Wiring a house for a home network

2»

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    The "best way":
    Internet > Modem > Router > 16-port switch > patch panel > wiring in walls > wall port (1,2,4 ports as needed) > device/switch > devices

As others have stated, try to plan for the future so that each wall port goes to an end device and always run the number of cables from patch panel to the wall ports (so 4 cables to a 4. It isn't a huge deal, especially if they are low traffic devices but it adds a possible problem each time you add a device. Your modem/router/16-port switch and patch panel can all be in a closet, or some combination. I imagine you and any possible future owners wouldn't want patch panels and cables hanging out of the wall in a bedroom/office.

This is going to be a good friend for this project.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    Tushon said:

I imagine you and any possible future owners wouldn't want patch panels and cables hanging out of the wall in a bedroom/office.

Why not? It adds to the geek chic of the house.
    Damnit, now I want to wire my house with CAT6. I just figured out that it would take $200 to get the supplies to install a wall mounted rack, patch panel and run 2 jacks to each bedroom and my living room....
  • I don't know if this helps kill anybody's ambitions, but my house has been wired completely with cat5e with exception of the patch panel I never finished. I haven't finished it because 1. lazy, but more so 2. just don't need it. I'd only invest the few 100s if you would actually use it.
    There's a lot of things I don't actually use, but I do anyway. If nothing else, I could write this off (to myself) as a good way to develop my SysAdmin skills when it comes to doing proper wiring. That said, it's unlikely I'll actually do it. I have too many other projects that are more necessary.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited April 2013
    ardichoke said:

CrazyJoe said:

Also does it matter who makes the Cat6 Cable? Monoprice had 1000ft for $105 but I found this one on Amazon for $25 less.

The Amazon one is CCA (copper clad aluminum) which is a lower quality cable. I wouldn't use it.

Multiport box is maybe not the right term. I just mean a wall mounted box that has multiple RJ45 ports in it. Like this but with 4 ports instead of 2. I know I've seen them elsewhere but I am suddenly having a hard time finding them.
    Use a standard wall box from the hardware store and install a keystone plate. When I was setting up installations at school, I used 4-port keystone plates and usually installed two Cat5e keystone jacks and two blank covers. You can get whatever you want though. Monoprice has a great selection of keystone jacks for cheap and you can get plates anywhere.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    So Newegg has this cable on sale for $50 for 1000 ft. Some of the reviews I've read said you want solid cable for in wall rather than stranded. What's the difference, and why does it matter?
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    Well, what you will find is that stranded is for short runs, real short runs, and that unshielded is also going to make interference and accept interference a lot. Even for patch cables of over 10' I will use solid strand shielded cable.

• ButtersButters CA Icrontian
    Solid cables are designed for in-wall/ceiling runs . They are less flexible and meant for punching down to a wall jack or patch panel.

Stranded are good for patch cables. They are the more flexible cable typically a little thicker and good for clamping down a terminator on.
  • Solid can get you slight performance increases, but I doubt it would be noticeable. I'm not sure what other advantages it has. If you want to go for super safety you can get plenum wrapped, which may even be required by local building code because it can withstand higher temps.

I think the main thing is just what was already said, solid is not flexible and stranded is.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

Solid can get you slight performance increases, but I doubt it would be noticeable. I'm not sure what other advantages it has. If you want to go for super safety you can get plenum wrapped, which may even be required by local building code because it can withstand higher temps.

I think the main thing is just what was already said, solid is not flexible and stranded is.

I'm running stranded throughout my house in various lengths of up to 100'. I'm able to transfer data between 110-120MB/s, very close to the maximum throughput for gigabit.
    Thanks for the input. I think I'll go with the stranded for now and see how that works since several of you have mentioned that you've used it in your own setup. Also I was lookin at this switch. Would this be a good one to use? I don't know much about TRENDnet.
    It isn't gigabit. Skip it.
    That's what I get for not reading the description closer. I put in a search for Gigabit switch and that one came up. Oh well. Back to the search. What brand names are good compared to others?
    What about this one?
    This is the lowest priced name that I trust, but your mileage may vary.
    For an extra $20, this one has much better reviews
    The TP Link one might be the one I go with. TP Link is the brand of Wireless Router that I have and I know these things tend to work together better when they are all the same brand. (Although I don't know how much of an issue that'd be with a switch.)
    (that should not be an issue at all with a switch. The ONLY time it should matter [in relation to this conversation] is for things like wireless routers and the wireless card on your PC are using some weird proprietary standard to claim boosted throughput).
  • ButtersButters CA Icrontian
    8 port GbE switch
    newegg shell shocker so today only 5/1 $19.99