In the Market for a new Monitor

MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
Earlier today I was doing some AutoCAD homework when the top 2" of my monitor shuttered and began casting a shadow over said area. The monitor still works but needless to say It's on it's last legs. It's an 8 year old 21" Dell LCD so it's past it's prime.

This brings me to the point of the thread, a new monitor. I want something in about the same size as my current monitor, 1920x1080, in a price range of ~$200 or so.

What are everyone's suggestions? Specific brands to get, ones to avoid? I haven't bought a monitor in years so I have no clue what to get. Last time I brought one LCD was the new thing and 1280x1024 was the max resolution...

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    What he said. You won't do better with your budget.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    Perhaps I just haven't done enough research, but for budget monitors Hanns-G has been my go-to brand. My TV and one of my monitors at home are from that company and they are quite nice especially for the price. We also have some of them at work and I've never heard any complaints (though I personally have ASUS monitors at work, since they are the largest we had available for workstations). If I were looking to buy a new monitor around the 150-200 mark right now, I'd probably get this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254092
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    Both seem like awesome suggestions but newegg links don't exactly help me too much as I wouldn't buy something like this online and if I did I'd be picking it up in store. Tigerdirect.ca links please...
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    MrTRiot said:

Both seem like awesome suggestions but newegg links don't exactly help me too much as I wouldn't buy something like this online and if I did I'd be picking it up in store. Tigerdirect.ca links please...

what, you want us to do your shopping as well?

MrTRiotJBoogaloo
    fatcat said:

MrTRiot said:

what, you want us to do your shopping as well?

Can that be arranged? :)

• RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    If I wasn't dead set on 1080p (more?), but I wanted to keep my budget to about $6-700, and I wanted 3 monitors...

What would you recommend then?

This guy (Greg's link) I have seen and looked at before. I like the stand better than the Hanns-G.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    It's also a significantly better panel than the Hanns-G, as it's high-gamut IPS vs. crappy TN.
  • The colors on the U2312HM are great. Next to my old LCD, it's absolutely night and day. Also, the stands on these are super fun and easy to work with. Highly recommended if you want a portrait display or just flexible landscapes. Also VESA, if you are getting three that is probably important because you might want to eventually get a kick ass stand to combine them with..
    edited April 2013

If I wasn't dead set on 1080p (more?), but I wanted to keep my budget to about $6-700, and I wanted 3 monitors...

What would you recommend then?

This guy (Greg's link) I have seen and looked at before. I like the stand better than the Hanns-G.

3x2412m = $836.97 (they are 10% off newegg right now) 1920x1200

3x2312hm = $593.97 (also 10% off right now) 1920x1080

choice is yours Ryan

I ended up getting a 24" Samsung LED monitor for $150. 1080 and a big improvement over my old one.
    JBoogaloo
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    I love Samsung panels, but I fucking hate that they don't put VESA mounting holes on any of their stuff (that I've seen anyway).
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited April 2013
    MrTRiot said:

I ended up getting a 24" Samsung LED monitor for $150. 1080 and a big improvement over my old one.

Great buy. What a difference fresh monitors make. I bought a pair of these 24" Asus monitors in October of last year and I'm loving it. I ended up giving about $150 ea. for these as well. It was a sweet deal at the time. I just hope I don't get too spoiled at work when I get my triple 27" Dell setup, however, if the price is right ...ya never know.

These do great AutoCAD homework as well.

edited April 2013
    It was originally $190 but I ended up price matching to get it to $150. Ended up being close to that with tax but I'm not complaining.

I think the hardest thing to get used to is there isn't any actual physical buttons on the monitor. It's all done by touch screen

Grats on the good find @MrTRiot.

With my tax return I'll have enough that I will reward myself with 3x 2412s.

soon.jpg
    edited April 2013

soon.jpg

run them PPP for some glorious 3600x1920 ;) ask @mertesn to post a pic of his PPP
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    fatcat said:

soon.jpg

run them PPP for some glorious 3600x1920 ;) ask @mertesn to post a pic of his PPP
    No nsfw posts please.
    BlackHawkmertesnRyanFodderJBoogaloo
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    Work: image
    Play: image

Bear in mind that not all games play nicely with this setup, but it usually only takes a quick configuration file edit to fix things up.
    RyanFodderMrTRiotfatcatJBoogaloo
    edited April 2013
    @fatcat - Newegg claims they are $309.

Here they are for quite a bit cheaper:
    http://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSharp-U2412M-LED-Monitor/dp/B005JN9310/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1365970010&sr=1-1&keywords=2412m

Edit: oops, wrong one. Now I need to decide if 23" is big enough.
    edited April 2013
    Got them from Amazon for about the same.
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian

Now I need to decide if 23" is big enough.

Twss.