is there any Guide to a N00b Lvl 90

GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 LifeAkron, PA Icrontian

I just got a lvl 90 Monk / Windwalker From Buying Warlords. I am not jumping in Until I have some reading on exactly what I am to do Without making everyone around me Go " Omg Someone just kick him off a cliff "

Any Tips or Guides you guys know of will be greatly appriciated

Comments

• GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian

Wow this made ALOT more sense than any other sites Ive read, You should publish some of your Knowledge for IC. Good news is My video card is due in today, So tonight Ill hop on and get stuff set up and start heading over the Mountains to start my questing.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Great stuff, Rah! Mind if I re-format this and publish it?

GW, one thing I can recommend is doing some of the regular Pandaria quests. You'll need to do a few to unlock certain areas that you'll be doing for your cloak quest anyway, and the quests are solo so there's no pressure from other players to perform. It will help you learn your class.

At the bare minimum, definitely do Meet The Scout. You're going to have to anyway for the legendary cloak questline.

edited August 2014

Yea I plan on questing for a week or so before I hop on a raid. WoW is sooooo much more in depth then when I last played years ago. My head is spinning But I am starting to grasp some of it now. I know I can only learn so much from reading and I gotta hop on when I get the new Video card today. Also Who Do i get an Invite to the Guild from?

When you're online one of the officers will send you an invite. Probably me.

• MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian
    edited August 2014

I would like to note the time sensitivity of this information. Rah has brilliant info there, but a lot of it may not be very pertinent to your situation.

1. You have 11 weeks before that legendary cloak becomes obsolete (next expansion is dropping soon). With a damn-near 100% perfect drop rate and enough diligence to run every raid every week, it takes 6 weeks to get... and lockout inefficiencies (like getting only 40 valor toward your cap one week and finding out that puts you 40 valor off schedule for the 3000 valor quest) will only increase that number. Besides, nobody has ever had a 100% perfect drop rate. I would estimate by the time you get the cloak, WoD will drop. Thus... only work on the cloak if you want it for posterity, at this point. It IS pretty cool!

2. For that matter, in 11 weeks, ALL gear will be obsolete. Don't push yourself super hard on the gear thing, or you'll really burn yourself out for little gain. Focus on enjoying Pandaria before it becomes a ghostland, lost to the annals of WoW history, a desolate wasteland experienced minimally and only by those grinding out five levels in a coffee-induced stupor in the dead of night.

Of (and in addition to) what Rah suggested, I would:

1. Get in mumble and hang out. Can't stress it enough. WoW is really just an excuse for us all to fuck around and hang out. If you're there with people and say 'hey, you guys wanna do this thing?' somebody will come play.
    2. Learn your class. I still get that primal gaming joy from learning a new class. Just for fun, try out the off specs - healing, tanking, whatever.
    3. Explore the world. The Timeless isle is current content, and when it's not current content, it will become as much a wasteland as Tol Barad, the Isle of Thunder, or Hellfire Peninsula. Get in on that, see it with the current crush of people, and enjoy the dynamic before it's gone forever.
    4. Speaking of exploring the world, do some leisurely raiding in LFR, as Rah suggested. See what these raids are like while they are difficult before they too are gone forever. There are some cool fights in ToT in particular.
    5. Should your gear get that high (I wouldn't prioritize it), try out a flex raid. IC has a bunch of alts who I'm sure would love to come flex raidin' with you. Flex gives you a taste of the teamwork of a raid that LFR doesn't - that teamwork feel is the reason we all still raid. It feels reeeeeeeal good to knock a boss down with all your buddies when there's a damn good chance of failing.
    6. Go try out PvP! This is still an uncharted area in IC WoW, and if you can get people interested, there is some pretty silly fun to be had. It'll also teach you a lot about other classes.
    7. Do some old raids. @MikQuattro‌ and @primesuspect‌ love old raids, and I can sometimes be grabbed for them too. You don't need a full group, and it's a really relaxed thing to do - it's hard to fail on an old raid, since you're so overleveled. It's also interesting to see the content and imagine how hard it was.
    8. Challenge modes! These are dungeons that have their difficulty tuned to an insane degree, but that grant VERY prestigious rewards. Also, the rewards will be discontinued when patch 6.0 drops... which may be next week, or may be a few weeks from now. @MikQuattro‌ desperately wants to get CMs done. I'd be interested, but it's not a huge priority for me. The great thing about CMs is all gear higher than 476 gets leveled DOWN to 476... meaning the barrier to entry is very low (you may already over-qualify for it, if not, all you have to do is run around on timeless isle for an hour). It's skill-based stuff, not gear-based stuff (having said that, good trinkets and gear with gems help a lot). There are a million guides out there for how to do challenge modes, too, so there's a lot of research to be done. This is one of the best ways to practice your class and spec!

