Nomad Zen Xtra

CobaltCobalt Connecticut
edited June 2005 in Internet & Media
Hey guys,

currently I have a Nomad II Mg, which holds 64mb of my Mp3's. I hate the hastle of having to dock it every morning before I go to school, pick which songs I want, set them in the order I want to, etc. So, I'm on my way to buy another one. First [duh] I looked at the iPod, but that sucker's too expensive for me.

Now I've settled on one, the Nomad Zen. The 40gb model is only around $260-270, and that's definately a deal on my part. Any of you guys use/see this thing? Whats your opinion/thought on it?

Comments

• Al_CapownAl_Capown Indiana
    edited February 2004
    Bulky :-/ (Content Ipod owner)
  • hitokirihitokiri NYC
    edited February 2004
    I used to have a Nomad II MG, then I bought a Nomad Zen USB 2.0 (yeah, its even BIGGER than the Xtra). But my USB2.0 has served me very well. I loved the price point and the fact that I can upgrade it at anytime with a standard laptop HD, to have more space.

Plus, the Xtra has a larger screen and removable battery. Go for it :) The price point and sound quality will not let you down.
  • TemplarTemplar You first.
    edited February 2004
    I have that exact model actually..

One thing you will find is that.. it is BIG. It takes an entire pocket up on loose fitting pants. The included leather cover makes it even bigger. Just remember.. it is freaking 40gb in a device smaller than your HDD in your PC.

Also, the navigation is kinda quirky. It jerks and lags a lot for me. Kind of an annoyance, but thank god it isn't a PDA. The thing holds a workday's worth charge, and then some (10+ hours, with a medium volume), and charges back to full in about 3 1/2 to 4 hours.

However, it isn't durable. It does contain a small HDD inside, so it's vulnerable to impacts and shock. Dropping it a few times on anything harder than carpet will probably mess some of it up. Also, if you jog like I do, it may skip if you leave it in your pocket. I just take it out and hold it in my hand. Solid-state memory (like the Nomad series) are better for "on the go" people. I have dropped it on concrete once (while I was jogging actually), and it still works, it just seeks a bit more than when I first got it. So yeah, a couple of drops and there goes $270.

And the best thing I've found it can do so far is back up data files :D I fear format no longer. I've got about 10gb worth of data, and about 2 or 3gb worth of songs on there, so I've yet to use half the space yet. Heh.

If you are hardcore crazy about music, or want a big mobile HDD to put stuff on, and you want to be the envy of your friends, grab the 40gb, otherwise I suggest the 20gb or the 10gb, if they make one that small.

It also has Creative's trademark EAX tech on there, which can do some cool things, but ultimately useless. Time scale for instance.. yeah that's what I thought. It does have an equalizer on it so if you're at that level, you won't be disappointed. Has some decent presets which encompasses everything I listen to, so no complaints from me, and the eq. does a LOT for the sound quality. Even a non-sound guru like me can tell there's a big difference. I always have EAX going.

Oh, and don't use the earphones they give you. Get some Koss headphones or something :D
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    I have a Zen NX (30gb)... love it... I could go in depth.. but <s>Captain Jack</s> Templar covered it completely :)
  • CobaltCobalt Connecticut
    edited February 2004
    So, should I go for it? Or are there any other suggestions?
  • tychotycho Santa Barbara, California!
    edited February 2004
    I have the Zen 2.0 as well. I really like it, mostly because it has a huge amount of space and the USB 2.0 is wicked fast. I have the 20gig model and don't come anywhere near using up all of its space.

I agree that it is kinda bulky, but most of the time i find a pocket or something to put it in that works. The interface could be better (i like the ipod's) but i suppose it could also be worse. There are some things that i find are a pain to do (like re-order your playlist). However, I have never had any problems with dropping it or anything and i do like how long the battery lasts.

My biggest complaint it the software that comes with it. If you get any creative mp3 player i highly suggest using this software: http://www.redchairsoftware.com/notmad/
    It allows the player to be interfaced like a external drive that you can explore. Also featured is easy organization and mass tag editing. It was like 15 bucks i think for a lifetime license.

Anyways, yes i like my Nomad Zen. :thumbsup:
  • edited March 2004
    I've had it all. I went from CD, to MiniDisc back to CD and then waited nearly a year to upgrade. I purchased an iPod 2 weeks ago and returned 3 days later. I had nothing but problems with the darn thing. From beginning to end it was a nightmare. I should have listened to my BF when he suggested I buy the Zen Xtra instead but I though I knew best... What I can tell you is that yes, it is a little bigger and sure, it's not as "stylish" (like that has anything to do with it...) but the Zen Xtra is much, much better for the price. It's bigger and better all around. No battery problems or extra cable purchasing required here. I've had my Zen for a little over a week now and am THRILLED.

