Simple fix for Rosetta Stone German keyboard

CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷDer Millionendorf- Icrontian
edited July 2015 in Internet & Media

Rosetta Stone is nice for learning a language, but I had one complaint: The German language class forces the user to use a German keyboard layout, which is counter intuitive, for me at least. The big difference between the German and US keyboard layouts is the swapping of the Y and Z key, otherwise the main 26 letters of the alphabet match up (german has a few extra letters that get mapped to other keys, but that's no big.

Having Y and Z swapped was messing me up, and, worse, since I will likely only ever type German words on a US keyboard, I was afraid it would mess me up, permanently, for ever typing German words with Ys or Zs in them.

I searched the internets, but found no solutions, only other people complaining about the same issue, so I decided to solve it myself with a simple autohotkey script. I'm posting the instructions for this here for anyone else who has the same issue. If you already have autohotkey and know how to use it, then all you want is the simple code, look in the code box below for it.

Everyone else:

1 - download and install autohotkey (it's free and small) here.

2 - When you run the program the first time, it will ask you to edit the main script file. Do so, and add this text to the bottom of the file:

#IfWinActive Rosetta Stone y::z z::y Y::Z Z::Y

3 - Save that file.

4 - Run autohotkey again. It should now load up the instructions from the main script, and your Rosetta Stone keyboard should be fixed for all the Zeitungen you need to type about in the first few lessons. :D

If you need help, post below, and I'll be happy to try to help out. :D

GHoosdumprimesuspectZanthianBlueTattooIlriyas

Comments

• IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian

Thanks @CB I recently grabbed Rosetta Stone-German myself so this will be a huge help!

GHoosdum