Can this laptop run 2 external displays plus its own?

TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
At work, I have an HP 8470p laptop. Running Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit. It has video out connectors in VGA and DisplayPort. I can run the laptops' built in display plus an external monitor with no problem, but I want to add an extra external monitor, for a total of 3 displays up and running their own independent screens at any time (extended displays).

If I run video out of the DP and VGA, one monitor or the other will work, but not both. Either one hooked up alone runs fine.

I tried using a docking station to run VGA and DVI out to the monitors, but the same problem. One monitor or the other will work, but not both. Using DP on the docking station instead of DVI didn't help either. I ran the docking station off a 150 watt power supply, so power should not be the issue.

Is the laptop incapable of running 3 displays, or does something have to be done in a certain way?

In display properties, when running the DP for the 3rd monitor, it will show 3 monitors with displays extended to both, but the monitor itself gets no video signal.

Comments

• If it has a 7570m, yes. I think you need to use the displayport plugs (one on the side, and one on the bottom) which means you may have to buy some sort of accessory. I'm not sure though.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    In all likelyhood, no. If you want a third display, you will probably need a USB video adapter.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Depends on the GPU.
  • Put up the specific HP part # of the laptop and we can see the specs.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited March 2013
    It has the Intel HD 4000 graphics, which I think is the gpu part of the i5-3320M CPU.
    midga
    Only two displays are supported without third-party splitters/adapters.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    I just tried plugging in the VGA monitor and the DisplayPort monitor and closing the laptop lid. That works, both monitors display normally. But with the laptop lid open, the video from the DisplayPort monitor goes black and the laptops' LCD panel gets the picture back.

I'll have to see if we have any VGA splitters or USB to video adapters around here, I don't know if that'll help or not.
    You'll need one of these.