Laptop for photo editing. ...

2»

Comments

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian

Also, if something is amiss I will try 1 replacement. If that isn't good I am likely going for the XPS 13

• I used to replace a ton of laptop hinges 10 years ago when I did more tech work. I'd always ask people to show me how they open and close the laptop because I was curious what caused it. They all opened it by a corner, which I assume causes an uneven force distribution to a single hinge or causes larger amounts of friction in one place than factory tests do. It's why I always, out of paranoia, open laptops from the center. But this is entirely theory, who knows.

edited July 2015

I see a lot of people who open the lid and push it all the way back to its limit (this has to put a lot of undue pressure on the hinge) then adjust it to where they want. One of my guys at work grabs his by the lid and uses the weight of the bottom to open it along with a little shake for good measure. He has been warned not to be so agresive with company property. :o

edited July 2015

It must have been a sign from the gods! My new ultrabook arrived just after lunch today with the box squashed like a pancake and bent at an almost 90 degree angle. I opened the box before signing and promptly refused delivery. I then called Fedex, then Amazon and told them what happened and canceled my order. I was down and in the dumps till the light bulb went on in my head and I headed off to the camera shop where I spent way too much on a new Canon 1Dx. My bank account is $5,200 lighter but I feel better now. The repair parts for my old UX31A were waiting on the porch when I got home. But that will be tomorrow's project. Right now I have a new camera to play with, screw everything else. >:)

primesuspectBlueTattoomertesnGHoosdum

I now have my UX31A Zenbook Prime that I dropped on the floor fixed. All seems good so far. Now I will wait till I can research what to get better. And hopefully there will be better offerings with 3 or more USB ports.

primesuspect

After repairing my ultrabook and buying myself a birthday surprise I started looking at laptops again. While on the Lenovo site I saw the sale and configured a W550s to my liking, saw the reduction in price and calculated the work discount and ordered it. I sure hope @Straight_Man sees this! ;)

Just got confirmation, my new lappy will ship by Friday 7/24 and deliver next day by 10 AM. My price after discounts and expedited overnight Saturday delivery shipping comes to $1761.81.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Nice haul, man! That thing should fly

@primesuspect said:
    Nice haul, man! That thing should fly

Might need a few horsepower and wings to fly. But it should cruise through RAW files pretty good. ;)