Problem printing in color with my HP D4160 printer...

edited March 2013 in Hardware
I've been using an HP D4160, since ~2006, without a problem, but haven't been able to print in color since yesterday. Despite the color cartridge being almost full, I replaced it after finding that it had leaked, but the replacement didn't solve the problem - the second in a 2 pack, expiration 2010. I mostly print in black/grayscale, so maybe the lack of color use affected the print head. The copper plate that the cartridge attaches to is clean, in contrast with the sponge.

Spoke with HP tech support and was told the problem is with the print head and since this model isn't being made anymore, she tried to sell me a $99 "upgrade," but I declined, as I'm still able to print using the black cartridge.

Is there a way to fix this on my own, without rendering the machine inoperable, bearing in mind that I'm not a printer expert? Is the issue with the print head or is it due to using expired genuine HP color cartridges? I doubt the latter, as the black is probably old too. Other than having a color cartridge in the slot with ink, in order to continue printing in grayscale, due to the software, I really don't need it, but it'd be nice to have it working again.

In late 2005/early 2006, I bought a print head cleaning kit for an Epson C86, but it made the situation worse, though I had enough with the brand, after two clogged C82s and switched back to HP - until 2002, I was content with the 870 Cse.

BTW, I've run 5 cleaning cycles and other than reducing the black cartridge to half, it hasn't done anything. The test page shows all three colors, albeit with slight white lines, but when I tried to print a picture, the colors are faded/blended, like there's a clog somewhere.

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    Can you scan a printout and post part of the scan that shows what is happening? Note that picture printing is VERY sensitive to paper type, less so than black and white, and that for full color colors ARE blended in printing by layering color on color some.