados (and other headphones of course) to change some of the internals for better sound clarity and some of the externals for look and feel. One of those links should have walk-throughs of some Grado mods that should give you a better idea of what to expect, and what you could do with them if you have the inclination.

Gonna page @troll on this, he's a canfan. ;)

--edit--

Something else to consider: the jack on the Grados is 1/8", but the backing to the plug is big. Like, a good 1.5" long and 3/8" diameter (estimated, I don't have a measure with me). This means that, if you have a recessed plug, it's likely not going to fit. You can easily adapt it, though.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited March 2013
    Grado is in the buisness of building high quality open-air stereo headphones. Open-air basically means that they let the diaphram breathe from the back, and some sound leaks out. For me, this is the only way I can endure headphone use for long periods of time, I don't like to feel isolated, I don't like noise cancelation, I don't care for the music to feel like it's beamed directly into my skull. Open-Air allows the sound to breathe, it's more spacious, it's more like listening to live music in an open room.

The drawback is that some sound leaks so if someone is sitting right next to you it's going to be aparent. If it's for at home listening though, just kinda so you can isolate yourselve in a room and enjoy your audio without disturbing the people a room over, I think open-air is the way to go. Both Grado and Sennheiser have excillent open-air offerings.

On ear vs. around the ear is about comfort and level of isolation again. All open-air designs are less isolated than non, but if you go with on ear it will be even less than around the ear usually. Usually the around the ear models kinda strike that balance between feeling a little more isolated with the music, but still having an open sound stage. Personally, I prefer on ear, I just don't like sound isolation, I prefer my ears to breathe a bit.

Around your budget, I'd consider

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-239-Headphones-Black/dp/B005SNPTRS

http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Prestige-Series-SR125i-Headphones/dp/B0006GCCWW

midga
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    My high-enders of choice are Senn HD-650s. I absolutely goddamn adore them.
    boasist
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    When it comes to cans, go big or go home.
    Cans or gtfo?
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    Can vouch for Senn HD-650. Eargasmic.

Also, I'm fairly certain you've tried my Sennheiser HD 280s before, Beeb. Incredibly pure when used with a small preamp.

Also now that it's relevant
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    I have Sennheiser HD 650s as well, and I doubt I'd ever buy another brand for any headphone-related purchases ever.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    The HD 650s are a bit out of your price range but there are several really nice models within it if you want to go Sennheiser (also my favorite brand.) Give a look at the 280s or the 380s. Should be closer to your price.
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    The Sennheiser HD 558 open air cans are probably my favorite set of entry level to audiophile headphones I have used. The offer wonderful sound with a price tag that isn't going to break your bank. They fit in your price range and offer a taste into the world of high end listening. The only can's I know of that sound better in that price range are the Grado SR 225i, but you need an amp to make them really light up and cost around 20 to 30 USD more.
  • cherplunkacherplunka Sunnyvale, CA Icrontian
    ok. So I settled my price point at $300. A friend let me listen to his Grado 325is' which fall into that range nicely. I liked the airiness of them so I think open might be the way to go. Also, it still seemed to have enough bass in my opinion. Also, despite being fond of dubstep, I'm not a big bass person.

I haven't found a pair of Senn's in the same price range to compare them with. The 650's are out, and I feel like I can do better that the 239s. I found these, and I'm trying to not evaluate them purely on being pretty - amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-598-Headphones-Accents/dp/B0042A8CW2/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I *think* I'm looking for around the ear. Comfort wise so far I seem to prefer that.
  • trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    If your looking for an open headphone for your type of music the I would seriously consider the beyerdynamic DT990 Premium in either 32 ohm or 250 ohm. One of the most comfortable headphones I have ever worn.

If your looking for a closed pair then the Ultrasone Pro 900 is what your looking for.

Portable Amp I'd recommend the C&C BH Portable Headphone Amp from this seller.

A good starter desktop system is the Schiit Magni Amp & Modi DAC

I personally would choose these over the Senns hands down.
    :cheers:
    midga
    Headphones are a very subjective thing, everyone hears different and has different tastes. I suggest to drop into an audio store that sells headphones, *Not BestBuy* bring your music and give a listen to various brands.

If you are not able to do this or there are no stores around you, then I would suggest ordering from a place like Amazon that has an excellent return policy, that way you can keep what you like and send back the rest.

If you really, really think you want Senn's then you can get the HD600's from RazordogAudio they are an Authorized Dealer (Very Important) for $299 with their RAZORDOG100 code, for a little more you can get the HD650's for $399 with the same code.
  • If you're cool with it. Go to the second hand market. The gang over at headfi.org are some serious people, and they take care of their stuff, so don't worry, it won't be covered in potato chip grease.

