The naming convention?

GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
edited June 2003 in Folding@Home
Well, someone suggested doing this as a poll... so here's a poll.

Comments

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Permission to edit out the lost boy option? ;) I think that sank, as well it should.

There's also the issue of whether to restart numbering or not :p
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2003
    What kind of polls do we have here. We can vote for more than one?
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    General Keebler said
    Permission to edit out the lost boy option? ;) I think that sank, as well it should.

There's also the issue of whether to restart numbering or not :p

Uhh... yeah. I was just posting from memory of what I saw in the other thread. Feel free to edit the poll to add/drop any options you'd like... I think I forgot one of the "SM" type variations of the naming anyway.

mmonnin, yeah, I set this poll up so you can choose more than one option, intending for people to choose one option from each group rather than have 2 or 3 different polls... is there a cleaner way to do that?

//edit: I also forgot the options about the frogs: naming tribute or fold an ICx rig for their team... man I'm just slow today!
    edited June 2003
    I cleaned it up a bit. :)
    edited June 2003
    Thanks, Keebs!
    Man, you're everywhere! Do you actually have a physical presence in the real world, or do you live entirely digitally on these forums? Are you actually Agent Smith?
    edited June 2003
    GHoosdum said
    Thanks, Keebs!
    Man, you're everywhere! Do you actually have a physical presence in the real world, or do you live entirely digitally on these forums? Are you actually Agent Smith?

Haha, I get around a bit. mmonnin quickly overtook my top post position though, as was expected ;)

//edit: thankfully, that post reminded me i AM alive here at that I had water boiling... so luckily this time it didn't all boil off and burn the pot horribly like it did the other night :p
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2003
    Keep the old IC1 through IC14 names - we should remember where the team began.

Use SM15, etc for new comps - we should also remember where we are.

A Tribute comp for amdmb is fitting - they were swell to us, and we should do something to recognize that. (They've got enough points of their own - it should fold for TEAM93. Kind of like all the Baseball teams retiring Jackie Robinsons number; they still play for themselves, not the Dodgers!)

Whatever the group decides, I won't worry about it for one second - just my immediate reaction to the ideas.

Prof:cool:
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    ICx and honorary ICx machine with AMDMB/Frogs name.
    edited June 2003
    Clarification: 1-14 is built and so is 16. 15 is on its way and will be built tomorrow by reelbigfish. Then the next will be 17. Thats the name we will have to figure out. 15 will go to the frogs from what I have seen here.

I am the top poster? I figured you, keebler, had like 200 already.
    edited June 2003
    If we counted PMs, I would have several times what I have. The PMs have been keeping me a bit busy. ;)
  • edited June 2003
    I voted for the new rigs to be named SMx myself. All the built rigs should stay at their present names and since RBF hasn't presently gotten IC15 up yet, I think that he should start off with SM15 myself, instead of Icrontic_15.:) The idea of naming a future SMx rig in tribute to the Frogs is a good one, since they have been such a big help to us in our time of need, but it definitely has to fold for Team 93!:D
    edited June 2003
    Good to see you, Doc!

Prof:p
  • edited June 2003
    Don't Rename Anything.

New ones should be SM-X (16, 17, etc)

Next one should be SM-Frog (or something like that)
  • tychotycho Santa Barbara, California!
    edited June 2003
    I think my two cents are the same as mudd's. Leave the old rigs as are.. begin naming the new rigs SMx, starting with RBF's #15... and the absolute next rig to get put together should be something like SMFrog as a tribute to amdmb for putting us up.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Another vote for not renaming the old rigs. They're a part of our history that we should keep around. For the new ones, I'm not really sure if we should start at SM_1 or SM_17. Either works for me.
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I'm with leaving the established rigs as they are and naming the new boxes to reflect our new site and forums.

And I'm completely down with naming a box in the frogs honour.:)
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited June 2003
    I like starting with SM_1 myself. Since all the IC rigs are done, lets start with a clean slate with the SM boxes. Thats my 2cent.
    edited June 2003
    Consider this.... we have IC14 and IC16 running. IC15 has yet to start so we could name that SM15, and then SM17, SM18, etc. We'd have a nice little overlap then between the two names that couldn't have been planned better if we'd wanted to I think :)
    edited June 2003
    And so will we honor the frogs with SM15?
    edited June 2003
    SM15 - Frogger (?)
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    One heck of a poll.
    The only reason to have the 'thank you frogs' box fold under thier number for a while is so that it shows up in their stats. That way more of them would see it.

I don't really care if we use '93X' or 'SMX' for names. I just thought that 93 made more sense since we may addopt a mascot or nickname latter and then people would wonder what the SM was.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Sorta like SM15_FoldingFrogs?
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Just wondering why are we dedicating a machine to AMDMB?

NS
  • edited June 2003
    For their kindness and generosity in hosting us during the time between Icrontic's demise and the rise of Short-media.

http://www.amdforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=228549
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I think I am still missing something, as that is just some people posting (90% being people who were already members there) and nothing special, i.e. a few people just loitered there for a while. Did they do something I am missing as my connection is virtually dead so I couldnt/cant browse around.

NS
    edited June 2003
    NightShade737 said
    I think I am still missing something, as that is just some people posting (90% being people who were already members there) and nothing special, i.e. a few people just loitered there for a while. Did they do something I am missing as my connection is virtually dead so I couldnt/cant browse around.

NS

Well, basically they let us put up several threads advertising the new site (S-M), which could end up competing with them in several respects. I don't know if their advertisers would be too thrilled to know that some of the increased traffic at amdmb would probably be temporary.

In addition to that, they were genuinely sympathetic to the whole situation - lots of people would have been gloating about it.

They were very hospitable, and I will be checking back there often.
    (After catching-up here, of course!)

Prof:)
  • aZnWankstaaZnWanksta Baton Rouge
    edited June 2003
    If we do let it fold for the frogs, I think we should do it for at least 100 points. That way, it gets recognized in there forums by getting a "Mick Award" and shows that, hey, we appreciate what you have done for us.

aW
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    If you look through the thread at amdmb you will see that most of us were not prior members there. Very few have more than 10 posts ('cept the ho'es).
    They were kind and helpful. Not everyone would be.

I like the 100 pt idea.
    edited June 2003
    The Mick100 award is for 1000 points.
    edited June 2003
    edcentric said
    If you look through the thread at amdmb you will see that most of us were not prior members there. Very few have more than 10 posts ('cept the ho'es).
    Yeah, I went from zero to 203 in just a couple of.... hey... wait a sec... hoes? People with over ten posts there are hoes? :confused: