Smartphone Help

IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy CanadianToronto, Ontario Icrontian

So for the past year or so I've had a dinky little N860 WARP Smartphone with my Public Mobile plan, while I enjoyed the unlimited data for awhile PM eventually sold to Telus Mobility who have since decided to drop all support for PM's older phone models and is forcing consumers to upgrade to a 4G network meaning new phones and plans for all.

That said I'm now required to get a new phone and while I don't want to break the bank on the latest Samsung I do want to get something that won't freeze up and require a reboot everytime I try to run PowerAmp and Mozilla at the same time.

Public Mobile is offering two phones for the new plan/network.

Samsung GalaxyAce II X and Moto G

I have no idea what specs these phones have or what it even means but the Moto G looks like it's a better phone.

The other option is to go to Wind Mobile which offers a similar plan to what Public Mobile used to offer but with a better phone selection.

https://www.windmobile.ca/plans-and-devices/mobile-devices

I've been looking at either the Galaxy S3 or S4 (S5 is right out, pretty damned pricey)

As I'd never get anywhere on my own as it stands I'd like to ask Icrontic's tech and smartphone peeps on what would be the best bang for my buck, I am of course planning to test out a variety of phones before choosing but I'd like to know spec comparisons first.

Thanks in advance,

Ilriyas

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian

I have the S4 and both it and the S3 would do things about 100 times better/faster than your N860.

Ilriyas
  • trooster89trooster89 Are you from London? Icrontian

I have an S3 and love it.

IlriyasSignal
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

S4 is a good price/performance option.

IlriyasSignal
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian

My father is also curious about the Google Nexus 5.

I personally am seriously looking into the S4 right now

• PinkPink Colour Sweden Icrontian

I got my phone stolen about two weeks ago and have been going through the list of smartphones in look for one that fits, and according to my research I narrowed it down to two phones (atleast imo) that give the most bang for the buck.

Those are the oneplus one (oneplus.net/) and the Google Nexus 5 (google.se/nexus/).

Personally I'm buying my nexus 5 today, but that's only because I don't want to wait for the oneplus to come out (Being without any phone at all is a real pain in the bum). In the end though I suppose it comes down to personal preference and what you really need your phone to be able to do.

Update, commenting from my nexus now. I can recommed this phone.

• RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2014

@Ilriyas said:
    My father is also curious about the Google Nexus 5.

I personally am seriously looking into the S4 right now

I have the nexus 5, and I love it. Its not horribly expensive (compared to other options) and it does everything I want. The camera is awesome.

Edit: I also had the S4 - very good phone as well. Not quite as fast as the nexus, but unless you're playing high end games, you won't notice the difference. I made good use of the camera, but it isn't as good as the nexus either.

• RequitRequit That one guy Somewhere over there, I don't know Icrontian
    edited May 2014

Another vote for the Nexus 5. Bought it a month ago and apart from small design issues (no sd slot, can't remove the battery) I really enjoy it. Of all the smartphones I've owned, it's my favorite.

How big is the capacity? The lack of an sd slot is problematic if the internal isn't large enough for all my music

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

Why do you need a week of music on your phone?

Variety, I don't switch it out all that often and I enjoy keeping entire discography's on my phone (Right now two contenders are Jethro Tull and Cage the Elephant)

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

gMusic and Pandora?

• RequitRequit That one guy Somewhere over there, I don't know Icrontian
    edited May 2014

@Ilriyas said:
    How big is the capacity? The lack of an sd slot is problematic if the internal isn't large enough for all my music

I got the 16GB version, but they have a 32GB version available.

@Ilriyas said:
    Variety, I don't switch it out all that often and I enjoy keeping entire discography's on my phone

I do the same thing. If I had known when I bought the phone they had a larger size, I would have gotten it. If it helps, I think the phone supports USB OTG.

• MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian

@Ilriyas said:
    Variety, I don't switch it out all that often and I enjoy keeping entire discography's on my phone (Right now two contenders are Jethro Tull and Cage the Elephant)

I can help ya set up a home server instead, if you want, then stream your music from your home to your phone. Virtualize and run sockso! It's stupidly easy. Just, y'know... bandwidth. :P

Ilriyas

Wind offers unlimited Bandwidth but they'll throttle it after 30GB. I'd really appreciate the help Dan!

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

Google Play Music is available in Canada as well now, which I believe only has a song number limit.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

@Tushon said:
    Google Play Music is available in Canada as well now, which I believe only has Rush and Barenaked Ladies in their catalog.

Better than nothing, I suppose.

Tushon

Talking about Rush like they aren't the greatest band in existence.

@AlexDeGruven said:
    Better than nothing, I suppose.

lol, I was referring to uploading your own music collection, but your response was lulz inducing.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

@Tushon said:
    lol, I was referring to uploading your own music collection, but your response was lulz inducing.

Sometimes I have good ones.

The nexus 5 is not waterproof, my toilet taught me that the hard way yesterday XD

Rule of the internet #67: When interneting on your phone while on the throne, keep away from the deep, dark hole.

midga
  • MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian

@Ilriyas said:
    Wind offers unlimited Bandwidth but they'll throttle it after 30GB. I'd really appreciate the help Dan!

I'm sorry, I completely forgot all about this thread and stopped checking it, because I am straight asshole!

We can set up a time to chat, if you like. You just let me know when. Do you have a spare computer, or are you planning to virtualize?