This may be relevant to some of you [laptop resolution]

RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
edited August 2013 in Hardware
I remember reading several posts about laptops/notebooks complaining about size vs screen res. Well, here you go: http://www.tested.com/tech/pcs/454904-toshiba-announces-1600-133-inch-ultrabook-2560x1440-display/

Comments

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    Put an APU in it and I'm interested...except for that whole thing with Toshiba opting out of standard Catalyst drivers...
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    what good is 2560x1440 display if it doesn't have a GTX670/680/690 HD7950/7970/7990 pushing them pixels?
  • Super high def web browser in fancy metal encloser for $1500-2000?

Super high def web browser in fancy metal encloser for $1500-2000?

just get a Nexus 10 then with even more pixels!
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    Well then, I thought there were more people complaining about 13 and 14" laptops with 1366x768 or 1440x900 screens.. I guess I was wrong. Thought maybe this might show that better things are coming, not so much this model for $1600.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    This is a great first step. And the glut of 1080p/13" screens popping up in Win8 notebooks is also a very good thing. Ditto higher resolutions in Macs and tablets.

13x7 sucks.
    mertesnardichokeRyanMM
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    Ryder said:

Well then, I thought there were more people complaining about 13 and 14" laptops with 1366x768 or 1440x900 screens.. I guess I was wrong. Thought maybe this might show that better things are coming, not so much this model for $1600.

That was one of my complaints. The other is that the GPU is rarely up to the task of anything beyond basic usage, which is why I want an AMD system.
    While I appreciate "better things coming" it's too little too late.

Give me 4k resolution on everything!
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    I dunno, the Intel 4000 GPU isn't bad for day-to-day activity. Not going to play intense games on it, but it can definitely handle older or less intense games without an issue. Heck, my work Ultrabook only has an Intel 3000 in it (Samsung NP900X3D-A01US) at 1600x900 and it does just fine. Of course you won't play games on it, but it's not a gaming laptop... so.... what would you expect?

Also, ditto on 13x7 sucking.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    I'd love a laptop with that display. Especially if:
    a) it could actually run games at 1440p
    or
    b) they just did pixel doubling when games were running at 720p, rather than trying to actually do interpolation and making things look like ass.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    This post was tailor-made for @RyanMM and he's nowhere to be found...
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    Ooh... sexy. I probably wouldn't buy it though since it's from a manufacturer I've never heard of. Never know what kind of support you'll get with that kind of company.
    while i probably won't be buying that specific ultrabook, I hope it brings a bunch of competition into that market.
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/20/samsung-ativ-book-9-plus-and-ativ-book-9-lite-hands-on/

looks like samsung should have a 13.3 3,200 x 1,800 haswell ultrabook out soon!
  • That is going to make my work laptop jealous....
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited August 2013
    My new Zenbook with 1080P 13.3 screen is much easier on the eyes then most of my previous screens, desktop or laptop. It is very enjoyable to not get the eyestrain I started getting sooner and sooner as I age. I sort of agree with @fatcat that this is too little too late. But at least there is now movement to higher resolution, which I hope increases with popularity as more roll out to the public. For it is the general public that determines what we get by there acceptance to newer better things.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    Just go a new work laptop.
    Dell L6540
    i7-4800MQ with Intel 4600
    and AMD 8790M to drive that pretty matte finish 1080 screen.
    16GB RAM and 256GB SSD
    I know, it is big and heavy, but I can do everything that I need with it and live with one machine again.
    Oh, and when I am in the office it has no trouble driving the pair of Dell U2412M monitors.

I am in happy land.
    Latest review on the samsung ultrabook. looking mighty tasty:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/30/samsung-ativ-book-9-plus-review/

it's also got some comparisons at the bottom. The asus and yoga look like they might be nice also
  • It's about time they improved the trackpad. The Series 9 that my work provided to me has a track pad that is absolutely abysmal. It's way too sensitive, tuning it in the drivers barely helps, clicking is hit or miss... really it is the only complaint I have about this thing... Now to figure out how to convince them to replace this less than 1 year old ultrabook with the new model...