Dual Core Processing: Over-simplified, demystified and explained.

MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
edited October 2010 in Science & Tech
A dual core processor is exactly what it sounds like. It is two processor cores on one die essentially like having a dual processor system in one processor.

Read it here

Comments

• edited September 2004
    gimme gimme gimme
  • edited September 2004
    MediaMan, i would like to give my most sincere thanks for an absolutely fantastic article. Me and a few of my friends here at Shell ( UK ) are really interested in the upcoming dual core technology. The difference between you and other reviewers is that you explained things so smoothly.

Many thanks.

James.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited September 2004
    I love the gimme icon :D
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited September 2004
    James,

Thank you for the comment. I hope you keep poking about our site.

Interpreting the crystal ball on this technology is one part science and one part darts. My crystal ball sees dual core as indeed a performance increase. That's a given with any new processor product at the top of its line.

When you look at it from a consumer cost point of view it begins to make a bit of sense. It's ideal for workstation users who have a desire for a bit more "horsepower" than a single processor system but don't have/want to spend more $ for a dual processor system.

Dual core brings some of the benefits of a dual processor system at less than the cost of a 2P system with the two of the same processor equivalents.

Remember that it's not so much about flat out dragstrip speed anymore. A dragster isn't much good at towing your boat down the highway. It's more about having that big truck with the towing power...that can keep up with the dragster or at least give it a good run for its money.

For server environments it's the same way of thinking. Many run dual processor servers but would really like a 4P server to really go to town. But then there's that cost factor. A dual core system can bump them up between a 2P and 4P system for some aspects of performance (increased multitasking) but without that cost.

For those with oodles of money? Imagine a 4P or an 8P system with dual core processors...that would translate up to a psuedo 8P or 16P system. Interesting if anyone tries to make an 8P dual core system actually work...just for the heck of it.

Bottom line dual core isn't exactly the same as a two physical processor system but it's better at some things than a single processor system. On launch this is more a product for working rather than playing...

In time...it'll become more affordable for us enthusiasts then we'll play too!
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited September 2004
    WOW MediaMan... Great article. Clear and very well written.
    edited September 2004
    :) Thank you.
  • edited September 2004
    Good article, but one thing: In AMD's Dual Core implementation the cores are NOT linked together using HyperTransport. They uses a more direct coupling called SRQ (System Request Queue). The advantage is that cache coherencey updates between the cores are much faster. I.e. AMD's dual core implementation is no different to it's single core cousin with respect to HyperTransport/crossbar/memory-controller. Of course Hypertransport-Links can be used to extend the system with further CPUs, but that is a differnent story.

• edited September 2004
    Good article! The best is that it explains things in a way that you don't need to be an engineer or a mathematic professor to understand most of it :)
    I usually understand most of more advanced articles, but why make it more complicated then necesary? :)

I wouldn't be to suprised if AMD releases dualcore versions of their Opteron 1XX, Opteron 2XX and Opteron 8XX CPU,s in 2005 and not just for the heck of it. A system with 8 dualcore Opteron 8XX CPU's would ofcourse be 16 cores in total.

But I don't think Socket940 will be big in the enthusiast market. Sure some will ofcourse get it, just like there are allready some enthusiasts that have Dual Pentium III/Athlon MP/Xeon/Opteron systems. But I think most enthusiast will get dual core Socket939 Athlons, that probobly will be released in late 2005.
    Some may want/need ECC memory and get Socket940 instead or need more then one dualcore processor for the specialized personal use, but I think the Socket939 platform will be more popular.

The one who lives will see.
    edited September 2004
    But I don't think Socket940 will be big in the enthusiast market. Sure some will ofcourse get it, just like there are allready some enthusiasts that have Dual Pentium III/Athlon MP/Xeon/Opteron systems. But I think most enthusiast will get dual core Socket939 Athlons, that probobly will be released in late 2005.
    Some may want/need ECC memory and get Socket940 instead or need more then one dualcore processor for the specialized personal use, but I think the Socket939 platform will be more popular.

Funny thing about enthusiasts...we all look for the best deal and sometimes whine about the high cost...but tally up what we actually spend on the entire box. It'll be much more than the average user. We're funny that way.

You are on target that Socket 940 will not be as popular with the enthusiast. Socket 940 wasn't designed for the enthusiast really. Socket 939 is better suited first and foremost because of its ability to use "normal" memory rather than the more expensive REG ECC.

Think of Socket 940 more for the performance workstation. It's a lot of horsepower with the benefits that pertain to ECC REG memory.

By coming out with a BIG impressive Socket 940 FX processor...it grabs the headlines. It says "Hey...look at AMD!". Then AMD can follow up with other products once they have the attention of the readers.

It's the same philosophy as having a loss leader item on sale at a store. The loss leader item brings shoppers in. Very few of them may purchase it but they are in the store...they'll most likely pick up other things while they are there.

