Which do you like better? Console or PC?

JustinJustin Atlanta
edited August 2004 in Gaming
The face off has begun!!! Which is better and why, PC or Console? :celebrate

Comments

• botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited August 2004
    I voted PC, faster, better graphics, better sound, cheaper software, upgradable, in fact better in every respect. I don't really see the point in consoles at all.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited August 2004
    Same reasons as bothered, only I like consoles for RPGs as well...
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    i think it's pretty obvious on this forum that most people will like PC better.

in other words, i vote for PC.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    I threw in a vote for console. I play many games on PC, but I've always been a console fan.

Another nice thing about consoles: You can have up to 4 people playing, with a single game, and a single console.
  • JustinJustin Atlanta
    edited August 2004
    I would imagine that most everybody will go for PC but I am curious to hear the defenses of the console. I am in-fact split on the issue. I like the interface of consoles to sit back on the couch and play with others yet there is just something about the multitaskability ( oh yeah, I said multitaskability) of a PC that I just feel gives it the edge.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    It definitely depends on the game. Console is much more convenient for RPGs and multiplayer games where the other players are in the same room. I will always have a console and a computer.
  • Morpheus-xXx-Morpheus-xXx- Twin Falls, ID
    edited August 2004
    Legend of Zelda series
    Metroid Series

This is why i'm a console fan.
  • edited August 2004
    pc's are the mode for multiplayer games, consoles just cant compare.
  • CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Consoles for playing with your mates. ISS Pro 3 in the common room using the wall for a screen with an OHP, oh yeah!!! :rarr:

~Cyrix
  • Morpheus-xXx-Morpheus-xXx- Twin Falls, ID
    edited August 2004
    That is a very good point. Multiplayer in any large format is superior on the PC.

That doesn't mean a little Mario Kart Double Dash isn't a good time :thumbsup:
    That game is madness when you get some friends playing with ya. :rockon:
  • edited August 2004
    PC, cause I can't see sh!t while playing games (primarily FPSes) on a TV. Everything is blurry and muddy looking compaired to the same game played using a monitor. The controlers also never could compare to a PC's thanks to not only the tried-and-true keyboard/mouse combo, but you could use any controler under the sun for any game (including console controlers with the right converter).
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited August 2004
    I'm pretty split, but I voted for PC. I love the old games I had on my snes and I still love my gamecube but so much more is possible with the PC. I actually use an x-box controller on my PC. I made the converter myself! :thumbsup:

I just wish I could vote for both. Me and my friends play Mario Kart and SSBM on the gamecube almost every day, and I love it. Then I go and play 10 or more people in UT2k3 and I love that too!
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    PC. Upgradeable, better graphics, better sound, mods, etc. As for laying on the couch and playing. Wireless gamepad and tv-out ;)
  • AuthorityActionAuthorityAction Missouri Member
    edited August 2004
    PC by far.. The controls are much better, it's easier to aim for me. The graphics are better. Online and LAN play is great.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    I..Hate..Consoles.
  • TemplarTemplar You first.
    edited August 2004
    Consoles are for quick parties and such. When you don't have a LAN planned. Fighting games are always fun, and are close to non-existent on PCs. However, Real time strategy games are non-existent on consoles, and I'm a fan of both genres.

Personally, I diversify. I buy both PC games and console games. Who said I can't have both? :D
  • Rot-KatzeRot-Katze Pensacola, Florida
    edited August 2004
    consoles...no upgrading required...always looks the best it can...
  • CreepCreep Hell Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    PC because the keybaord and mouse will alwasy beat the controller! And the games are better, cheaper, and your not limited to what you can buy...
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    PC, mainly because online gaming feels more personal then sitting around in your room playing a video game by yourself. One thing I like about console games is getting like four people in on a multiplayer game, that's good fun, but it can't happen all the time unlike in the PC gaming world. If you get into a certain community, it's even better than having someone sit next to you.
    edited August 2004
    As for RTS nonexistant on consoles ... there WAS a C&C for N64 ... my friend has it ... oh lordie it was sad!

//EDIT: Gr81 - How in the hell did you make your own converter?!

/me wonders if it's possible with his GC controller...
    edited August 2004
    entr0py wrote:
    As for RTS nonexistant on consoles ... there WAS a C&C for N64 ... my friend has it ... oh lordie it was sad!
    What about Starcraft 64? That game truly sucked in multiplayer. Who would have thought you could make Starcraft lag?? :wtf:

Singler player graphics were ALMOST as good as the PC! ;D
  • edited August 2004
    Rot Katze wrote:
    consoles...no upgrading required...always looks the best it can...

annnnnnnnd what do you call buying a new console every couple of years? if thats not upgrading i dont know what is.
  • Rot-KatzeRot-Katze Pensacola, Florida
    edited August 2004
    well, considering a new console will cost about as much as the top of the line video card and last just as long, if not longer, I'll stick withthe console.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    I have to agree with Xenogeared on both counts here, but my vote still lies with console. Why?