I suggest you get this. It's the best bang for your buck.

:canflag: :D
    themarina
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    what exactly are your problems with the ipod?? i just bought it like couple weeks ago too, and i haven't had one problem with it yet, that is if u don't count that i scratched my lovely ipod.
  • edited March 2004
    Don't get me wrong. I bought it first for a reason. I really like the iPod and was very, very disappointed that I had to take it back. But for $510 CND (which was what I paid for the 15GB, USB Cable and Case) the darn thing better work really well and mine (along with the person in front of me and the 4 others who returned theirs over the weekend - all to the same store) had battery problems. That's a huge number considering that they only sold 12 over the past 3 weeks. Maybe I just got unlucky but the bottom line is that for me, it didn't work. :-/
  • edited March 2004
    Well, I've had my Nomad Zen NX for about 6 months, so I've learned alot. I'm actually not very happy with it. Here's why:

First, no dock. That dock makes a crap load of difference when you wanna listen to the music from your Nomad on your PC or even recharging. In order to do this with the Nomad, you have to first plug in the adapter then the USB port (which is a pain if you just keep your music and data files on the Nomad like I do).

Second, no upgrades to Nomad's software or firmware. Creative doesn't show very much love to it's consumers. The software is TERRIBLE. And the firmware needs to be more user-friendly.

Third, while other MP3 players are coming out with new cases, car holders!, in-line remotes, memory card readers, etc. Nomad has came out with....well, absolutely nothing. No accessories at all.

I know the IPod costs more, but it's probably worth it. The only thing close enough to the convience of an Ipod is the Rio Karma. I'm waiting for the new Rio Karma 2 coming out soon and then I'll get rid of this piece of crap.
  • edited May 2004
    The main reason I bought My Zen (beside the price) over the I pod was the replaceable battery. I'm not sure what will happen with the I pod when the battery fails
  • celchocelcho Tallahassee, FL Member
    edited May 2004
    apple has already dealt with the battery situation. it's like 60 bucks for a new one, which is pretty reasonable i'd say.

rio karma is pretty sweet.
  • edited June 2005
    echno wrote:
    Well, I've had my Nomad Zen NX for about 6 months [and] I'm actually not very happy with it. Here's why:

First, no dock. That dock makes a crap load of difference when you wanna listen to the music from your Nomad on your PC or even recharging. In order to do this with the Nomad, you have to first plug in the adapter then the USB port

I understand docks can be convenient, but I just keep a USB cable next to the power dongle on my desktop. Takes like 5 seconds to attach both.
    echno wrote:
    Second, no upgrades to Nomad's software or firmware. Creative doesn't show very much love to it's consumers. The software is TERRIBLE. And the firmware needs to be more user-friendly.

Huh? Creative has released 20 versions of the Zen firmware in the last year! Dealing with a variety of issues and upping the sound response to -102dB. Creative is a sound equipment company and you can't beat them for sound quality (via EAX et).
    echno wrote:
    Third, while other MP3 players are coming out with new cases, car holders!, in-line remotes, memory card readers, etc. Nomad has came out with....well, absolutely nothing. No accessories at all.

Since when was there a memory card reader for the iPod, except from third parties? New cases, remotes, FM tuners all exist!

[QUOTE=echno...the only thing close enough to the convience of an Ipod is the Rio Karma. I'm waiting for the new Rio Karma 2 coming out soon.[/QUOTE]

I'll agree that the Karma is very nice... but limited in capacity, which is why I'm posting here.

I've more than filled my 30GB XTRA. Has anyone gotten a 80GB upgrade from MaxedMP3Players? I'd really like the capacity, but have never ordered online before.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    The most recent post in this thread (other than yours) is a year old.
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited June 2005
    hbrown wrote:

Huh? Creative has released 20 versions of the Zen firmware in the last year! Dealing with a variety of issues and upping the sound response to -102dB. Creative is a sound equipment company and you can't beat them for sound quality (via EAX et).

When Echno posted that the date was 03-26-2004. You posted on 06-23-2005. When Echno posted that, the information was accurate.

When you revive old threads to comment in them, please check the dates of posts before you criticize them. :)

Dexter...