Don't Starve Together

BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats !TX Icrontian
edited February 2015 in Gaming

Anyone got the Early Access? If you have Don't Starve, you will get Don't Starve Together on release and get pretty awesome discounts on Early Access if you want in.

Basically expanded Don't Starve with two players.

Thank you to the amazing @eriktheviking for gifted me a copy. I will be giving it a shot pretty soon here. DigiKid also has Early Access so she's in for giving it a go also. If anyone else has it and wants to give it a shot, let's not starve together!

-Digi

IlriyasLinc

Comments

• IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian

I have it, been looking for people to play with.

Just give me a time Digi!

• midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian

I've it as well.

• CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian

In!!

• RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian

@Tiberiuslazarus and I tried this, its EVEN HARDER than single player. The food situation is ... difficult.

Devote one person to acquiring various foodstuffs, manure, etc.

Make a number of farm plots, dig up berry bushes replant and fertilize.

Crockpots provide the greatest amount of gain for food input, one monster Lasagna can almost fill a hunger meter.

Should be fairly sustainable in practice.

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

Arwen and I have made it to day 23. Each game we learn a bit more. Our current run we are at about day 13, have some good farms going. We'll see how winter goes.

-Digi

primesuspect

I've played a bit with Zanthian, but have yet to make it to Winter.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2015

New badge for Don't Starve:

Request here!

RyanFodderBobbyDigiZanthian

Anyone want to play, shoot me a Steam Message.

@Ilriyas @midga and I tried it out. Day 10 we are all dead.

A valiant first try.

-Digi

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

I'm familiar with Don't Starve. How does death work in Together? Do dead folk just watch those still living to see how much longer they go? Does the game so something to specifically make interesting the experience of being already the one dead?

• JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian

I feel like I should be giving this a try...

@CB said:
    I'm familiar with Don't Starve. How does death work in Together? Do dead folk just watch those still living to see how much longer they go? Does the game so something to specifically make interesting the experience of being already the one dead?

When a player dies they turn into a "Spooky Ghost"...

[spoiler]...and there are multiple ways for them to come back to life. One is a Telltale Heart that is craftable. Another is a Touch Stone as you may be familiar with from the single player game though in Together you "haunt" the Touch Stone as a ghost to activate it instead of touching it before you die to respawn there. There are also some sort of craftable meat statues that you can resawn with.

As a Spooky Ghost you affect the other player's sanity negatively. As far as I can tell this effect is present no matter where the ghost is on the map. A ghost can haunt things simply by clicking on them. This causes different effects based on what they haunt.[/spoiler]

-Digi

That sounds like a neat mechanic.

I killed myself last night trying to craft a Telltale Heart to save Digi.

Had I been more patient we would've most likely lasted far longer. (Except for the fact that all our berry bushes got burnt down. I've now learned to space them out more)

And not set them on fire?

CBErrorNullTurnip

Blame ghosts

edited April 2015

Did a couple solo runs. I've learned a lot. Set out with the goal to get past winter (Day 36) and made it.

I had a pretty sweet setup

-Digi

primesuspectRahnalH102RyanFodder
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian

What killed you at that point?

The metal horse looking thing in the screenshot. It's called a Clockwork Knight. I hadn't realized how low my armor was and took a couple shots sans armor. Was dead before I realized what had happened.

I was trying to...

.. kill it to get Gears which are needed for Ice Boxes which slow food spoilage

In my current game I am on day 91...

.. and I've killed two of those bastards. I've just started my 3rd winter and have renewable and sustainable food sources. Not starving is not the issue at this point in the game. I am, progress wise, further than I have seen anyone else in the few lets plays that I have watched so to be honest I am low on goals right now. Survive winter 3 and then I plan to continue to explore the map and find more adventures.

-Digi

RyanFodderRahnalH102

... Day 123. Hounds showed up while I was unprepared. Got caught beween the Beefalo and the hounds. Fire Hound ended up finishing me off.

My Map. Base on the left. Tree farm and Bee Boxes (just built those) in the upper left. Pig Village in the middle with spider farm for easy spider farming. Rabbit and Beefalo fields to the right. You can see my backpack over there where I died.

Upper base. 23 Drying racks, 18 crock pots, Bird in a cage, science machines, tent, and storage (including 8 chests full of rabbits).

Lower base. 19 advanced farms including 5 dedicated renewable Dragon Fruit.

I wish I would have taken more screenshots while I was alive. Was a good run. Oddly enough I am not as upset as I was when I died on day 41. I think it is easier to accept that, this late in the game, as advanced as I was, the game was able to throw a curve ball at me and struck me out apposed to me dying to avoidable mobs.

-Digi

RyanFodder
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian

If you were playing with a friend, they could have revived you ;)

When do I get my free copy for being a Don't Starve owner?

@CB said:
    When do I get my free copy for being a Don't Starve owner?

On Release. Together is still in "Early Access".

@Zanthian said:
    If you were playing with a friend, they could have revived you ;)

I'm torn with this. If I had a friend on, it would have been another mouth to feed. In the early game that is an issue. I don't know of anyone willing to put the time in that I do along with knowing the mechanics well enough that I wouldn't have to carry them. That said, that will add further challenge to the game and I will probably play the next run with DigiKid.

I also want to look up in Together if a touch stone is activated during the reset countdown, if it will bring the server back to life. There is also a Life Giving Amulet that will resurrect a player who dies wearing it. Need to move into the magic age sooner. Those post 100 day hound packs are brutal.

On another note, I just read that Reign of Giants is coming to Together April 24th.

-Digi

• RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian

@BobbyDigi said:
    On another note, I just read that Reign of Giants is coming to Together April 24th.
    -Digi

That Twitch Mod mentioned in that blurb sounds crazy.

BobbyDigi

Sweet...

If a Ghost Player revives (via Touch Stone for example) before the countdown ends, the world will continue.

-Digi

Play Wilson, make all the meat effigies.

Live forever as a god amongst men beasts.

@Ilriyas said:
    Play Wilson, make all the meat effigies.

Live forever as a god amongst men beasts.

Nope, each time you place a meat effigy it lowers your total health by a percent (10%?) so there is a balance there to having multiple, or even just 1, meat effigy. On a side note, there are alternative ways to get beard hair so it is possible to create meat effigies as other characters without Wilson.

The balance to the touch stone is location and the balance to the Life Giving Amulet is durability (automatically converts hunger to health if health is below full and can only do that so many times before it breaks).

-Digi

So Digi, if you don't play Together with other people then why don't you just play the base game?

I would like to play with others, but other than playing with DigiKid locally it's only come up once to play with Icrontians. I would be open to doing it more but I imagine it would take planning and time dedication.

I've considered installing and playing the original but I am concerned the mechanics are different (I know some of them are) and I would rely on something that is not there at a key point.

:eek3:

-Digi