Norton Antivirus Help!

edited November 2004 in Science & Tech
My dad bought a brand new Norton Anitvirus(NA) and he installed it on his computer then he told me to install it on mine and my sisters, so i did. Now about 2 months later it wont do updatesfor him and he thinks it's my fault b/c i installed it on the other computers.He i running windows XP, Im runing windows 2000, and my sis is running windows 98se. Please
-bikerboy

Comments

• edited November 2004
    DId you try reinstalling it? I have NAV on like 5+ PC's and it's worked for like ever.
  • TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited November 2004
    I had this problem with Norton Anti-Virus not Updating and Norton was on 1 computer.

Do what aznherb36 said, uninstall and then reinstall and that should 100% fix the problem.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    If that does not fix problem, let us know. Enterprise NAV lets folks install to anywhere from 5 to many manies of boxes, retail NAV installs to only one box normally (you can get licenses for multiple retail NAV installs from Symantec, or buy multiple retail NAVs, and buy multilicense packed retail and small business Enterprise bundles from Symantec).

Also note this:

OEM NAV can be a 90-day trial, not a one-year subscription. So, if your dad got an OEM copy, your and his NAV might time out after 90 days.

One way to check the update and registration and DRM functions of a NAV pack installed on a box is to download the Intelligent Liveupdater current def archive set, and run Intelligent Updater. If you do this, scan for viruses right after doing so, as virals or a bad install CAN disable NAV sometimes. If you or your dad reinstall NAV, liveupdate it AT LEAST THREE TIMES IN A ROW and then scan for virals immediately after install, PLEASE. Also, there are some bugs with XP SP2 versus NAV that were patched with LiveUpdate supposedly, quite recently. Liveupdate any NAV that is on a XP SP2 box, adn talk to Symantec tech support if you have problems doing so (I would take this liveupdate problem to Symantec tech support as a LiveUpdate failure on that computer, if that NAV instance is on a XP SP2 box). The patches have to do with Liveupdate and sutoscan functionality of NAV on XP SP2, and they are available from Tech support in hard media or FTP downloadable form for those NAVs that cannot GET them through normal LiveUpdate. Symantec Customer Service at supervisor level CAN get you to tech support if you are persistent, they have done so for me many times.
  • t1rhinot1rhino Toronto
    edited November 2004
    There is a known issue with NAV2004 and XP SP1. The NAV Liveupdate will not automatically run. Install XP SP2 to fix the issue.
  • edited November 2004
    he has sp2 installed
    he unistalled it and reintalled it. know it is working
  • TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited November 2004
    Easy as 1,2,3 :rolleyes:
  • edited November 2004
    thanx for the help guys