:)
  • edited September 2004
    Funny thing about enthusiasts...we all look for the best deal and sometimes whine about the high cost...but tally up what we actually spend on the entire box. It'll be much more than the average user. We're funny that way.

Yes, it's not getting from A to B that mathers, it's how much fun you had getting there that counts :P
    That statement works somewhat better when you look at cars and motorcycles then computers, but computers can be fun to ;)

By coming out with a BIG impressive Socket 940 FX processor...it grabs the headlines. It says "Hey...look at AMD!". Then AMD can follow up with other products once they have the attention of the readers.

Yes, AMD allready do Socket939 version of Athlon 64 FX though. But a Opteron 2XX system will still be nice. If you get that when dualcore gets out that means 4 cores instead, not to shabby :)
  • edited September 2004
    MediaMan, great work man.

I've just finished my English homework, we were supposed to find an interesting article and write a summary of it, and of course, I chose this yours.

Keep up the good work.

/SpinBoy
  • edited October 2004
    I think you should title your page, AMD Hype.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    Or not, because AMD announced dual-core CPUs first, and that's what the article is based on. :rolleyes:
  • edited January 2005
    Acid-

I believe that this is one of the best non-biased articles I have ever read pertaining to processor technology. Bravo.
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited January 2005
    MediaMan, I think you missed your calling. You should have been a school teacher. With a article that well written even the class clowns would get an "A" on their exam....bloody good m8..
  • edited January 2005
    IBM have had a dual core server chip out for years, so saying that AMD engineers have "cracked" anything is perhaps innaccurate, all they have done is brought the option of a dual core cpu down to the pc level.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited January 2005
    And thats what matters to us now isnt it.
  • edited February 2005
    I don't understand how an app (e.g. Photoshop) could take advantage of an SMP. I mean, doesn't the OS "shield" the hardware from the apps? Applicantions are not supposed to know about whether it is a uniprocessor, an SMP, or a dual-core, right? And what if the app knows it's SMP or dual-core, but the OS doesn't support SMP or dual core? Is it possible? Thx.
  • edited February 2005
    sorry that i have to make a comment about 64 bit processors here, because there is no 'comment' feature in the "64-bit simplified" article.
    What on earth is a 64-bit processor? Does it mean 64-bit data bus? 64-bit control bus? 64-bit registers? 64-bit everything?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2005
    I don't understand how an app (e.g. Photoshop) could take advantage of an SMP. I mean, doesn't the OS "shield" the hardware from the apps? Applicantions are not supposed to know about whether it is a uniprocessor, an SMP, or a dual-core, right? And what if the app knows it's SMP or dual-core, but the OS doesn't support SMP or dual core? Is it possible? Thx.

The OS doesn't do any more shielding from apps these days than buffer overflow protection with the NX/EDB bits on Intel/AMD processors. Applications, the OS, and the hardware is designed to let the application know if SMP exists explicitly for the purpose of taking advantage of it. Applications are most certainly supposed to know. Additionally, if the OS doesn't support SMP, the application has no idea -- it's all fed directly from the OS.
    sorry that i have to make a comment about 64 bit processors here, because there is no 'comment' feature in the "64-bit simplified" article.
    What on earth is a 64-bit processor? Does it mean 64-bit data bus? 64-bit control bus? 64-bit registers? 64-bit everything?

In computers, a 64-bit processor is one in which data is processed and/or stored in 64-bit chunks. The term often refers to the size of the CPU's registers that holds memory adddresses and other data, as well as the arithmetic logic unit that operates on those registers to compute. Busses have been varying widths for ages, with the Athlon XP being a 32 bit CPU with a 64 bit bus (Twin 32 bit pipelines) -- the Athlon 64 has a 64 bit memory-to-CPU bus, and a hypertransport bus which is CPU-to-chipset and it's 16bit bi-directional. A computer architecture described as "64-bit" generally has integer registers that are 64 bits wide and thus directly supports dealing both internally and externally with 64-bit "chunks" of data.

Bus widths don't count in the equation.
  • edited April 2005
    if more info needed i will register
  • edited April 2005
    Nice article, very informative.
  • edited April 2005
    gimme gimme gimme !!!
    Great article, Thanks!
  • edited May 2005
    I do have a question ! Will these processers be more ESD sensitive that
    the commonly used ?? Will special precautions have to be taken ?
    JG
    edited May 2005
    For those who may not understand the previous poster's question;

ESD = Electro Static Discharge.

ESD is a term most commonly used when handling/transporting electronic equipment such as microprocessors. I would imagine that the dual core processor would be handled with the same precautions as a single core processor. The ESD risk would be the same.
  • edited June 2005
    Excellent! Excellent! Excellent!
  • edited June 2006
    Thanks
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Wow this came out of the wood works...
  • edited June 2006
    Thank you so much for putting together such a great article. This is the best explanation I ever got about the dual-core technology so far, and, finally, I start to understand how things work.
  • edited June 2006
    thanks man
    i learnt a lot!