Stepping codes for unlocked Barton 2500's?

TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
edited September 2006 in Hardware
From what I've read here, it seems that all the Barton chips after week 39 of 2003 (0339 date code on chip) are locked.

I was looking at Barton 2500's on eBay to find an unlocked one. I noticed that some people advertise the stepping codes and use that to prove they are unlocked. Is that accurate?

Some of the codes that I saw that claimed to be unlocked are:

AQXEA
AQUCA

Are there others? Or can I just find a Barton 2500 with a date code previous to 0339 (0338, 0337, etc) and know that it's unlocked? Visual ID on the chip? Bridges and such?

Comments

• edited September 2006
    How did it go with your search?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    gamingcs wrote:
    How did it go with your search?

This thread was made 2.5 years ago...
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    I found an unlocked Barton 2500+ on eBay and it cost me $130 with shipping. I put it in an Abit NF-7 motherboard in my main system, and within a few weeks I had it overclocked to 2.2 Ghz (11 X 200), and it's been there ever since (2.5 years now).:thumbsup:

I had pushed it up to 2.3 Ghz on stock voltages, but the temperatures were starting to get too high. I keep it around 50 C, and in the summer time it gets up to about 54 C at the most. Maybe with a better heat sink it could go a bit faster.

It folds at 100%, but in the summer heat I back it down to 50%, which takes 4-5 degrees off the temperature.
  • edited September 2006
    Sounds cool, what is the stepping code of that XP ? Somebody is offering me an XP 2500+ AQUCA dated 0306, wanted to kmow if Im on the right path for o/c. Mb is an Asus A7N8X Deluxe. Thanks
  • edited September 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    This thread was made 2.5 years ago...

...I know it is old...and I hope the original writers are still active. Old chickens provide the best soup.
  • edited September 2006
    gamingcs wrote:
    Sounds cool, what is the stepping code of that XP ? Somebody is offering me an XP 2500+ AQUCA dated 0306, wanted to kmow if Im on the right path for o/c. Mb is an Asus A7N8X Deluxe. Thanks

AFAIK, any AXP proc made before week 39 of 03 is multi unlocked. But your A7N8X Dlx can only set a max of a 12.5 multi without modding the multi on the processor.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    I don't remember the stepping code, and I'm too lazy to take apart the computer to see.

Search my old posts from the couple months after this post was originally made, I'm sure I wrote it in there somewhere.

I think it has an A in it, if that helps any.:leet:

With the exception of the first 10 or so episodes, this Barton 2500 has edited the digital video of all the episodes of my webshow, "Online Video" at www.loudmouthtim.com .

I wonder if I can get extra cash for that someday on eBay? Probably not.:vimp:
  • vaiovaio England
    edited September 2006
    Old thread but may as well add:

AQYHA......2.5GHZ/1.85v