I find that the games I play most often on PC are console emulators, mostly stuff that was never released in the US. I log an average of 50-60 hours per RPG on my virtual and real consoles. The only PC game I've logged similar amounts of time on are CounterStrike (FPS) and Total Annihilation (RTS), and that was over the course of a couple years including LAN parties.

I think the choice between PC's and consoles comes down to what kind of games you prefer. I like RPG's and not the MMO kind because frankly other people suck. When I play online on MUD's, I do not subsist by handouts from high-level players and I hate the aspect of MMO's that forces me to. My theory on consoles is that the lack of high-power graphics hardware forces game manufacturers to focus on other elements of the game like gameplay, music, and plot making for a better all-around experience (see Disgaea: Hour of Darkness (TTB-RPG)) instead of saying "Woo! Look at how pretty it is! Here's some more screenshots!" and rushing the rest of the game. This is a general trend and I can come up with exceptions on both sides of the table that lots of people will and won't agree with, so I won't. I'm doing my part to keep the thread on topic.

On the other hand, I enjoy blowing other people (the kind that suck) away at games like CounterStrike at least until Valve neutered the game. CS1.5 was fun but I'm having trouble getting the modded CS1.5 to work with Steam because let's face it, 1.6 is a different game. Though I like RTS and FPS as genres, there are way too many people out there that take it far too seriously and playing against them is just no fun. Unless I find a server with people that acknowledge it's just a game, I usually relegate the game to single player or LAN parties only (Savage, etc.).

Long story short:
    Consoles-
    + Best RPG's.
    + Only multiplay with friends.
    - Limited graphics hardware.

PC's-
    + Best FPS's and RTS's.
    + Kill complete strangers and friends alike.
    + Multitasking.
    - Too many tards for casual cooperative multiplayer.
    - Compatibility/driver issues.

-drasnor :fold:

PS- entr0py: converters exist for just about every console controller to USB. I prefer using the Sony DualShock2's for my emulator gaming as well as several other PC games. Just do a Google search for <console> USB converter. I got my Kiky Joy X PSX->USB converter over the counter at Frys Electronics :D.
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    entr0py was surprised - and I am too! - that Gr81 made his own converter. How'd you do it man? Are there guides for that?

PC and console games are worlds apart because consoles are strictly and perfectly consistent - everyone's hardware and controller are exactly the same. So games can be tailored to work real well on a console, and yeah they can focus on gameplay etc., also because they don't have to worry about compatibility with diverse hardware & software. I just chose PC out of habit... I haven't bought a console in a while. But at a friend's house it's more often console games, it's quite a fun social thing to do. Still, I do more PC gaming because it offers a wider range of options... and if those run out you can emulate all the older consoles :)
  • edited August 2004
    lol ok, you dont need top of the line video cards to play pc games, until recently.

maybe its just me but consoles are good for a couple games on each, and the replay value for most of them is very limited. Console's multiplayer is usually limited to 1 tv leaving people to squint at a tiny little box in the corner of a screen.

I dont hate consoles, it's just that like 1-3 titles on a system really shine while the rest are utter crap. And not to mention if there turns out to be a major bug in the game after it ships...

You can point fingers and all but there are just certain aspects in which each platform excels. Hmmm but I've stuck by my computer ever since Sega dropped out of the consoles.
  • edited August 2004
    PC's are so much better....for one they never go out of date like those silly always outdated devices. You can do so many other things with a nice pc than just playing games so it not only comes with a feature of being able to play many games u actually can have a different use for it...whatever that may be :P. Plus you can do online gaming for free with a PC normally and with consoles they have all of the plans that cost money to play. I like consoles but PC beat all
  • edited August 2004
    My vote goes to console... I'm not a huge fan of the standard FPS, which is the big genre on the PC. Of course, there's always the RTS, but I'm not the biggest fan of those either. I'd probably like RTSs more if my SHAW CABLE INTERNET CONNECTION didn't disconnect me every 6 minutes... ARGH. Anyways, all my favorite RPGs are console - Final Fantasy, Zelda... As far as the "upgrading" issue, they cost about the same amount over time... just that with computers it's spread out... a new stick of RAM here, a videocard there - while with consoles you spend it all at once.

Not to mention that with a console you don't have to worry about slowdown too much... no changing the graphic settings... hehe :)
    edited August 2004
    It's simple to make a usb converter for an xbox controller. As some might remember, xbox controllers use usb technology. You can probably see where this is going already! ;D Cut an old end from some old usb device, and the end of the xbox controller cord (try and get another dongle so you can still use it for the xbox), then connect the wires inside each cable according to color. There's one in the xbox cord that's not in a usual usb cord, cut it off. Cover it all up with some electric tape, then go and download some drivers!

Like I said, simple! AFAIK, it only works with the xbox controller. Maybe find a guide or something on the net for others.

EDIT: Try not to use Madcatz controllers... They blow. Mine gave me all kinds of crap with the analog sticks. Use a good Microsoft Controller S. :thumbsup:
    edited August 2004
    Ah. That's actually deceptively simple, lol :p I really should find a guide for that or N64 controllers we don't use. I could use a controller badly!:D