new workstation advice

I got approved for buying a new workstation for work (that sounds weird). I need a lot of memory for development, 8gb isn't cutting it anymore.

Other than that, not sure what to get. I want a very quiet system that can support 3 monitors. I'm never going to overclock or mod it. Here is what I have in mind:

Corsair Obsidian 550D
Intel I7 3930
Some sort of AMD card since they seem to have better multi monitor support. @Thrax . Thoughts? I want to buy your shit.
Idiotproof water cooling for the cpu that fits in the case, does that exist yet? If not can someone recommend an easy to install, quiet, hsf
32gb ddr3 running in quad channel format
Whatever platinum plus power supply. What's good these days? Last time I built I got a nzxt.

Possibly 3x monitors

I need to keep this around 2-2.5k

What do you guys think?

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    h100i for cooling. what programs will you run on the machine?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Any GPU we sell will run at least 3 displays.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    What kind of work does this workstation need to do?
    and eh, if you're not going to oc, why anything other than the stock HSF?
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited April 2013

What kind of work does this workstation need to do?

Are you still working with your software dev on the software you were having us test? Looks like you need server grade work, if you plan on needing 32 GB quad channel RAM. The existing box could front-end into the server-- virtualized multi-session server, not mere file server. that is about 2.5 K for what you might need now if I am guessing right.

Tell us more about what this new box needs to do, how many sessions, what OS virtualized, etc.

• shwaip said:

Because quiet.

Regarding other questions about what I'm doing:
    Usually 2-3 instances of Visual Studio, a lot of compiling, tons of debugging.
    Usually 3+ vmware player instances running Ubuntu / Winxp-7
    Other stuff is standard, you know 20ish browser tabs at any given moment.

I don't need a server, but I want a ton of ram because this should last me 3 more years. When I built my last computer I laughed at the prospect of needing more than 4gb of ram. Then I needed 8. Now I push 8 once week during heavy debug sessions. Basically I'm in the process of developing a game, a video editor (which you guys did help test in it's infancy), and webcam/security software. Three years from now I don't know what I'm going to be doing, but I don't want to have to upgrade ram again in a year and a half. I am also going to be getting in to Mono programming and iOS stuff, so I'm sure more virtualization and IDEs are en route.

Lot's of file transfer between 4 existing SSDs, mid range in quality. 50/50 split between huge (40GB+) and tiny files.
    I'm sure gigabit lan is built in to most decent motherboards these days, and I do need that for backups/disk images.

I'm going to be playing some games, but pretty much a few hours of Civ5/TF2 each week and not much more than that. My existing computer is already great for that (2500k + nvidia 460). I also have Adobe CS4 and I probably use Photoshop once a day for cropping, resizing, etc...Once a week for tf2 sprays. Some Illustrator.

---
    I can take the Nvidia 460 out of my current setup, but what I really want is to go from 2xmonitors landscape to 3x portrait which would make life and productivity so much easier. Getting out of DVI would be nice just because anything with pins on it makes me feel like it's 1996 and I'm hooking up a serial modem to play LORD.

Also, I still am fascinated by Eyefinity gaming although I just doubt I can justify the cost given how little fun I get to have these days.
    edited April 2013
    Three year build, reasonably heavy use:

This CPU. Faster base and faster turbo than what you show even if not OC'd. This one I linked to is NOT a true server CPU, it is upper-end workstation suitable.

This motherboard-- C606 Chipset has SAS drive support and quad channel RAM support.This board will support up to 64 GB RAM at least if you need later to upgrade just RAM.

I will mention that Quad channel RAM is expensive right now, quite expensive. If you are willing to compromise some on channeling of RAM and go for speed of RAM instead of quad channeling it, motherboard recommendation will differ.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited April 2013
    You're sure you'll never want to OC the processor? Will you be wanting to go to the Dell monitor a bunch of IC's will rec (~$350, 24", 16:10)?

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Tushon/saved/1q70 is close, but I'll alter it based on what you say there. You can't get away from DVI if you want 3 monitors.

shwaip said:

Because quiet.
    then you'll want the intel stock cooler.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Corsair-H100i-CPU-Cooler-Review/1719/6
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    @pragtastic can chime in as well, but an SSD will be the biggest help to your Visual Studio usage.
  • I should have mentioned I'm transferring all the SSDs out of my current workstation, I don't need to buy HDs.
    shwaip said:
    Got it, that's interesting. The cpu used in that article was 95W, the one I'm looking at is 130W. Do you think Intel has a different HSF for the cpu I'm eyeballing, and would it possibly be louder?
    I also was looking at this article last night:
    http://www.kitguru.net/components/cooling/henry-butt/corsair-h100-h100i-performance-comparison-with-sp120-fans/5/

So I was thinking of getting the quiet mode sp120s + h100i, and ditch the stock h100i fans. That should keep me under 40db.
    It also looks like the Core i7-3930K does not ship with an Intel HSF to begin with, unless I'm missing something.

@Tushon I'm sure I won't be OCing. I just don't OC any more, because I'm a boring old man. Is a 850W PS necessary for that configuration you posted? Think I could get away with 650 or less? I'm never going to have dual video cards. Why can't I ditch DVI and use display port instead?

