new mouse recommendation

Sadly my @Thrax Edition Genius DeathTaker mouse is dying on me. It frequently disconnects and reconnects to the USB and after it does it for a while all USB devices in my system stop working without avail unless I do a soft reset. I feel like the mouse is the culprit.

What sort of mouse does Icrontic recommend for someone who uses macros for productivity and generally plays FPS games, occasional rpg?

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Razer Naga, a 12 macro buttons, though I believe they have to be mapped to other functions because they are not "extra buttons". I hope someone can tell me that's incorrect though :)
    PirateNinja
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    I would recommend the RAT 7, but mine is giving me trouble. Not sure if it's the mouse or my system, though.
    PirateNinja
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2014
    Noooo! I was certain my autograph would make it immortal.

The Razer Naga's thumb buttons map to numpad or the row of numbers above QWERTY. The decision can be made by a toggle on the bottom of the mouse.

I've had mine set to the numpad since day one, and it's been a treat. You can remap the buttons with the Razer Synapse software, but I don't like having unnecessary software running on my system.
    PirateNinja
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    ^^ That's what I need to do ... lulz
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    FYI - I think that switch we all have changed in newer models of the mouse, might want to check first. Otherwise, another vote for the Naga.
    PirateNinja
  • Thrax said:

Noooo! I was certain my autograph would make it immortal.

It may be, I should probably actually try a cheapo backup mouse before assuming it is the problem. Will do that and then investigate the Naga and Rat7.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited February 2014
    Yeah, there's 2 Naga options now: the "2012" Naga and the current model. The 2012 is what I believe most ICers have, which has that handy switch on the bottom.

Looks like certain retailers still carry it, and it's pretty easy to catch the differences between models (recessed 12 key pad vs. new clickier fisherprice looking 12 key pad.) This link to Newegg's Molten option gives you an idea of what the older variant looked like, complete with picture of the bottom of the mouse with that switch.

New:

Old: