Expo 2013 - Minecraft Building Contests

BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats !TX Icrontian
edited June 2013 in Community
Howdy Miners,

This year at Expo we will be having two building contests; a timed creative build contest just like last year and a new long term building contest that will run throughout Epic. This thread will be where you should look for information on both of the events.

Minecraft Creative Building Contest (Short)

Thursday June 27th 5:30pm - 6:30pm

We will use the same flat map as last year, sectioned off for participants . This will be a creative build off so no one has to worry about death. You will have unlimited materials at your disposal along with the ability to fly around to build. I will announce a 'subject' for the build right before I say go. You will have 45 minutes to plan and build your creations. I will then stop the building and myself and other judges will decide on a final three and then further narrow to the Build Off Champion.

Minecraft Long Term Creative Building

Thursday June 27th - Saturday June 29th

In this contest, participants will be provided a seed and a theme for building and then will have more than a day and a half to build at their own pace. In this contest players will have the entire map at their disposal. Contestants will turn in a copy of their save along with coordinates for judges to be able to find your build. Judging for this contest will be heavily influenced by your use of the land given.

Seed and Theme will be posted here on Thursday after the Short Build contest. Contestants will be required to turn in their entries by Noon on Saturday before the Duct Tape Challenge.

The winners runner ups of each contest will receive custom build off trophies, Raffle tickets and maybe a few surprises! Winners will be announced as soon as results are available.

Mine On!

-Digi
colaQCHBandrikRahnalH102midga

Comments

• BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited June 2013
    I am digging this. Pun somewhat intended. :D

I don't have Minecraft on my laptop at the moment. What build/version should I look to get? I haven't 'crafted in a while so I don't know what version we use now.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    @BobbyDigi

On the expo server, there is already a "Minecraft Creative" shortcut. It runs and a little window pops up showing it to be running 1.2.5. What do I need to do to update this and will it help with your intended goal? Would you like to run it off the game server or do you have it setup on your PC already?

Let me know.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    @Bandrik 1.5.2 I think? There is an update 1.6 that is supposed to drop this week but I will have the version we need on hand for anyone that doesn't have access to it.

@Ryder You can download the Minecraft_Server.exe from here. To be honest I have not kept up with the recent changes so I will be doing a dry run tonight to test. Then with the new server file on there, all I'll have to do is drop in the map and tweak the settings file a bit and we'll be golden. Thanks.

-Digi
    Bandrik
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    In!
    edited June 2013
    The short contest went great. Here are the details for the Epic Build Contest:

If you are participating please let me know (post here would be fine) so I know to expect your entry.

Topic: Farming
    In Single Player Create a New World.
    Set Game Mode to Creative
    Set the Seed to: Elephant & Castle
    Alternative seed: -1348107679
    You should spawn on the top of some Extreme Hills islands around X 90 Z -183 and if you type in /seed into chat it should display the above seed number. If you do not let me know asap so we can get you on the correct map.

Rules:
    Don't use editors outside of the regular old Minecraft Client.
    No phallic farms ;)
    If you build more than 300 blocks away from spawn, please put a sign at spawn with the coords of your build.

Judging for this contest will be heavily influenced by your use of the land given. ie: Don't flatten out the world or build a flat platform farm.

You have until Saturday at Noon to submit your world to me. You can upload it to the network drive, I can provide a flash drive to drop or you can dropbox/Skydrive/other host it and send me a link to download. If you need any help making a copy of your world files, please do not hesitate to ask, I will be happy to help.

If you have any questions at all, find me and we will work it out.

I look forward to seeing your creations!

-Digi
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    Sorry! I forgot to put a sign at spawn. But here are the coordinates of my build:

X: -180
    Y: 72
    Z: -649

My creation is inspired by Mt. Bruce Station, where @Primesuspect and @Troublebaker are getting married. Here are some photos of the farm:
    http://imgur.com/a/PZ49x

And here is the farm website: http://www.sheepstuff.com/