The smell of Ozone in the morning

edited July 2003 in Hardware
Last night, I was having problems getting my parent's computer to post.

Somehow in the process of taking the heatsink (an SLK-700) off (or possibly putting it back on) The clamp that holds it to the socket got bent (unbeknownst to me.) So I plug it all back in, flip the switch and it starts making its usual computer start up noises when I hear a pop and smell something burning. I'm thinking "Oh Sh, there new Enermax power supply is bad." No, the processor was the source of the burning plastic smell.

The Chip (an XP 1800, no major loss) was hosued on a GA7VRXP. The board has a thermal diode in the socket that was of course, burned out. So now, even with a good processor, the board won't POST.

So, now I need reccomendations for what to put in my parents computer. I'm salvaging everything but the MoBo, Proc, HSF. The memory is a 256 stick of Crucial 2100 DDR.

I'm thinking of giving them my A7N8X-D (rev 1.04) and then getting myself a rev 2. I was thinking a 2100+ (TBred) ought to work fine with the RAM they already have.

The only component that I'm undecided on is the HSF. The main concern is that the system be quiet!

Thoughts?

PS: Will their brand new Enermax Whisper 300 watt be enough to power their rebuilt system (2100+, 40GB, Seldom used optical drives, original TNT Video, Audigy Platinum)?

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    No OC? If not, get them a Barton 2500+ for almost as cheap. And use the stock HSF (Newegg has 2500+ Retail for $90 right now).

Or you could use a Thermalright AX-7 with a standard case fan.

How stable is the power supply? If it's stable, it ought to be enough to power this bad boy.
  • edited July 2003
    My only thoughts on the Barton were the fact that it wouldn't run syncronous with the PC2100 (I'd have to get them better RAM.)

I thought the stock Retail HSF's were loud and not so effective.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited July 2003
    Retail hsf's are not too loud, according to what your hearing is like I guess. I would go with giving them the A7N8X and getting a new 2.0.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2003
    AX7s are not made anymore. Get an SK7 from SVC.com
  • edited July 2003
    Alright, side note:

is there anyway to repair, RMA, or otherwise make usable my SLK-700? The TMD fan on it was nice.?

Anybody have experience with Newegg's refurbs. I noticed that I can save nearly 30 by gettinga refurb mobo (guaranteed rev2.)
    edited July 2003
    SVC still carries the AX-7, AFAIK. It can cool more efficiently at low CFM (and low noise) than the SK-7, while the SK-7 cools more efficiently at higher CFMs.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    why ozone?
    edited July 2003
    Because when electrical components fry, they split the oxygen molecules in the atmosphere, which recombine to form ozone. Hence the ozone smell when stuff burns electrically.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    oOOOooOooOoO
    i did not know that.... so why do we have a problem with the ozone layer...we should just send moxon up there with sum of his boxen and well be all good
    jk
  • edited July 2003
    Chuckle, Chuckle, Nyuck, Nyuck.

Back to reality.

Does anyone know a way to get my SLK-700 fixed or replaced. The surface is a bit worse for wear, but the main problem is that the clip isn't tight enough. I've dispatched Emails to both Hardcorecooling and Thermalright. I'm hoping that one of them will take pity on me and replace the HS.
  • edited July 2003
    could you post a pic of the damaged clamp part