Expo 2013 Beer Tasting - The Reckoning

2»

Comments

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    In
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    in
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    I just want to say that I had a 2004 120min...in 2007. I can only imagine what age has done to that beer. So delicious.

Also that WWS is going to be delicious too.
    RyanMM
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Actually, I'm out. Bandrik can have my spot.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited June 2013
    FWIW, I only checked quads not because I don't want to do rares, but because I don't want to do rares at Expo.
    mertesn
  • RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian
    Lincoln said:

FWIW, I only checked quads not because I don't want to do rares, but because I don't want to do rares at Expo.

That's OK, there were 8 people who did want to. ;)

I feel bad about using a "cut the baby in half" approach, but with the limited number of seats, I gotta give first dibs to the people who expressed enough interest to click the checkbox. :)

Actually, I'm out. Bandrik can have my spot.

OK @Bandrik! You are in if you want it.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    Woot! In it to savor every drop.
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    Man, I've had my eye on this thread, and I'm bummed I won't be there. Probably will be around Saturday. Can't wait to hear about these rare beers. Enjoy CBS! It's a good one. :)

RyanMM
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited June 2013
    Thanks @primesuspect. Sorry you had to give up your seat, but I appreciate the opportunity to join the tasting crew. If I recall correctly, I missed out on the last beer tasting by the same luck: first on the waiting list... but this time I made it in, whoo!

@Lincoln, if you want in too, I could split my share with you.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    A 10 year old 120 minute? I imagine it will taste like a 60. That's an awesome beer list. :clap:
    Triumph, huge success, yadda yadda.

I can't thank everyone enough for attending and giving me an opportunity to open some of this stuff up.

In case anyone was wondering, the cheese was Grand Chimay, we had Boar's Head Abruzzese sausage, hickory smoked almonds, Roasted Vegetable crackers, Treat Dreams Mounds Road ice cream, gingersnap cookies, and a clementine orange.

Let me know your favorite parts of the tastings, what pairings you thought worked, what didn't, and any other comments about the event.

You all rock. That is all.
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    The difference between the 120 minute IPAs was amazing.

Strong beers, sir. Strong.
    I can't stop thinking about the 10 year old 120 minute IPA.

I have one more of those. My next oldest is 2009 or so. It was so good, do I drink it now or keep it laid down and see what it's like at 20 years?

BEER SO HARD
    GargTushonWagsFTW
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    That 10 year old 120 minute was one of the best beers I've ever had. Side by side with the newer 120 was AMAZING. Hops had recessed so much it was shocking. Great comparison.

That CBS. Mother effing CBS. Easily within the top 5 favorite beers I've ever had, just might be the best I've tried. I loved that beer so much. Shame I'll never have it again.

11/10 tasting, outstanding event.
    RyanMMWagsFTW
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    A++ reviews. I've enjoyed every beer tasting that Ryan has put on and this was amazing. Enjoyment/$ ratio was quite high.
    RyanMM
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited July 2013
    I second the 120 Minute IPA experience. I still don't like IPAs and other hoppy beers, but finding out what those "ugly ducklings" (in my eyes) turn into after a few years of aging was quite the eye-opening experience. Thanks again for making it happen, Ryan. :D
    RyanMM