1TB USB Flash Drive

WingaWinga MrSouth Africa Icrontian
A friend of mine gave this to me today. I just stood and gaped at it with my mouth open wondering if all those 000's were real. It's made by Sony and I don't know how good their flash drives are but for USB 2.0 its pretty snappy. I have no idea what the price of one of these are, so if anyone can help me with that it would be cool.

Comments

• MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    This is a Kingston 1 TB USB 3 drive. If I had to guess the price on the one you have it would be close to $1, 000

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    That's insanely small for 1tb... I almost don't believe it, but if your computer sees it as 1TB, then damn you got a treasure there... This Kingston 512gb USB drive is a thousand bucks.
  • Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian Scoundrel Indianapolis, IN Icrontian
    0_0 *head goes sploody*
  • ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian
    O_O
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    :eek:
    I literally cannot find any reference at all to that drive on the internet. Are you sure that's not a clever fake that is misreporting 1tb to the OS or something? I'd be really curious to see if it actually, reliably holds 1tb of data.

So bizarre! Either way it's an awesome conversation piece!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    I am intensely suspicious that this is 1TB. I strongly suspect it's a misprint and/or a fake with firmware reporting a greater capacity than reality.
    That's kind of where my head is, too.
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    Thanks so much for the heads up guys. I took your suspicions under advisement and tested the device before i put any valueble data on it.

I agree the device is far to small to house a chip of that capacity. I took another picture of it swiveled, do you can get an idea of the true size of the housing.

The device shows up as having a 976GB capacity. It took over 250GB of movie files no problem. As soon as I added another 100Gigs or so, the files dissapeared from the folder completely. They also dissapear if I attempt to rename a folder on the flash drive.

It seems I have been given a cheap chinese knockoff. I will continue to run a few tests to see what the actual capacity of the drive is and how reliable it is.

On the bright side I got it for nothing and as Prime says, it makes a good conversation piece :D

Creeperbane2Linc