Account hacked, guild bank gone

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
My account got hacked last night. Dunno.

26K gold taken from guild bank.

I'm sure they'll restore it.

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Sounds like you need an authenticator. It's free for Android, but keep in mind that you will need to deauth if you change phones or go through a semi-annoying validation process.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    BUT WHAT ABOUT YOUR DRAGON
  • ktdonektdone College Station, TX Member
    That sucks, I hope they restore it! This is making me consider using my authenticator again...
    You really should. I bought a keychain one and leave it by my computer, but you can just as easily get it on any phone. I got mine after an account hack, that Blizz was able to restore, but smooth sailing ever since.
  • ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian
    I have the authenticator app on my phone. Been using that for a while.
    JBoogaloo
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Jackie, the dragons are account-bound, so it's safe :)

THOSE BASTARDS... They emptied Kaitolainen (my original character), and SERVER/FACTION TRANSFERRED HIM. Now he's a naked night elf! GLARBLRBLRBLBLR
  • ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian
    damn that sucks. =(
    Yep, that's how they usually get it done. Liquidate to one character, and he ends up naked and alone, quietly crying on a new server with no friends.
    Oh he's got lots of friends..... with random names :grumble:
  • Never not 2-factor auth all the things. I wish more things supported GAuth
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    Authenticator ftw.
    oni_dels
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    Explain this like I'm 5 please? In terms of TF2 if at all possible.

The guild has a bank account from currency collected in game? What is it used for? Is 26K a lot?

-Digi
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    ardichoke said:

BobbyDigi said:

Explain this like I'm 5 please? In terms of TF2 if at all possible.

Hats hats hats hats hats HATS hats HAts haTS crafted weapon hat trade key hats hats hats.
    Thank you

-Digi
    ErrorNullTurnip
    The guild bank receives money from various sources (people can directly put money in, profits from selling "guild owned" items, and some activities automatically produce gold like 3+ people grouping up and completing a dungeon together). The money can be used for a lot of things, typically buying stuff off the auction house to either craft something or mats for profession leveling, but also cosmetics like clothing without stats or mounts that look different than others ones, etc. 26k is a decent amount. For example, leveling from 80 to 90 and completing 4 zones worth of quests, I received about 8k gold total, but you have some immediate money sinks like 4750g for the highest flying skill (faster than before and/or flying in pandaria).

Also, #hats
    BobbyDigi
    The guild, when raiding, needs lots of consumable items (like food and whatnot to buff stats). In terms of TF2 - pretend we were on Wave 7/7 and suddenly all of our money was gone and we couldn't upgrade.
    BobbyDigi
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    Just FYI, there is a feature in the guild ranks that makes it so that for a person to be of a rank they must have an authenticator attached to there account so that the guild vault or guild itself doesn't magically disappear if those in power get hacked.

My friend got hacked after we started playing again. He was able to get 99% of his account restored. That 1% though really hurt him to lose: RealID/Battletag friends. He particularly enjoyed spending time with these friends, and this was the only way to keep in contact with them. Normally he gets angry at negative stimulas, but this was the first time I've seen him actually be sad in the almost 15 years I've known him. Community is the real joy and hook behind MMOs.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    ...he could get the contacts back?
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    Thrax said:

...he could get the contacts back?

Tried. Could not. He has no other way to contact them and Blizz wouldn't restore them.
    Surely his friends would reach out to him if they were his friends.
  • BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell Icrontian
    See Also: pretty much all of my previous grumblings about Battle.net~

I HATE how crummy their security is. I've lost two accounts before to gold-sellers and the like (one time from someone literally walking out of their backend with a huge list of passwords, I'm dead serious), hence why I had to buy the game again to get back into it this time. I made sure to pick up the authenticator app for my phone first thing and set it so that I have to use it EVERY time I either log into the website or into a game.

I haven't had a single problem yet, which is great. I just wish the authenticator wasn't a necessary thing. I'm lucky that this year was the year I finally had been able to get a smartphone. Folks who aren't so fortunate have to buy a dumb keychain accessory from the Blizzard store just to not have jackasses hijack the games they already paid Blizz good money for in the first place.

It's pretty shitty when this is considered the -accepted- solution to the issue of account security, rather than fix your own damn system in the first place.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    BHHammy said:

Folks who aren't so fortunate have to buy a dumb keychain accessory from the Blizzard store just to not have jackasses hijack the games they already paid Blizz good money for in the first place.

It's pretty shitty when this is considered the -accepted- solution to the issue of account security, rather than fix your own damn system in the first place.

Unfortunately the only way they could possibly make it more secure (without 2 factor auth, which even Google and Steam use pretty extensively now) is to make it even more difficult for users to use. There is a fairly large monetary gain to be had with account theft and Blizzard would have to go to extreme lengths to make it more secure.

Also, they technically have a Battle.NET desktop authenticator, unfortunately it doesn't help if your machine is compromised (the most likely issue).
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    Cool, tell them to keep all the garbage that was in there. :)
    JBoogaloo
  • pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    I wanted to jump in and promote the idea that guild members with high-level access to guild resources should be required to have an authenticator. The phone app is simple and easy to use. Sucks that its necessary but that just seems to be the way it is, no reason in fighting it.
  • HydrarHydrar Columbia, MD Icrontian
    Bank has been restored. Demoted Prime temporarily until his account is secure.

They took 26,454 gold and one Chaos Orb (worth 6g).
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    I have had my phone authenticator since they released it and have been pretty lucky since (of course now that I said that, you know...).
    My accounts have all been restored, everything is back in order. Authenticator added, have core hound to prove it.

The shitty part is, I HAD the authenticator before but I removed it when I stopped playing and never bothered to add it back. Bleh.
    JBoogaloo
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    How does this happen so easily to people that are careful about security (sans 2 factor ofc) on battle.net? It happened in Diablo 3 to my brother and 2 other friends who are hardcore about unique, strong-typed passwords. I don't get how hackers get this stuff so easily when there's not 2 factor in play.
    Brute force attempts (massive botnets in China) or infected zip files from UI addon websites.
    JBoogaloo