Need simple, repliable plug-and-play WAP / switch

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
Here's my situation:

My parents (2 states away) have a cable modem with 1 ethernet output.

I took their old DSL modem/WAP, put it into bridge mode & changed Ethernet 1 to the uplink. That let it give Internet to both their PC & their iPad. It was working fine when I left Saturday.

My dad came home yesterday and the old DSL model is no longer giving internet to the PC or over wireless. I had him try all the basics; restarting everything, release/renew IP. I can't effectively have them troubleshoot any further than that over the phone and I don't know anyone technically savvy to send over there.

My solution: I want to buy them the dead-simplest reliable WAP/switch available and send it to them, preferably from Amazon Prime. Any suggestions?

Comments

• If you put it in bridge mode, didn't you effectively disable all routing functionality so that it is only a modem? I think you need a wireless router.
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    I am a big fan of D-Link products for simple to use applications. Most of their Wireless gear comes with easy to read instructions and WPS for easily adding other wireless devices like printers.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited June 2013
    Some quick research tells me that the Cisco Valet is probably the best bet. It's designed to be a simple to use, no frills wireless router. It lives up to that promise allegedly.

A little bit less simple, slightly more expensive but also a bit faster and more reliable is the Netgear WNDR3700. Review

Finally, I'm going to do something I've never done before (and probably never will again). If you're willing to overpay (seriously, it's probably twice as expensive as it should be), get them an Apple AirPort Extreme. Apparently these things are as simple as it gets. Insert obligatory dig at Apple users here :P.
    Linc
  • RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian
    Lincoln said:

My solution: I want to buy them the dead-simplest reliable WAP/switch available and send it to them, preferably from Amazon Prime. Any suggestions?

You should get a router, pre-configure it with the necessary settings, and then ship it to them so all they have to do is plug it in and put the settings into their devices.
    Linc
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

If you put it in bridge mode, didn't you effectively disable all routing functionality so that it is only a modem? I think you need a wireless router.

It's not a modem, since he put it in bridge mode. Bridge = acting like a switch between two networks whereas a router would segment the two networks. I agree that he needs a normal wireless router and @ardichoke has recommended good choices and @RyanMM has offered the solution employing those choices.

buy wireless router
    setup at your house (it is probably possible to setup a web-based access for this)
    ship to parents
    unplug everything
    plug in ethernet cable from modem to new router
    plug in power on modem then on router
    verify connectivity
  • Well this doesn't matter per topic, but it is still a modem. It negotiates the signal with the telco. Putting it in bridge mode is just a setting that says bypass the built in router and blindly send packets out an ethernet port in hopes that a user has a routing device on the other end which is configured to handle said packets. In other words, do what any other modem that does not have a built in router does.

I'm in agreeance with @RyanMM's solution, although it requires just a bit of knowledge of how the ISP needs to have that router configured. I'm sure they are on dhcp, but primarily you need to look at how the ISP authenticates it's DSL customers. Ie.do you need to spoof a mac address, and/or call the ISP and tell them you have a new routing device please reset the mac address you use to auth, and/or do they actually need to specify a user/pass in the router.

Well this doesn't matter per topic, but it is still a modem. It negotiates the signal with the telco. Putting it in bridge mode is just a setting that says bypass the built in router and blindly send packets out an ethernet port in hopes that a user has a routing device on the other end which is configured to handle said packets. In other words, do what any other modem that does not have a built in router does.

I'm in agreeance with @RyanMM's solution, although it requires just a bit of knowledge of how the ISP needs to have that router configured. I'm sure they are on dhcp, but primarily you need to look at how the ISP authenticates it's DSL customers. Ie.do you need to spoof a mac address, and/or call the ISP and tell them you have a new routing device please reset the mac address you use to auth, and/or do they actually need to specify a user/pass in the router.

All excellent points on the second part.

If we're gonna draw this out, and I like it :D:
    The setup as I read it
    ISP > modem from ISP > the "old 'dsl modem/wap'" (which would be easy to decipher with a make/model) > device connected via ethernet and device connected via wireless

The definition of a modem is a device which translates from an analog signal to a digital signal (in most cases, a telephone line for DSL, coaxial line or cable, or fiber line for fiber to the home [though this last option usually involves a separate box that goes fiber > coaxial > you or fiber > ethernet > you]). The existing device certainly may have the ability to act as a modem, but it would not be accurate nor useful to refer to it as a modem in the context, because that is not how it is acting and doesn't help troubleshoot the issue.

What I suspect is happening is that the actual modem (in this instance) expects to see one device on the other side (either a single PC or router connected via ethernet) and may be getting the wrong sort of signals due to the interface being set as a bridge. Each device is looking to the modem for connectivty and it [the modem] can't sort out between them since that sort of routing uses NAT to sort multiple devices behind a single internet connection (and NAT is a routing feature, not available "just" modems). So it might have worked initially but the failed as both devices tried to use the modem. I'm obviously not certain given a lack of details and examination of the system, but I think we've already suggested the best solution and I know I'm being pedantic now :D:D:D

modem = analog to digitial
    router = moves data from segregated networks and allows things like multiple devices accessing the internet through a single source
    switch = puts multiple devices into the same pool of network space, allowing communication but does not provide routing functions
    bridge mode = pools multiple network segments as if they are the same, but does not provide routing (which is need)

bridge mode would be used for something like this:
    ISP
    ^
    router
    ^
    ethernet cables to a wireless access point (which is also a router, but you don't need routing functionality and already had it sitting around) and other ethernet connected devices like a desktop or printer
    ^
    wireless devices like ipads or laptops or printers
  • Yo dawg, all the confusion lies here:
    ISP > modem from ISP > the "old 'dsl modem/wap'" > whatever
    Where I was imagining it like so:
    ISP > the "old 'dsl modem/wap'" > whatever

The difference is you are literate, and I am not because I failed to read the second half of this sentence:
    My parents (2 states away) have a cable modem with 1 ethernet output.
    RyanMM
  • (Hence why I was trying to say he needed to get the DSL config settings for the potential router)
    It's k. Words are hard for all of us at one time or another. :P

bro-fist
  • *hits bro-fist with open hand*
    TURKEY!! gobble gobble gobble
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    Thanks, guys. :)

I appreciate @ardichoke reminding me of Airport, I know that it was difficult for him. ;) I opted for an Airport Express because it's less money and they really don't need more than that. Apparently you can set it up from your iPad with a couple touches, which is pretty rad. It's only $30 more than the Cisco Valet, and $30 is worth avoiding double-shipping or an hour on the phone doing tech support.
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    @lincoln, so an hour with you, incl. shipping, is $30? Interesting.
    primesuspect
    edited June 2013
    Jokke said:

@lincoln, so an hour with you, incl. shipping, is $30? Interesting.

My hourly rate for freelance is wayyy beyond that. Especially depending on the service being provided. :ninja:

Annes
    It arrived today. I called:

"Yeah, I plugged it in, but the light is amber. I have Internet on the PC but there's no wireless."
    "OK, grab your iPad."

4 minutes later everything worked. So. Good.