Pulled the trigger on GTX-770

csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
edited January 2014 in Hardware
Like the title says, I bit the bullet and pulled the trigger on this card EVGA 04G-P4-3779-KR GeForce GTX 770 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Classified Hydro Copper Video Card. My current GTX-570 has been hard crashing my system for the past few months when I game, especially in Hawken, so I decided to go ahead and do it after much deliberation. I can't even run the new 3dmark anymore.

Don't get me wrong, I was all ready to buy a R9-290 back when it was priced reasonably (for a gamer, which I consider myself only soft-core). But, the GPU prices have gotten so out of hand that I just got something to hold me over until future times can make owning a desktop GPU affordable again. Or, maybe I could just take up litecoin mining in my spare time ( I don't think so)?

At any rate I hope my issues are resolved when my new card gets installed.

(/end wimpy rant)

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Yeah the AMD cards are ace for mining, which caused their prices to shoot through the roof. Either production will catch up or the return will go down on mining and you'll have normal prices again.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    They have done some work on cudaminer and it gets them a lot closer, I think the 770s are doing 500khas scrypt now. I have serious issues with Radeon drivers crashing, I think you made the right choice in the long run.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Without an architectural overhaul, NVIDIA will never match AMD in mining.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    GTX770 is a great card. For $340 you're getting GTX680/HD7970 performance
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited January 2014
    Thanks guys. I feel way better about my move now,
    fatcat said:

GTX770 is a great card. For $340 you're getting GTX680/HD7970 performance

I payed quite a bit more ($480 saved about $100) and it was "open box". This is the EVGA Classified Hydro Copper edition. It is now installed and runs like a champ. So far, haven't seen temps rise above 30c full load in gaming or F@h.

I think I'll share this thread. I'm still in such disbelief.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    csimon said:

I think I'll share this thread. I'm still in such disbelief.

I don't understand why people make such hay about the operating temperature of a product, if it does so by design and does not compromise product performance.

It wasn't so long ago that 55C was the cap for CPUs, then Intel moved that goalpost to 90C for more cores and higher clockspeeds. Nobody batted a lash. Why? Because it was by intent and by design, and higher performance was the result. The same facts are bearing out in the GPU space, but everyone is having a conniption. It astounds.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    Thrax said:

I don't understand why people make such hay about the operating temperature of a product, if it does so by design and does not compromise product performance.

It wasn't so long ago that 55C was the cap for CPUs, then Intel moved that goalpost to 90C for more cores and higher clockspeeds. Nobody batted a lash. Why? Because it was by intent and by design, and higher performance was the result. The same facts are bearing out in the GPU space, but everyone is having a conniption. It astounds.

Well I think mostly because that guy was running the watercooling edition without a watercooling system or even a fan.
    Tushon
    You're right, and I should have clarified that I was digressing.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    it was drilled into us for so many years that >90c is bad. I still don't like my GPU above 70c. stubborn? probably :p

110C = 230F = easy-bake
  • So.... if I run a watercooled GPU without it being in a loop, I can bake delicious cupcakes on it?

I'M IN!
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    Well recently there was a GPU release that ran really warm but it seemed normal since the card fan never spun up really high, until people started cooling it more then the stock did and everyone realized it was too hot.