Is the dust on your computer toxic?

SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
edited June 2004 in Science & Tech
According to new research into chemical residue found in the dust collecting on computers and other electronics devices, the PC that you're using to read this story could pose a long-term threat to your health.
In a report published by Clean Production Action and the Computer TakeBack Campaign, two groups studying environmental and health issues related to computers, researchers contend that potentially dangerous elements of brominated fire retardants are turning up in dust samples swiped from computers.
Source: News.com

Comments

• Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited June 2004
    *rolls eyes* :rolleyes:
  • hitokirihitokiri NYC
    edited June 2004
    HAH! nothing has happened to me yet! *cough*wheez*faint*
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    Brominated Fire Retardants?? I would assume those are used in electronics production at some point OR they took the data at a brominated fire retardant plant. I'd say its a 50/50 chance.
  • DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited June 2004
    Look on the plus side, if your lungs ever catch fire....
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited June 2004
    brominated fire retardants sounds like some sort of soup they serve at an institute :eek2:
  • Zero1Zero1 Independence, MO
    edited June 2004
    Guess this means everytime I open up my computer I should stop snorting the dust =/ lol
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    First asbestos, then brominated fire retardants.

Why is it that whenever someone makes a neato material that saves lives, it takes people 15+ years to figure out that it kills you merely by existing?

Smacktards.