@Straight_Man I can't justify spending that much alone on a cpu/mobo, but that combo looks awesome :D

===

Thanks everyone, this is super useful and lot's of help.
  • Right, some of the new intel CPUs don't come with a HSF, so you have to spend money.

This HSF will exceed your needs, just two simple fans and a really good HS. Quiet on all levels and performance to match.

No OC in a workstation.

You're purchasing consumer memory? I guess ECC would put you over budget.
    The D14 is a little overkill merely to obtain "quiet" with no overclocking. The Noctua NH-U12P or NH-C12P would be more than sufficient.

And you can absolutely get away from DVI if you want 3 monitors. It's better for everyone if you do.
  • Thrax said:

The D14 is a little overkill merely to obtain "quiet" with no overclocking. The Noctua NH-U12P or NH-C12P would be more than sufficient.

Sure, more to show that watercooling isn't neccesary for this build, that'd be money spent out of the budget that can be better spent elsewhere.

Unless you just want it....then go for it.
  • Thrax said:

And you can absolutely get away from DVI if you want 3 monitors. It's better for everyone if you do.

How exactly do I do this? I feel like a derp, but I'm looking at a 7950 for example. It has two mini DP outputs. Do I get 2x mini DP to DP cables and a DVI to DP adapter and another DP cable?
  • Looks like the price for the D14 is the same as the two heatsinks @Thrax referenced once I toss in a $10 mounting kit for LGA 2011, so would it make sense to just go with a D14? I could get another brand, but Noctua is awesome. That fan I won at Epic 2012 is the cat's arse for quiet and quality.

The downside to the D14 is it's size, but I'm not getting memory with gigantic pointy heatsinks so I should be ok.
  • Great price on the D14 here, says it already comes with the 2011 kit.

amazon comes through again.
    THE BEST WAY:

Buy a Radeon with 3+ DisplayPort, and get monitors that offer native DP connections. These come at a price premium, but PowerColor, Visiontek and ASUS make them.

THE GOOD WAY (BUT ADAPTERS CAN VERY OCCASIONALLY BE FUSSY):

Buy a Radeon with 1xDVI+2xDP, and use an active DVI-to-DP adapter for one of the displays. Whatever you do, buy this and only this adapter if you choose to go this route.
  • Thank you @Thrax, very helpful stuff.
    Man these 6x display port Radeons are hard to find and they aren't cheap.
    I'm more inclined to go with the "good way" , but if you don't mind one last question would it work to just use 2x mini DP + 1x hdmi? I don't need Eyefinity gaming, I just need 3 monitors to do work with.
    edited April 2013
    If you have 3 displays connected, you get Eyefinity gaming by default if you choose to enable it. 2xDP/1xHDMI will also work.

Everything you need to know about Eyefinity can be found at my FAQ: www.amd.com/eyefinityfaq
  • Score! Ok everyone I think I'm all set. Thank you everyone for all the awesome advice and help, I needed it.

The D14 is too big, so The NHC12P won that fight. If anyone is ever in this same situation I found out you can get a free adapter:
    http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=nm_i2011_upgrade_order&setlng=en

I'm going with the NHC12P, 650W Rosewill, Dell U2312HM monitors. I am going to do pics in a week or two when this all comes together :)

@Straight_Man I can't justify spending that much alone on a cpu/mobo, but that combo looks awesome :D

Note that the X79 chipset does not support using Quad-channel ECC RAM-- Gigabyte only makes one C606 mothebroard available at retail at Newegg. So, the motherboard I mentioned is the only one Gigabyte makes that Newegg sells which will do that.

It will support that 3930K you mentioned. Note that the K suffix is more heat stable even if not OCed, as is the X of the 3970 variety. that is why it is labelled as the OCable one. It is binned according to heat stability.

The motherboard I linked to also is not the most expensive, Supermicro boards cost more, though they also make more C606 chipset boards.

• This is the motherboard I ended up with:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0064Z6YD2/

The memory controller for four channel ram is built in to the 3930k
    Um, IF the board has physical channels for quad channel and is socketed in number for true quad-channel.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    X79 boards are socketed for quad channel. ECC ram is an issue, as you pointed out, but the X79 chipset is for the socket 2011 CPU's and runs quad channel memory.
    Don't go with the Rosewill PSU. Please, please, please buy a real power supply from a known mfgr with good reviews, not Newegg's store brand.
    While it's a drop in the bucket, there's a code for $10 off $100 at newegg: VALPAK10

good until 4/22
  • Ya I don't need or want ECC. This isn't a mission critical server, and in fact I need it to be very much like a high end consumer machine for testing and development purposes.

@Thrax
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/5698/rosewill-capstone-450w-and-650w-80plus-gold/6

The review was pretty good, and from what I researched SuperFlower makes good 80+ 650w psus. I thought I got a good deal.
    What do you think could go wrong?
    Rosewill is Newegg's white label brand, which means the ODM for the PSU you've chosen could change at any time. There is no guarantee that you will be getting the same guts that Anandtech reviewed.
  • Alright then, I cancelled that part of my order and grabbed this instead:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B88Z314/

Looks like a great, cheap, SeaSonic clone.