Bottles or Cans?

2»

Comments

• JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    UPSLynx said:

I was just drinking a Boston Lager last night and kept raving about the cans to everyone on mumble.

After a side-by-side, I can confirm the beer tastes just as good out of a can. I had a sort of placebo effect at first, I was convincing myself that there had to be a difference, but after a few of them it's straight up the Boston Lager we all know.

Drinking my first Sam in a can right now and I completely agree with this. De-lish. Also on a positive note, their Octoberfest beer is out too, so that's a nice little way to class up my grocery cart holding the box o' cans, lol.
  • trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    Whatever is accessible out of a paper bag is good by me. :D
  • RootWyrmRootWyrm Icrontian
    Yesterday I had a "Eugene Porter" from Revolution Brewing. It was a buck forty-nine. "Porter in a can, how bad could it possibly be?" Bearing in mind that many porters are just crap by my measure.

Uh, how about absolutely frigging phenomenal? Seriously. No fancy over-engineered can, no ridiculous amount of metallurgy work, just a standard old 12oz aluminum can. I can count the number of better tasting porters than Eugene on one hand with fingers left over. Unfortunately, it's hard finding good beers in a can, because of the perception problem. I wouldn't say no to Thirsty Dog Siberian Night in a can.

So, yeah. Beer in a can can be good.
  • RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian
    One thing to remember is that cans are NOT good for beers that are going to be drank more than 6-12 months after packaging. The lining in cans does degrade with time and will certainly not hold up past the 1 year mark, and it will have a negative impact on the beer.

Stick your hop-bombs and crisp lagers in cans, but please bottle my imperial stouts and barleywines.