Looking for a cave spider grinder design

Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian ScoundrelIndianapolis, IN Icrontian
edited April 2014 in Minecraft

Recently secured some cave spider spawnners, two of them within close enough proximity that I can stand between them and activate both. would like to make a grinder from them but have no idea how given the properties of spiders (the fact that these things clog like nobody's buisness) so I need some advice. the spawnners are offset from each other by a function of 4 on the x and 14 on the z. I need to find a way to funnel them to a central collection point where they can be killed for XP without backing up and with an idiot safe level of redstone. Any ideas?

Comments

• d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    edited April 2014

Do not attempt to make grinders out of cave spiders (spiders in general). Most well made non-redstone grinders involve some kind of pitfall aspect so you can just punch things 1-2 times to kill it so you don't have to waste a sword. Typically I do this with a lava trap and some falling, so the fall and burn take them to about 1 heart of health. Since spiders are oddly shaped getting the trap set up is a pain, not to mention they can climb walls so it is rare you can get the falling aspect done. Not to mention you have no way to contain cave spiders since they are 1x1x1 you are just setting yourself up for a pain and probably a few deaths.

Keep looking around for skeleton and zombie spawners.

P.S. Cave Spider Spawners are the only spawners I will actively destroy.

Sonorous
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

What about a series of pistons and pressure plates to force them down, sort of a funnel with multi levels to prevent upward movement? Could a slab which is 1x1x.5 be used to contain them somewhat?

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

I had a similar setup on the previous server. Worked well in my mine as the spiders could build up as I worked then I would go over and kill them every once in a while. Mine was too low to do effective drop damage so I used swords. I'll post some more info tonight when I get on my PC.

-Digi

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

Because of their 1x1x1 size I don't think a crushing type of grinder would work well either. Is there any block a spider can;t climb on? Then you could do a fall and they cant get back out.

I disagree with d3k0y's post up there. Using just water you are able to push the spiders into either a 2x2 opening in the middle or 1x1x.5 hole over a 3x3 shaft for dropping/collecting.

My grinder on the old server would spawn the spiders and then push them down a 2x2 hole into a 4x4 area so they could not climb back up. My spawners were too close to the ground to take enough damage off of them to use the punch method but your mileage may vary. I don't remember the distance off hand to get them to that point.

Your best bet would probably be to search Youtube for Cave Spider XP Farm 1.7.4 to get an idea of how to handle them, the rest will be determined on how you want to kill them.

Personally I will be searching for a similar setup near my mountain base to play with (Minecraft Science!). I would be happy to join you and take a look at your options if you wish. Just hit me up.

-Digi

ErrorNullTurnip
  • ErrorNullTurnipErrorNullTurnip Illinois Icrontian

I guess I'd try a crushing grinder, but Sonorous might be right that their small size could cause problems. You could always pull up creative mode and try out a couple designs "for free".

I think this guy uses a crusher. Funnel through a gate, close gate, crush, punch.

-Digi

• Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian Scoundrel Indianapolis, IN Icrontian

Thanks for the advice, but I have found a far more fun solution, cave spider dainger room. I am installing overhead lighting and covering the spawnners in obsidian, so basiclly a room to lock my self in with cave spiders spawnning and trying to kill me. Also a pretty decent X Men tribute even if I do say so myself

BobbyDigi
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian

Nice

• BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian

Man, cave spiders are the WORST. The friggin poison. Ugh.

Having said that, I have devised a rather successful cave spider grinder in another server I play on. Took a damn long time to get it to work right, but I'm very satisfied that I got it to work.

It would be difficult to explain but the basics are I have 2 spawners near each other, I funnel them together with water, and I use a crusher to get them down to one punch's worth of damage. Loot drops down to a collection bin. If I find another 2 (or more!) cave spider spawners near each other, I'll make make it again for our server.

• Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian Scoundrel Indianapolis, IN Icrontian

The room functionality is done, will post screenshots once it's prettyfied. One hell of a workout too, those things are fast

• PinkPink Colour Sweden Icrontian

When I mad grinders I userd flowing water to make them travel down a "pipe", then at the end I put lava at a higher level together with a ladder so that the lava kinda floats mid air. When the enemies hit the lava they die, but the items fall down into the stream of water and keep flowing forward to the end of the pipe thing... I guess that was a pretty horrible explanation, wasn't it...?
    Look, it's been a while since I did stuff like this but if I remember it correctly I built it kinda like this:

I did not you already found a fun solution for it, but I had already drawn this damn thing so...

Creeperbane2ErrorNullTurnip