Daredevil on Netflix > Nolan Batman trilogy

Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
edited April 2015 in Movies & TV

Okay, the title of this thread may be a stretch since I have only watched two episodes but as someone that deeply appreciates Frank Miller's re imagining of Daredevil.... Modern day post 60's Batman fans (me included), let us face it.... Batman is just DC asking Frank Miller to do the amazing stuff he already did for Daredevil. The treatment isn't that different. A lone vigilante that only works at night, both deeply impacted by a tragic loss in from their childhood, both mortal men, grounded in a world a little more real and confined than most superhero fiction,,, Hells Kitchen or Gotham, these men fight for their home town, they don't go to outer space, they really don't care what is going on half a world away, they are focused on their immediate community.

The thing Daredevil has going for it is that Matt Murdock is about a million times more interesting than Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne is kinda dull. I mean he is rich, he has some old dude to fold his socks for him, but take away the Joker? How interesting is Batman without the really colorful over the top villains? Now.... Matt Murdock is a lawyer, not an extraordinary one, but good, smart, his work during the day sets up the action for night. The duality of his ego's creates an interesting tapestry. And what I'm betting will make great TV is that the villains don't have to be Marvel big time baddies every week. You can tell stories about the seedy underbelly of Hell's Kitchens mobsters, crooked cops and politicians, and I'll stay engaged. In the Batman films every time I had to look at Julia Roberts brother I was thinking, just give me the Joker already, or Two Face, I'll settle for Two Face.... It's honestly a weaker version of Frank Millers Daredevil.

Comics historians and aficionados, feel free to debate.

georgeh

Comments

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

I'm really looking forward to this one. I'll get started as soon as I'm done with House of Cards.

• georgehgeorgeh Canton, MI Icrontian

I'm through the first 6 episodes and this is so freaking good. The villain casting was fantastic, and the fight scenes are amazing (looking at you episode 2).

Plus it's in the MCU so there's a chance that we'll see Matt Murdock in the Infinity Gauntlet battle.

• Daredevil is one of my favorite comic books and superheroes. I hated the Ben Affleck adaption of the hero but have enjoyed the new Netflix series (so far). I love how they captured the conflicted nature of Matt and how dark the filmography is. Being 10 episodes in I feel like the story arc is a slower than I would like. It seems that the story is not leading to a big arch and they are slowly introducing the different characters of the Daredevil world, one per episode. I really hope that this is a first season thing, there are so many great story arcs the comic written by Miller, Nocenti, and Bendis that I hope they get into.

• GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian

On Episode 3 right now, And I cant praise it enough.

• I just finished the series last night (no spoilers). Overall I loved it. I am considering watching the whole thing again (which I almost never do). I know I had complained about it being slow but I think the final three episodes made the set up in earlier episodes worth it.

Honestly my only complaint after watching the whole this is the character Karen seems to be over the top melodramatic. I felt this took away from some of scenes where she won't let things go. My rationalization for this is that are mirroring the feel of a comic and comics tend to be over the top to get feelings and situation across. Overall not that big of a deal.

I am so glad someone got the comic and tried to do it justice. I now have to wait for the next season :bawl:

• GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian

Wow. Just finished it and I can't believe it took a Studio like Netflix to do this right. Very well done, Karen was a little melo dramatic but hey some people are in real life. The costume get a A+ from myself, and Fisk was done right.

• CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian

I don't know that I'd say it was better than the Nolan Batman Trilogy as the thread title says, but I really loved this portrayal of Daredevil. Can't wait for Season 2.