GPU-accelerated streaming with OBS + Radeon

Comments

• RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian

Can you do an ELI5 version of that?

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian

awesome - i was wondering when someone would get gpu processing into streaming/encoding

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2014

I don't do or care about game streaming, so I'm unable to provide an eli5 for that thread. Not familiar with the particulars of the app or setup process.

However: AMD VCE is a real-time h.264 encoder on all modern Radeon cards. It can compress 1080p at 60 FPS in real time, and feed that to a piece of software for streaming. No CPU utilization. No hard drive utilization. Live frame capture -> encoding -> broadcast all on the GPU. VCE can also be used to capture live gameplay to disk if your drive is good and you have a supporting application.

The above fork of the OBS project utilizes the AMD Media SDK to enable use of AMD VCE inside OBS. You can stream to Twitch with no performance penalty, even at 1080p60.

If you don't want to use OBS, this functionality is also built directly into the AMD fork of the Raptr application. You can capture the last 20 minutes to disk, or broadcast to your twitch channel using the hardware encoding.

• NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian

ELI5: sounds like you don't need an i5+ to get great quality streaming

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

You'll have to pardon my ignorance as far as game streaming goes, but what does this do for audio? Will the GPU compress PCM sound down to something more manageable like AAC, or is this purely for video? I'm not sure what games would even use uncompressed other than Titanfall, but it crossed my mind along the read.

The AMD VCE block supports realtime encoding to AAC, but I don't know if OBS supports it.

Sonorous

Such acronyms.

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

@CannonFodder said:
    Such acronyms.

Many letter. Little understand.

edited June 2014

Ok, since I have a 7850, I should in theory be able to do this.

I downloaded the experimental candidate for this, and found a new menu:

Unfortunately, I know very little about what any of this is.

• Put numbers in boxes and see what happens.

Snarkasm
  • primesuspect

All of those settings are hardcore video encoder options, which are usually hidden from the user. I have experience with some of them from my days of encoding Xvid. At a glance the defaults look okay. The only thing a user might want to dink with is the Quality vs. Speed dropdown.

edited June 2014

I did it. Works pretty smooth.

Edit: was able to stream 1080p Titanfall, at which point I maxed out the upload speed of the internet. NO in game lag.

It was fantastic.

Edit 2: Looks pretty good:
    http://www.twitch.tv/ryanfodder/c/4551448