I was able to get the 650's there for exactly at your budget. Check it out. Be sure to check which Ohm version you get, depending on if you are going to drive them with an amp or direct from source.

head-fi.org for sale threads
    Hey @troll, do you know if that Modi works okay with ASIO?
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    All I have to say on this subject is I was wondering who/what Sennheiser was in Fire Emblem, since Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones does have the "Grado Empire" in it. :buck:

Carry on with your on topic and headphone knowledgeable discussion.
    midga
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited March 2013
    midga said:

Hey @troll, do you know if that Modi works okay with ASIO?

Hey @midga "That Schiit is Banannas!"
    I really can't seem to find an answer to that, I'd email Jason at Schiit (support@schiit.com) and ask, he could tell you for sure.

I have the FiiO E17 and E09K Combo that does... http://www.fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx

Win 7 & OSX support right out of the box.
    midga
    boasist said:

If you're cool with it. Go to the second hand market. The gang over at headfi.org are some serious people, and they take care of their stuff, so don't worry, it won't be covered in potato chip grease.

I was able to get the 650's there for exactly at your budget. Check it out. Be sure to check which Ohm version you get, depending on if you are going to drive them with an amp or direct from source.

head-fi.org for sale threads

They seem to be very leery these days of selling to unknown's, quite a few months back this guy from Latvia decided to do some small deals and get his reputation number increased. Then he proceeded to scam about $7000 worth of gear from the members. With a lot of work and contacting foreign police agencies they managed to get most if not all of it back.

You can try and see what happens. If you get a cold reception that is probably why.

Ryder said:
    I don't take much merit in anything that includes "Beetz" in a best of list, and nor should you. ;)
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    Their presence shouldn't invalidate the review...the author states the Beats were universally despised by everyone that tested them.
    Tushon
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    troll said:

Ryder said:
    I don't take much merit in anything that includes "Beetz" in a best of list, and nor should you. ;)
    They are really bass-y, though. Might be good for what she wants.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited March 2013
    I have a coworker looking to sell his sets of both the Sennheiser HD650 and Grado cans you're looking for. Both are barely used and still have the original packaging. I am trying to get him to sign up so he can post details.
    There's the deal above!
    Thank you everyone, I've learned a lot. There is so much information and i'm trying not to confuse myself. Beats are out. I don't like muddy bass. I used to work next to a high end car stereo shop, and I know the difference between loud and good.

I'm currently stuck between the
    the beyerdynamic DT990 (Probably the 32s?) and Sennheiser HD 598s.

This may be a weird question, but does anybody know which set might be good with feedback? Think Explosions in the Sky.
    midga
    wait the 600 ohm is $50 cheaper.

This will mostly be jacked into my tower. Once in a while into an iphone or ipod. probably not too often though.

wait the 600 ohm is $50 cheaper.

This will mostly be jacked into my tower. Once in a while into an iphone or ipod. probably not too often though.

Quoting Mad Lust Envy from Head-Fi He has a Headphone Gaming Guide there.
    You will need an decent amp for the 600Ω version...
    The 600ohm is the most refined, and shares more in common with the 32ohm than the 250ohm, but just barely. The bass is tighter with very slightly less impact than the 250ohm. Like the 32ohm, the mids are ever so slightly more forward than the 250ohm. The soundstage is like the 250ohm, which is to say, slightly larger than the 32ohm. The 600ohm deserves some real good amping to make it worthwhile over the 32/250ohm variants. If you don't plan on getting something in the realm of $250+ for a bonafied desktop amp, get the 250ohm instead, though recent comparisons using the E09K have shown me that the 600ohm is still the better can (literally by a micro hair).
    Depending on your soundcard you might be able to get away wiith the 250Ω version. My DT880's are 250 and I run them through a FiiO E09K Desktop Amp.
    edited March 2013

Thank you everyone, I've learned a lot. There is so much information and i'm trying not to confuse myself. Beats are out. I don't like muddy bass. I used to work next to a high end car stereo shop, and I know the difference between loud and good.

I'm currently stuck between the
    the beyerdynamic DT990 (Probably the 32s?) and Sennheiser HD 598s.

This may be a weird question, but does anybody know which set might be good with feedback? Think Explosions in the Sky.

Both are Excellent choices for sure! I have just been listening to this on my DT880's
    and I am not sure if that is what you mean by explosions in the sky?

There are a lot of reports of plastic cracking on the 598's I am not sure if they have fixed this or not.
    So this is something to take into consideration.

Everything I've read suggest the 598 shine when hooked to an amp. So you might want to look into the Schiit Magni as well, or possibly into one of the Asus Xonar cards with the built in headphone amp.

The best test is just to try them out, you can always pick up an Amp or DAC / Amp combo later.

midga
    Thought I scared you away from your thread with all the Headphone talk...
    It's all about the music and the quest to enhance your listening experience.

Headphones, Amps, Sources, DAC's etc... This game is a diminishing return going from the $20 earbuds to the $150 headphone is a very noticeable increase in sound quality, going from the $150's to the $300 a little bit less, from the $300 to the $600 even less still. And so on and so on.

If you can listen before you buy that is the whole key to finding something you'll love.
    Enjoy the journey, it's a great ride.
    :)
    Annesmidga