Intel launched a new architecture, socket & platform AMAA

ThraxThrax 🐌Austin, TX Icrontian
edited August 2015 in Hardware
  1. It's codenamed "Skylake."
  2. It's based on a 14nm process node.
  3. It uses the Z170 chipset.
  4. Z170 is socket 1151 (not backwards compatible with any other Intel CPU).
  5. It's the i5/i7 6000 Series in the market (e.g. i7-6700K).
  6. CPUs are around $300.
  7. Z170 mobos are $100-400, depending on BOM.

Go.

PirateNinja

Comments

• Why no quad channel ram?

Garg
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2015

@PirateNinja said:
    Why no quad channel ram?

Intel reserves this for their -X suffixed $500-1099 CPU platforms (e.g. Haswell-E, i7-5960X+X99 chipset). But data on those platforms suggest that quad channel isn't a performance benefit over DDR3 or DDR4 dual channel.

photodude
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian

What's the most recent Intel CPU/chipset from which you'd consider this a worthwhile upgrade?

edited August 2015

@Snarkasm said:
    What's the most recent Intel CPU/chipset from which you'd consider this a worthwhile upgrade?

Sandy Bridge (e.g. i7-2600K).

//edit: Fixed codename.

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian

Anandtech says Sandy Bridge users finally have a reason to upgrade, but I'm still happy with my 2500k. If I had to buy a new CPU right now, I'd actually be more interested in the lower wattage Broadwell-DT, but the 5775C is practically unobtanium.

GHoosdum
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited August 2015

I'm wondering what impact this will have as a milestone.

Ryder

Yeah, typo. Thanks. Fixed.

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian

Anything mini itx on the horizon?

Many.

• Does this light a fire under AMD's ass? The thought of building Intel makes me feel kind of dirty inside.

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

So I would see somewhat marginal performance gains over a 3770k? Even less with OC?

@Sonorous said:
    So I would see somewhat marginal performance gains over a 3770k? Even less with OC?

+3 FPS in a game best case, but sometimes less performance. More uplift in synthetic tests or specifically multi-threaded DCC apps.

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

Seems like I can save some money then.

So the only other question is how soon this new Intel will take to make it on to the Hackintosh scene. (I am aware that you won't have an answer for that.)

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian

@Gargoyle said:
    Anandtech says Sandy Bridge users finally have a reason to upgrade, but I'm still happy with my 2500k. If I had to buy a new CPU right now, I'd actually be more interested in the lower wattage Broadwell-DT, but the 5775C is practically unobtanium.

I'm in exactly the same boat. I feel like the 2500k I bought years ago is still all I need in the performance department.

It probably is. You probably don't play any very modern games with a GPU that would be information-starved by a 2500K.

• Hell... I still feel like the Phenom II X4 I bought like 5 years ago is giving me enough performance. All hail the GPU era.

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian

When is Intel going to make a mistake architecture like the P4 again so my AMD stock goes back up?

Sincerely,
    The dubmass who bought AMD at $30/sh back in the P4 vs Athlon XP days.

Zanthian_kCliff_Forster
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

lol "Presshot"

I'd like to propose "Skylame."

Garg