APU vs CPU vs GPU for HTPC, gaming and folding.

SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
edited September 2014 in Hardware

I'm taking the plunge back into the realm of AMD to upgrade my aging Q6600 in my HTPC. I would like to get something that is at least a quad core and pair it with a Gtx 660ti from my main rig. The 660 will be replaced with a 290x for my main. Recently I had read that pairing a certain AMD graphics cards with an APU will give you a bit of a performance increase. I cannot for the life of me recall exactly what that is. So the question is, what will be the best option? Will the 660ti be faster than what the kaveri APU and compatible AMD GPU will be? Or will it all depend on how much money I sink into the GPU for the HTPC? Or should I avoid the AMD APU and get an AMD CPU? Halp.

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited September 2014

Given the 660Ti into the HTPC, I would go with a AMD CPU, but what do I know, my knowledge of this is limited. The main rig is for gaming also, right?

Sonorous
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

AMD A10 APUs can be paired with the R7 240 and R7 250 GPUs. Pairing with more powerful GPUs gives insignificant benefit, so we don't enable it.

If you're building an HTPC, though, you don't need anything but the APU. Not sure why you'd stick a 150W GPU into that.

Sonorous
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

Well I would like to use it for folding and a steam box @Thrax. HTPC is just one of the duties it will be doing. I guess I have my answer though. CPU plus the 660ti. Thanks for the clarification on what gpus works with the A10 stuff.

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian

Um, Folding? CPU is needed, APU-tuned folding clients are limited or non-existent.

Sonorous

@Straight_Man said:
    Um, Folding? CPU is needed, APU-tuned folding clients are limited or non-existent.

I had no idea. So that had sealed the deal then.

• If you are building micro or mini for the HTPC on an AMD platform the only decent motherboards are on the FM2+ range. AM3+ is fine if you want to build a full ATX main rig but there isn't a decent small motherboard to choose from.

You could consider the Athlon X4 860K quad on the cheap if you are going to pair it with the graphics card. That chip disables the graphics cores on the APU and discounts the chip a bit. For around $90 it's a decent performer and it will get you on the most recent AMD platform in case an APU looks appealing to you later on. You can go all the way down to mini ITX on the latest Bolton D4 chipset if you are trying to squeeze it on a home theater shelf.

edited September 2014

It's going in a fractal define mini that I won at Expo in 2013, so I am limited to micro atx.

midga
  • The Fractal Define mini is an excellent case. I have built in one. Great sound dampening and I'm pretty sure the fans they include are as quiet as they come. If you have the space for a tower it's a great choice for an HTPC.

Sonorous