After Market rear-view camera

BetsyDBetsyD Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
So recently was freaking myself out about accidentally backing over my son or another small being since I don't have a rearview camera on my car. Did some googling and Amazon helpfully suggested these 3 parts for "DIY"
Screen:http://www.amazon.com/Camera-Monitor-Support-Rotating-Screen/dp/B007SLDF7O/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1380508762&sr=8-4&keywords=rear+view+camera
Transmitter:http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Transmitter-Receiver-Vehicle-Backup/dp/B008Z9E4DW/ref=pd_bxgy_e_text_z
Camera:http://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Vehicle-Backup-High-definition-Viewing/dp/B005CTKYB4/ref=pd_bxgy_e_text_y

So has anyone done a DIY rearview camera? I am not sure I want to cut through any part of the car, and I'm also not completely convinced that rearview cameras are a thing that should be DIYd.

Comments

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    We're looking for a new car, and I've thought about adding a rear view camera if we get a wagon, since I'm used to a much smaller car with better visibility.

I'd lean towards a simpler system. This one integrated into the license plate frame wouldn't require any funky screws into your bumper. You'd still need a monitor to view it. My preference would be to get an in-dash receiver with video input that the camera could plug in to (example). That way, no extra screen just for the camera. I believe there are also rear view mirrors that have a screen in them, but I would imagine routing the video wire to it would be more of a pain.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    In case you don't find something suitable online, you could go to your local car audio shop. I don't think I've been in one that doesn't have a rear-view camera system and they'll also install it for you.

Telling us what car you have could also help us narrow down searches. Your car could have an enthusiast community and somebody may have already done it themselves.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    paging @sledgehammer70. He just did a DIY kit on his car, so he should be able to answer any questions.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    @BetsyD I happen to have an aftermarket stereo available (pulled from my previous vehicle) that supports a camera. Does your car have space for a double DIN unit?
  • BetsyDBetsyD Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    @blackhawk: I have a 2010 Honda CR-V. I don't think anyone gets too into CR-Vs but maybe I will be suprised. My first instinct was "I'll just buy the Honda one and have my dealership install it" (We get a really good deal through our dealership due to our costco membership) But the 2010 Honda CRV only have backup sensors not a camera according to the website.

@mertesn: No idea but since my keyless remote is routed through the stereo I don't really want to do anything that involves modding the stereo.

@gargoyle: The link you posted goes to an in-dash screen but no license plate cam. Simplicity is preferred but I don't know how I would run wiring from my license plate since its on the door not the bumper.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    BetsyD said:

@mertesn: No idea but since my keyless remote is routed through the stereo I don't really want to do anything that involves modding the stereo

Google tells me that the keyless entry actually has nothing to do with the radio but with the harness. They sell harnesses for aftermarket radios that keep the keyless entry ability.

Although the aftermarket radio route would be more expensive it is more seamless. With a brief search Crutchfield has a list of rear view cameras that are compatible with radios of their respective manufacturers. You'd only need the radio and a camera. You wouldn't have that bulky 7" LCD on your dash that you can't use for anything else.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    BetsyD said:

@gargoyle: The link you posted goes to an in-dash screen but no license plate cam. Simplicity is preferred but I don't know how I would run wiring from my license plate since its on the door not the bumper.

Oops, forgot the first link for the license plate frame.
  • BetsyDBetsyD Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    BlackHawk said:

Google tells me that the keyless entry actually has nothing to do with the radio but with the harness. They sell harnesses for aftermarket radios that keep the keyless entry ability.

Interesting. The dealership said that I would need to reset my radio anytime the battery is removed before my keyless remote would work. But maybe he was generalizing.