Which programming language to learn?

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian

An infographic that compares various languages to Lord of the Rings characters.

PHP doesn't look good from here :digi:

PirateNinjaLincCreeperbane2trooster89

Comments

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian

@primesuspect said:
    PHP doesn't look good from here

The whipping boy of languages hasn't been made to look good? Real shocker.

georgeh
    edited April 2015

Gee I wonder if this was made by a Python fanboy. They even claim Facebook is a Python shop when it's actually so into PHP they wrote their own interpreter that's made huge performance increases in the language in the last few years. :rolleyes: This chart might as well say "learn Python unless you're weird or greedy".

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

^^ that was my thought as well, even though I'm learning python right now.

• D is covered in The Silmarillion, which is why nobody knows it exists.

EMT

@PirateNinja said:
    D is covered in The Silmarillion, which is why nobody knows it exists.

And it's a really dynamic language. You can stick D in anything!

PirateNinjaGHoosdum
  • KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

@Linc said:
    And it's a really dynamic language. You can stick D in anything!

_k
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

According to that chart, I need to do some serious salary negotiation...

• georgehgeorgeh Canton, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2015

@Linc said:
    The whipping boy of languages hasn't been made to look good? Real shocker.

“There are only two kinds of languages: the ones people complain about and the ones nobody uses.” ― Bjarne Stroustrup (inventor of C++)

PHP has its warts but if someone can't tell me about their experiences with Composer I don't want to hear complaints from 10+ years ago. The rapid release cycle of the past 5 years has been fantastic for the language and the community has matured. It's optional typing system makes it awesome for getting started fast and then maturing into a Serious Business Platform.

But I'm primarily doing JavaScript right now so what do I know about good languages...

Linc_k
  • pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian

While I do love me some python I would agree that this graphic certainly has a bias.

• KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian
    edited April 2015

I mean python is good but I am not ready to say its the best way to really learn codin. I think schools should start with c especially universities, weed out the weak.

• IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian

No mention of Icon or Unicon hrm.

• Once you learn one it just becomes easy to jump in another. The idea of someone knowing just one of the above hardly makes sense. The larger of a tech eco system you manage the more you find yourself in a soup of languages. You use what makes sense for the mission. Anyway, that graphic is just for the fun and to encourage people new to the sport. Obviously bias and the salaries can't be right, but are likely bias as well with the underlying theme being encouraging people to start learning. I like the analogy. Can basic be Bombadil?

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

Where's Robo-pascal?

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian

Ugh. Python. Never trust a coding language that isn't whitespace agnostic.

_k
  • GuppyGuppy Warren, MI Icrontian

No COBOL or Assembly? What kind of chart is this?

Ada or GTFO. It's partly how I got my current job.

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian

I actually used that Java vs. Javascript quote in a conversation with my boss the other day. Until we spoke, she didn't realize they are two different languages.

@ardichoke said:
    Ugh. Python. Never trust a coding language that isn't whitespace agnostic.

Oh man, if your whitespace doesn't match your control structures I want to see your code style guide. I like Python because it's all "you're gonna indent the stuff in this block anyway, curly braces are just redundant"

@georgeh said:
    Oh man, if your whitespace doesn't match your control structures I want to see your code style guide. I like Python because it's all "you're gonna indent the stuff in this block anyway, curly braces are just redundant"

I don't write code for a living, I sysadmin. My code writing adventures are purely to automate tasks for my work... I don't have a style guide, by and large the style is just whatever structure vim automatically applies. The first time I had to edit python for work (because some yahoo before me felt python scripts were the best way to kickstart boxes), I couldn't for the life of me figure out why my edits weren't working. Stupid, stupid whitespace breaking the code. That shouldn't happen. Ever.

• pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian

@ardichoke said:
    I don't write code for a living, I sysadmin. My code writing adventures are purely to automate tasks for my work... I don't have a style guide, by and large the style is just whatever structure vim automatically applies. The first time I had to edit python for work (because some yahoo before me felt python scripts were the best way to kickstart boxes), I couldn't for the life of me figure out why my edits weren't working. Stupid, stupid whitespace breaking the code. That shouldn't happen. Ever.

Eh the whitespace bit you once, now you know. Python's whitespace rules are a big part of what makes the language so much more readable for me.

MiracleManSgeorgeh
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

@pragtastic said:
    Eh the whitespace bit you once, now you know. Python's whitespace rules are a big part of what makes the language so much more readable for me.

Agreed. I sysadmin and exposure to python has actually helped me write powershell in more readable ways, along with handling yaml files for various programs. Just think of whitespace like punctuation in books. You need to control the flow of information and wouldn't be able to handle it otherwise, so axioms like "whitespace shouldn't break the code ever" don't make sense :)

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

VISUAL BASIC

CBWinfrey

@Thrax said:
    VISUAL BASIC

-3/10

ErrorNullTurnip_k
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

Best Basic

primesuspectgeorgeh

Ruby. Purely because I love puppet. Also, bash, purely because it's so ubiquitous in the *nix space at this point.

@ardichoke said:
    Ruby. Purely because I love puppet.

I <3 Ruby. Mostly because why's (poignant) guide to Ruby is one of the best language intros ever made.

• WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian

RAMdrives OP

• Oddly enough I have to learn ruby/rails today for work. Holy crap you guys, cloud9 is an awesome ide.

ErrorNullTurnip
  • ErrorNullTurnipErrorNullTurnip Illinois Icrontian

@PirateNinja said:
    Holy crap you guys, cloud9 is an awesome ide.

This. cloud9 came pre-loaded on the Beaglebone Black I ordered a while ago. Very nice ide.