The Repetitive Stress Injury was worth it (classic gaming glory thread)

Remember a time when you obsessed over a game repeating the same pattern over and over again in the pursuit of a high score?

I have rediscovered Pac Man Championship Edition DX and I have the Pac Man fever bad. I am currently well inside of the top 1% of players in the world and I sincerely think I can be #1. I'm that damn good and getting better every day. Thing is the more I play the more my hands and wrists ache. I'm pretty certain I'm headed towards carpal tunnel syndrome, and you know what? Totally worth it!

Share your tales of classic gaming glory here.

LincmidgaBasilMrTRiot

Comments

• Yes, this was hard. Classic gaming gauntlet thrown. Come on Icrontic. Someone has to have game around here!

midgaCantiBobbyDigiBasil
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    edited September 2014

What sort of controller do you play with?

-edit-

Also, shitfuck that was a hot run. You have some slick moves man.

Cliff_Forster
  • When I play at the PC I just plug in a standard 360 controller and use the thumb stick. I just got a Logitech F710 wireless but I am still feeling that out, but I like that too. I have an arcade stick with an adapter for the PC but I don't find myself fishing that out of the box. I might now that I'm thinking about it though.

Something about a classic game that gets me centered. I'm a very serious Galaga player too. Typically if I see an old Galaga machine in an arcade I can put a couple million on it before walking away. Of course recording that would be more of a trick. Actually I'm not nearly as good at Galaga at home, I mean I'm pretty good, but having a proper two way stick with a button I can pound is just a better way to play. Standing up too. When I get back to work I'm definitely considering picking up a classic machine with one of those 60 game boards.

midga
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian

I'm definitely considering picking up a classic machine with one of those 60 game boards.

I'm currently in the works of this now with a Virtua Fighter original and/or the original 6 person Xmen game. Craigslist is great for finding these. Yeah, it'd be nice to build one and such with a board and drive with all games, etc...but fuck that, I'm lazy and own it :)

Cliff_Forster
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian

There was a little Pac Man table at a hangout I frequented with friends the one year it was open. Plopped tons of quarters into it, though I've never been good. I fell in love with Pac Man CE when I discovered it on the XBAWKS. I've got CE DX+ on PC but I don't play it nearly as much. Two-stick shooters (and by extension Pac Man which I consider to be the logical precursor to them) are one of my faves, but they can rarely hold my attention for more than 10-20 minutes at a time.

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

PAC-MAN™ Championship Edition DX+ and all the DLC is $3.74 for the next 35 hours.

I just picked it up and put in 25 minutes in a blink. This is crazy fun.

-Digi

oni_delsCliff_Forster
  • The more I game the more I find I'm actually more into kinda old school arcade stuff. I just started playing Geometry Wars again, and I have been on the Pinball Arcade on my tablet for months. The Pac Man Championship Edition DX+ is incredible. Take that old goodness and freshen it up for a new audience, it will be the best $3.74 you ever spent.

LincBobbyDigi
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

I got a million... only to see @Cliff_Forster has 2. At least he was friendly enough to share his secrets, muahahaha...ha I'm never going to get a score that high.

What's your best Ghost combo Cliff?

-Digi