I need a new host for my website. Any suggestions?

Tim-KTim-K Southwest PA
edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
Back before the Icrontic board got crashed, I'd asked this question and has an answer fron someone who sounded like they could have done the job for me. But it was lost in the crash and I couldn't contact them.

I have a website on the internet featuring a WEBSHOW. The site is nothing complex, just HTML, and the Webshows are all .WMV files that play in Windows Media Player 9.0 (you NEED 9.0).

Although my current ISP has done very well for me, they charge a lot for disk space. I'm currently paying $27 a month for 60 MB, and it's full after only 19 episodes. Their best offer would be $50 and 80 MB of space. Server co-location starts at $80.

They make lots of excuses, like "it's the policy", and "the boss makes the rules", and other BS like that.

The fact is that I have a unique site and storage need, and they can't handle it anymore. Well, they COULD, but I won't pay what they want.

I also have and want to keep getting log files so I can monitor the amount of traffic to my site.

See the site and shows at www.loudmouthtim.com

Anyone who can handle it and provide a couple hundred MB of disk space and 5-10+ GB data transfer a month or more, leave a message here or email me using the Contact information on the site.

Thanks.

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2003
    One of S-M's Bigwigs runs this operation. You might check there.

Prof

PS: If you haven't done so already, please give us your input in the “Utilities Discussion – Week2” thread under General Software!!! This week we are asking for your recommended programs in these categories: HD Speed benchmark, CD Drive Speed Benchmark, Video Performance benchmark:nudge:
    ad.png 11.8K
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    One word:

Sarcnet
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Welcome back, Tim! E-mail primesuspect about sarcnet... he's got great rates. You'll definitely do better going that route than with your current service.
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited July 2003
    I say Sarcnet too. Not because I'm affiliated but because they bend over backwards. I've run poor Prime ragged in the last 4 weeks.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    MediaMan said
    I've run poor Prime ragged in the last 4 weeks.

Yep. I think prime is getting sick of those trans-atlantic phone calls. Poor guy, he never gets a break. But hey, Sarcnet rule!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    I can't think of any hosting companies off the top of my head, but if I discover any, I'll be sure to let you know.....
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited July 2003
    primesuspect said
    I can't think of any hosting companies off the top of my head, but if I discover any, I'll be sure to let you know.....

subtle...real subtle. :nudge:
  • RobRob Detroit, MI
    edited July 2003
    Well, I guess that Sarcnet banner isnt too big after all ;)
  • MarkTAWMarkTAW Brooklyn, NY
    edited July 2003
    Sarcnet.

I'm not even a customer and Prime answers all my IM questions about hosting, even going as far as to recommend other people if they'd genuinely meet my needs better. HE ROCKS!

:thumbsup:
  • Tim-KTim-K Southwest PA
    edited July 2003
    Okay then, looks like I'll get some details on what Sarcnet can offer me.

Primesuspect, I'll look at the link and email you about it.

5 minutes later -- I emailed a message to webmaster@sarcnet.com .
    edited July 2003
    I had gotten a failed delivery notification, so I'll post my email here for primesuspect to read:

Webmaster / primesuspect, here I am. I'd like to know what kinds of option packages I can get to host my site www.loudmouthtim.com .

Here's the things I'd like to have:

1. A couple hundred MB of disk space. The site will slowly grow due to the nature of adding new webshows. It has gone from 0 MB to 60 MB in its first 3 months.

2. Data transfer rates? I think 5-10 GB a month will be adequate for now, but that will also increase as the word gets out about my shows.

3. I'd like to have log files so I can monitor the amount of weekly traffic to my site and what they look at.

4. Ability to FTP new shows to the server as they are added. You probably already have that.

Please email me back here at loudmouthtim@hotmail.com with the range of hosting packages and prices that you have. Thanks.

There it is.
  • MarkTAWMarkTAW Brooklyn, NY
    edited July 2003
    Tim - earlier I think you implied price was important, just out of curiousity, what is your price range?
    edited July 2003
    I'm okay up to around $30 a month or so. Maybe $35. I'm currently paying $27 a month, but that's with a 60 MB disk space limit. My current ISP is being a real tight ass about disk space. Data transfer is mostly unlimited, but has been largely unused so far.

With the capacity of hard drives these days, I think that's just ridiculous. 100 MB to 200 MB is practically NOTHING these days! Well, not nothing, but not using a whole hard drive all by itself, either.

www.loudmouthtim.com
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    being a fellow web "entertainer" (at least I'd like to think of myself as such) I can very much recommend primesuspect's operation. First off: they are always around to answer your questions. ALWAYS!!! second: you won't run out of disc space. third: ???? Fourth: he hosts my site addaboy.com, so I know what I'm talking about. Fifth: Profit!!