Steam Family Sharing!

2»

Comments

• MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    Tushon said:

That really doesn't make sense in any way that games have been published recently (i.e. local multiplayer being almost non-existent or relatively pointless). It's been "if you want to play the game with your friends, you need to buy it" and doubly so with PC-based games. Literally the only game I personally can think of [don't crucify me] in recent history is Civilization allowing for a hot seat mode, so it's sorta-multiplayer with only one copy. Not saying it wouldn't be nice, but how does that sort of functionality make sense for the company. I see precisely where the currently envisioned system makes sense, especially for the kinda unstated demo without a demo purpose.

I only think about things like with my wife or with my extremely large group of nieces and nephews. I'd love to play games with them, but buying an extra copy just to play with them would be over the top not knowing they'd even play. I guess I think of allowing localized play or something similar to that. It doesn't have to be "Full Online" in the traditional sense. Although I can't think of a ton of games that have that anymore.

This is making me miss LAN mode in games.
  • PinkPink Colour Sweden Icrontian
    > @UPSLynx said:
    > holy balls, this is massive. To me, this is Steam giving the middle finger to the last big advantage the console gaming had. At this point, you can share, play with controllers, play on your TV, full social and streaming support, all in addition to traditional PC gaming. Meager exclusives are the only single reason to even bother with console gaming anymore, and that's not nearly enough for me to justify the cost of admission.

Well that and affording a PC that's good enough to game with.
    For me the consoles real advantage for the causal gamer has always been that you don't need to worry about your hardware being good enough to keep up. Sure, it does come at the price of the graphics, but I think thats still a vig argument to why many prefer consoles.

As for these news in general... Makes me wish I had someone to share my games with XD
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    This is huge for me. I have a niece and nephew that I've eased into Steam. Currently I've had to buy 2 copies of a game, one for each of them. They only have 1 computer to game with, so multiplayer between them is not possible. Thus, I can just get the game for one of them, and they can share with each other on the same rig yet have their own logins and thus sets of achievements.

I also have a secondary Steam account that's solely meant to lend to friends so we can play popular multiplayer games without them moaning about having to buy anything. I add games to it during "super" Steam sales, such as Left 4 Dead and Borderlands. This will make sharing this much easier, even if it's only for 10 rigs or whatever.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited March 2014