If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mechanical Watches

Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian ScoundrelIndianapolis, IN Icrontian

Anyone who knows me knows that I am a fan of all things steam, punk, and steampunk. and recently whilst listen this little shanty.

I can't help but inquire, are there any more companies that make purely mechanical watches (no circuitry, no quartz movement whatever the hell that is) Just gears, springs and a winding mechanism. Or are they a thing of the past making the cog truly dead.

Comments

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

There are a lot of (particularly high-end) watch companies that still do purely mechanical movements, automatic (self-winding) or otherwise. I suggest you take a look at the "Any Watch Nerds?" thread here for some very interesting discussions about watches.

As to your "quartz movement whatever the hell that is" question: Quartz crystal vibrates at a very regular frequency when a voltage is applied to it, making it easy to create an electronic movement (also radios, etc) for watches.

Creeperbane2
  • Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian Scoundrel Indianapolis, IN Icrontian

@AlexDeGruven Thank you for answering that 2AM curiosity. Thou art a gentleman and a scholar.