Galaxy Glacier 6800GT heat problem

edited October 2004 in Hardware
Hello. I'm just wondering if anyone has had the same problem as me or could even just shed some light on this annoying situation. I have had this card for the last month or so and its been running fine, despite the odd crash. I haven't attempted any overclocking as I'm a bit of a newbie. Anyway, a friend of mine recommended a program called Rivatuner the other day, I was keen to try it out so installed it and was rather shocked to see my full-load temps at 102 degrees!! The usual idle temp here is 67 degrees. The room is small and has no air-conditioning, plus I live in Japan where the summer time and even early autumn is HOT. Thing is, I have plenty of ventilation on the PC case and a decent PSU (Enermax Noisetaker EG475P-VE). I'd really like to know if I'm doing something wrong, or the card is faulty.....am I putting my system in danger by playing games at these temps?? ANy advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!!

Btw, I'm using ForceWare 66.31, if that's any help.....

Comments

• JChretienJChretien Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited October 2004
    put a bigger heatsink on it XD i think maybe a vga silencer? ^^ that should make things better. I've also heard the card will throttle back at 120 degrees (celcius of course) so im not sure whether 102 degrees full load is all that uncommon. And yeah Japan IS hot -_- i was there for a 4 days last summer and it was like.. a 4 day sauna heh
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    It comes with a VGA silencer 4 by default.

Mine never goes above 65c under full load AND overclocked.

Send it back as it sounds like something is wrong somewhere (you could take it apart and reseat the silencer but it may invalidate your warranty :( )
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited October 2004
    wait a minute.
    djandy, you're in fahrenheit aren't you?
  • edited October 2004
    I'd say he's going by the temp that the drivers are reporting which would be in C.
    I know I'd be freaking out if I saw mine at 102...I don't care what they say is safe, 102C is just too hot for my comfort.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited October 2004
    madmat wrote:
    I'd say he's going by the temp that the drivers are reporting which would be in C.
    I know I'd be freaking out if I saw mine at 102...I don't care what they say is safe, 102C is just too hot for my comfort.

I saw this "The usual idle temp here is 67 degrees." and thought "what the hell?"
  • Zero1Zero1 Independence, MO
    edited October 2004
    Gah though this may sound a little newbish but try and make sure your fan didnt die or is in the process of dieing, but other than that I'd check out alternative methods of cooling the beast if your still having troubles :thumbsup: , but wait aren't those tempurates safe for a card like that? :scratch:
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited October 2004
    Something's not right; either the heatsink isn't seated properly or the card is defective.
    Zero1 wrote:
    aren't those tempurates safe for a card like that? :scratch:
    Technically yes, realistically no. And if it's crashing, it's not happy.
  • edited October 2004
    Thanks for all the replies. Just to clarify a few things. Firstly, the crashes I mentioned happened a while back and since I installed the new drivers, there hasn't been any further crashing, even after extensive gaming. Secondly, it's not all games that cause the high temperatures such as 100 degrees. Some games, like Farcry, for example, take it to about 90 degrees and it levels out. Star Wars: Battlefront seems to be the main culprit. Also, I'm pretty sure all the temperature measurements are degrees C, not Fahrenheit. Is there any way that these drivers are causing such extreme heat from the card??