When WoD drops, you'll be exploring an entire new set of content with the rest of us. THAT will be very exciting! Only 11 more weeks!

CelshTushonRyanFodder
  • CelshCelsh Member
    edited August 2014
    1. Try the other aspects of the game. Achievement hunting, mount hunting, Title getting and pet battling.

2. Level an alt really see the old content there is stuff out there that is freaking amazing. Tons of lore too.

(even though I made them #9 and #10 to add to @Myrmidon's it keeps changing them back to 1&2)

Oh god how did I miss leveling an alt

DO THIS. The shit they did to make levels 1-60 interesting is preeeeeeetty neat if you like the lore.

• ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2014

If you haven't yet and want to understand what happened between Siege of Orgrimmar and Warlords of Draenor and don't feel like reading a book. I suggest this video for lore.

Also I have this weekend off, if you need a hunter to help ya I will be around.

JBoogaloo

Great suggestions! I think I'll wrap all this up into an article if you guys don't mind

edited August 2014

I'll wrap you up into an article.

EDIT: Put that in the article.

• RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian

@primesuspect said:
    Great stuff, Rah! Mind if I re-format this and publish it?

Do eet!

• RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian

Like I said at the end of mine little blurb, that was just straight for gearing for raiding. I did not touch on the PvP, mount/battlepet collecting, transmog collecting, Old raid content, the stories, challenge modes, etc. Ironic cause I much prefer all those activities over raiding. Find whatever strikes your fancy and do eet! Other then the challenge mode rewards and some SoO rewards, everything else will still be here when WoD hits.

I put some emphasis on the Legendary Cloak questline because you still have plenty of time to do it, and after WoD hits it may become pretty hard or just even more of a grind. It's a substantial reward given at the end of a large trek and there is more to it then just the "gear." Doing this questline is pretty much a concise summary of the entire Mists of Pandaria expansion. It has you go into every raid content, and LFR counts for it. It explains a lot about the Mogu and does some exploring on the Isle of Thunder. Same for the Timeless Isle. It makes you experience 2 of the 3 new PvP battlegrounds, and makes you do some interesting stuff regarding your faction's full arrival on Pandaria (The "Meet the Scout" quest Prime mentioned.)
    Say you started it this weekend and regularly did all you could for it every week till you got it. I would bet money you would have it done by early or mid October, or at the latest right when WoD comes out, and you probably wouldn't feel burnt out from it since it limits how much you can do at once using the raid and valor lockouts.

But again, do whatever strikes your fancy, I have no idea what you're interested in doing so I threw out the general way to get started from a Boosted 90s standpoint. Feel free to hit me up if you have any monk related questions.

I won't be doing any PvP all raiding with friends

• To confirm what @Myrmidon‌ said, I love running old content, primarily because I'm new to WoW and want to experience all the old stuff. And cause it's a lot of fun, Lich King content in particular is a blast and is stunningly designed. And I also love @Celsh‌ 's #1--achievement and mount hunting. I'm always up for working toward a mount...

edited August 2014

I'm probably going to run ulduar 25/10 again on Tuesday after I get home from work (and run Ordos twice, and Karazhan...). I promised a couple people the achieves from the first five of 25 man, and I need the legs off of 10m Hodir. Plus, a run at mimiron's head would be cool.

I won't spend too much downtime waiting for folks, though, because I already spend WAY too much time fucking around with transmog old-raids on tuesdays as it is. I plan to try and post the time when I'll begin as soon as I know when I'll be home Tuesday.

EDIT: reread the post, and it seems to be unclear that I'm inviting you guys to this. Just to be clear, I'm inviting yo uguys to this. :P