Completely lost choosing a video card and need help

BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseurThere's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
First off I want something that will last me a while. I'm on the fence between the GTX 780 Ti and the R9 290X but if the non Ti or a 280/280X is suitable enough please let me know. I've googled benchmarks but haven't found anything conclusive (to me). I also don't mine so that has no bearing on the decision.

Here are the points that I'm stuck on:

R9 290X
+Mantle
+4GB of ram (not sure of how much importance this really is)
-Reference cards are loud, hot and sometimes unstable
-Price and availability due to currency mining

GTX 780 Ti
+Seems to bench better
+Shadow play
+Reference cards run cooler
+Lower power usage
-3GB of ram (see above)

Current card I'm thinking about is the Gigabyte GV-N78TOC-3GD GeForce GTX 780 Ti which Newegg has for $679.

Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    All I'm hearing about the ATI stuff, at the moment, is the price gounging piggybacking on all the goofy cryptocurrency stuff. There's no value there, anymore, from what it sounds like - you may get more for your money going green, for once.

Doesn't really answer the core of your question, but worth pointing out all the same.
    BlackHawk
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    What monitor and resolution?
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    shwaip said:

What monitor and resolution?

Dell UltraSharp U2412M (1920x1200)
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    GTX 770 is all you'll need at that resolution

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=-1&IsNodeId=1&Description=GTX 770&bop=And&Order=RATING&PageSize=20

pick the 2GB or 4GB, whichever you want and EVGA is awesomesauce
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    I know the resolution I currently play at is not that high but I'm also looking for longevity and maybe the possibility of having more/bigger monitors later on.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    BlackHawk said:

I know the resolution I currently play at is not that high but I'm also looking for longevity and maybe the possibility of having more/bigger monitors later on.

you can never buy now computer hardware for the future.

if you're serious about spending the $ for more monitors then a 780Ti or 290x will last a long time

• georgehgeorgeh Canton, MI Icrontian
    I've been leaning towards Nvidia because AMD prices seem to be driven up from cryptocurrency mining. Nvidia cards aren't as good at mining so there's less of a premium. I <3 my 770.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    georgeh said:

I've been leaning towards Nvidia because AMD prices seem to be driven up from cryptocurrency mining. Nvidia cards aren't as good at mining so there's less of a premium. I <3 my 770.</p>

What he said.

• ins4n17yins4n17y Cabanatuan City, Philippines Icrontian
    edited March 2014

more memory helps, for sure, if you can get the most memory as future games will surely have more textures. if the prices of amd chips wern't absurdly expensive, i'd be getting a 280x, my card of choice. if you're going green, more memory the better still.