Time for Small World 2

CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷDer Millionendorf- Icrontian
edited December 2013 in Gaming
Small World 2 is out now for Steam.

If you're not familiar, it's the asynchronous turns digital version of one of the best area-control boardgames out there.

Who else has it?

Comments

• IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    It looks like it could be really fun, depending on how many people are interested I may very well buy it.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    I have it on iOS and Steam. Ready to play whenever...as long as I'm not at work because I like my job.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    It's asynchronous, so you can take your turns whenever you please. Thart's the best part. :D
    edited December 2013
    Started a game with @mertesn (apparently, whether he likes it or not?) to see how it works. couldn't figure out anyone else's Days of Wonder name.

Edit: Also: I added two 'mertesn's to my buddy list. I hope both are the mertesn I wanted. I may have started the game with your iOS self?
    edited December 2013
    I don't see either game, but I haven't had a chance to run it on Steam yet. There's probably some voodoo there that will fix everything for me...I'm not seeing my backer rewards either.
    I see one game and my backer rewards appear to have...appeared.
    Did that game go to your iOS or your Steam? Or both? If both, you should combine your accounts. (I had to do that too because it created another account for my Steam game, when I already had an account for TtR on Android.)
    I only have a single account for Small World. I haven't even run it on Steam yet, so perhaps you saw my registered GameCenter account on iOS and my name in your Steam friends list. That or it's my alternate @UPSLynx personality causing havoc again..
    Figured it out. There were two accounts tied to me: one for iOS (mertesn, the one we're playing) and one for Steam ({IC} mertesn). I've merged the two accounts under mertesn. Never saw the one for my Steam account, but at least there's now one account to rule them all.
    Sweet. Now we just need to convince more friends to buy the game. The asynchronous turns works well so far, though the notifications are a bit too subtle.
    I get a standard notification in the iOS version. As far as I can tell, I'd have to either leave the game running in Steam or remember to open it on a regular basis to look for turns. It's pretty much the same notification setup as Hero Academy.
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    I ended up buying it anyways, I think I have both of you on Steam and I'd be overjoyed to play a game with you guys.
    mertesn
    I've played the board game and the first revision of the iOS game. Both are great.
    Ilriyas said:

I ended up buying it anyways, I think I have both of you on Steam and I'd be overjoyed to play a game with you guys.

Set up a Days of Wonder account and you'll be able to add people to your "buddies list" within the game.

My username: mertesn
    edited December 2013
    @CB do you have all of the expansions?

Edit: I'm guessing so since the game let me enable all of them.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    I picked it up on Android, since from what y'all were saying it sounds like it's cross-platform. So far, I played a little and it was fun, but then I found out locking the phone crashes the game.
    edited December 2013
    I only have the royal bonus expansion. One game that I got invited too (I don't know by whom) will not load. It tells me (wrong game) when I try to load from the notification, and it does not appear in my games list. If you invited me to a game, and I have not turned, it is because bork.

The turn notice thing needs work, but that's more Steam's fault than DoW. At least the game loads up super fast, so checking for turn in the game is not a chore, like it was for that other asynchronous game we tried to play.
    Yeah, that was probably me. I had all the expansions turned on and started a game with you. I figured the game would either disable the ones you didn't have or would prevent me from starting such a game.

In other words: feature request.
    Have you guys seen if there is a way to look back at finished games? The first few games I finished, it game me an update as if I had one more turn, so that I could watch my opponent's final turns, then see the results, but it didn't do that for the three-player game we just finished, and so now I don't know what the final scores were.
    Haven't seen that option. I have no idea how the three player game turned out.
    That last 1v1 was close. You kicked ass with those Amazons at the end.
    :D
    edited December 2013
    According to DoW if the host starting the game owns an expansion, everyone in the game may use said expansion for that game.

I own all the expansions.
    Me too. As an experiment, I started a game with @midga with all the expansions turned on, and it works fine, so not sure what happened with that other borked game.
    I did confirm that a purchase on one platform does not follow to other platforms as it does in Hero Academy :(
    edited December 2013
    But if you start the game on steam, you can still play your turns on iOS, right? so in that way you can still play the steam expansions on the go?
    Multiplayer, yes. And I purchased them on iOS because I have the iPad with me more often than the laptop lately.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    Pretty fun game. I wish they had better colour distinction, though.
    Does it kick you from the game if you miss the 48 hour turn window? Steam was borked for me the last few days, and I think several games disappeared from my list. :(
    I believe that is the case.
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    I experienced this as well... games gone. I checked in that time frame though, but the game stated that I didn't have any games.