Slow Android Phone

QCHQCH Ancient GuruChicago Area - USA Icrontian
I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 from T-Mobile (T989). I've rooted it and messed with all sorts of ROMS. All is good... some ROMS are not my taste, some where good. However, in January I tried Jedi Mind Trick and my phone started glitching... long pauses between touch commands and the phone doing anything. I reset it, wiped cache, tried another ROM (Jedi Jelly) and the problem followed. Bluetooth doesn't turn on most times. WiFi can hang. I see glitches in video and music. I never messed with the CPU settings or anything that deep for any of the ROMs. I even reverted and unrooted my phone to stock T-Mobile ROM.

So... what other troubleshooting things can be done? I know there is an inherent risk in rooting and using ROMs but I've never seen anything bad happen as long as you don't go overclocking to extremes...

Any help?

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    What recovery environment are you using?
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    Have you ever done a full wipe, as in "factory reset" when switching ROM's? If not, that might be the issue.
    TiberiusLazarus
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Yeah, have you ever selected "wipe data/factory reset" in recovery when you switched ROMs?
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    I use the ODIN Download mode and in Windows, β€œrecovery-cmw-hercules". Then I use SuperSU superuser to do my ROMs. I have done the full erase/wipe/factory reset from there. Divac(sp) Cache and I do that between each new ROM.

http://galaxys2root.com/t-mobile-galaxy-s2/how-to-root-icsgb-on-t-mobile-galaxy-s2-sgh-t989/
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    " From what i know if u boot in to hboot, power + volume down button, then click recovery, it will boot into the recovery."

I believe for thunderbolt it's actually both volume up and down at the same time, hold power, then release power when it turns off and continue holding volume up/down until you get to either hboot or recovery. From recovery, you should be performing the wipes. Not sure what supersu does in that scenario, but it appears to not be working as expected. Once you wipe data/factory reset from recovery, you can also wipe battery stats and dalvik cache if those options are available. Confirm you have a known good ROM on the sdcard and install it alone, test for your negative symptoms.
    I went back to T-Mobile stock ROM and upgraded to the latest. Still no Wi-Fi or Bluetooth... So I contacted Samsung and they walked me through several things and my phone is defective. Of course, only a 1 yr warranty and mine is 14 months so I either pay to fix it or get a new one.

I called T-Mobile and talked with them... I canceled my contract for $250. But my 4 lines were $200 and drop to $110 per month so it won't take a long time to pay off the $250. Now I can get a new phone and save $$$.

Nexus for $56 down payment and $17 per month for 24 month and I get the Nexus. OR $206 for Note 2 and $20 per month. Galaxy S III is, surprisingly, $76 down and $20 a month... THAT makes no sense.

What do you think? Nexus? Yes?
    Under their pricing plan for the Nexus 4, you'd be paying $464 for a phone that only costs $299 or $349 for the 8GB and 16GB versions, respectively. This is why carrier subsidies are total bullshit.

And for the Note II, they'd be making you pay $686 for a phone that only costs $613.
    That Note 2 phone doesn't SEEM to support t-Mobile's 4G or am I not seeing it?
    1700MHz UMTS is HSPA+, AKA T-Mobile's "4G".
    Amazon has the grey one for $611 with free shipping (Prime). Hmmmmm.... Birthday WAS yesterday and I do have money from that.... OR Nexus 4.
    Nexus 4 is considerably better hardware, and the 5.5" screen means diddly on the Note II because it's only a 720p screen.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    why buy last year's phone when the Xperia Z, SGS4 and HTC One are just around the corner with DAT HAWT 1080p?
    JBoogaloo
    Biggest reason... as the title of this thread... My phone is a dying. Wi-Fi and bluetooth dead, phone slow as snot, and battery life is about 8 hrs. Oh, and the power button is not working correctly and I really have to mash it to wake the phone up.

I am really torn between the Note and Nexus 4. I'd love to wait for the next generation but the Note seems to be kicking ass on the benchmarks and I have played quite a bit on it... I am torn....
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    you better root that phablet ;)
    I played with the Nexus and then the Note. I love the size and speed and the stylus and the 720p screen was still awesome. I bought the Note.