Computer Running slow, Using alot of physical Memory, Programs not responding

joanmtjoanmt Dallas, TX New

Hi,

My computer has been acting up for about a month now.

It will do not responding on Outlook, Word, Excel, Publisher as well as Firefox.

The physical memory usage is running around 75%, it runs at 40% with no programs open.

I am lost, I have done everything I know how. Please look at my Hijack this log file and see if there is anything else I can or need to do.

I have done:
Ckdsk-everything is okay
mdsched (memory check)-everything is okay
Full Superantispyware-cookies only
Full Malwarebyes-Cookies only
Full MSE-Nothing
Auslogics Defrag
CC Cleaner-regular basis (registry and cleaner)
Unintalled and re-installed Office Enterprise 2007

Computer is Dell N5110N
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1
i5-2410M @2.30 GHz Processor
4 GB Ram
64-Bit Operating System

I have attached my hijackthis log.

Thank you,
Joan

Signal

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited March 2014
  • joanmtjoanmt Dallas, TX New

Ok will do. Do you need something back such as a log?

No, if it finds nothing I think you do not have malware active. Malware caught a while ago could have damaged programs beyond recovery, but I think that that would other than leave starting programs with programs not responding in Win 7. We do not have a security area anymmore, but I can tell you that I run McAfee Internet Security and run Sophos monthly (free virus removal tool) and let the Microsoft safety scanner update itself then run. One trick I will pass on is always to get updatess from microsft and your security software vendors before scanning stuff.

I am figuring you have modern office on Win 7 and modern updated Firefox also (Firefox is at version 28), as real old of any of those will not run on Win 7. Hardware problems with memory can be intermittent also, so sometimes running and sometimes not running programs can be tricky to troubleshoot. Let us know if either of these last two apply to you, ok?

Signal

Thank you for your suggestion. I just finished running a full Microsoft Safety Scanner. It found nothing. We keep all of our programs updated. So that is not an issue. We use Microsoft Security Essentials for protection.

Have you looked at the Hijack this log? Is there anything out of the ordinary there?

I am going to sleep now, will check on any further advice in the morning.

edited March 2014

I think I would stress-test RAM next. Overnight scan, full patttern testing.

The Microsoft Safety Scanner replaces Microsoft Security Essentials soon, that is why I suggested that. Per Microsoft sources I have.

Registry entries with missing files can be deleted.

• The truth is it could be so many issues that you are better off just having someone look at it and paying them to do so. The downtime from waiting for a forum full of tech people getting the energy together to diagnose such a broad problem is not worth the opportunity cost of lost work.

Hi Guys, Thanks for your time, I appreciate it very much. He has many things open on his computer at one time doing work. I think we are going to up the memory from 4 GB to 8 GB and see if it will help. Again thanks so much, I appreciate you guys so much. You have been helpful to me over the 8 years that I have been a member. :-)

Signal
    edited March 2014

Well, one thing to check-- Find out if your Windows 7 Home Premium is a 32 bit or 64 bit subversion, ok? If it is 32 bit it will only use 4 GB RAM, the Windows itself and all the programs running will only have 4 GB to play with. I echo Pirate Ninja and say get it looked at, please.

Signal
  • PinkPink Colour Sweden Icrontian

I'd probably just take a backup of my files and then reinstall the whole thing, nothing beats that fresh install feeling <3

Signal
  • SignalSignal Icrontian

I agree with Pink. It might be time for a fresh install. Download Belarc Advisor to take an inventory of your PC. This gives you a list of all installed software with versions, and keys the software is using. Backup your data (be sure to get everything, My Documents, save files for games, anything buried in program directories) wipe the drive, and reinstall everything. This could be less time than troubleshooting over the internet as PirateNinja pointed out.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html