XP SP2 Blockers won't work after April 12th

RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
edited March 2005 in Science & Tech
If any of you have previously blocked the download of SP2, this may interest you.

We have it blocked here at work due to certain applications we use, guess we have some hoops to jump through before Apr 12th!

Article: Information Week

Comments

• BLuKnightBLuKnight Lehi, UT Icrontian
    edited February 2005
    Same here. Actually, I just installed the block today. Everytime SP2 auto downloaded my machine would lag for 30 minutes. Then it gave me the opportunity to elect not to install. I'm running SP2 on my home machine, and I recommend it to everyone. But my work enviroment hates it. Everyone that's installed SP2 has had nothing but problems.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited February 2005
    I despise SP2. I suppose that since I don't have automatic updating enabled that I don't need to worry about it tho.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited February 2005
    Is it bad if I don't even have SP1 installed? :(
  • edited February 2005
    NiGHTS wrote:
    Is it bad if I don't even have SP1 installed? :(

Yeah. Windows Update is about ready to force users to install SP1 at at least if you want to use their site.
  • edited February 2005
    I guess that's assuming you WANT to use their site, personally I use XP autopatcher.
  • Zero1Zero1 Independence, MO
    edited February 2005
    Is SP2 even in that much of a working order to have users forcefully install it?
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited February 2005
    http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28501 ;)

No one will be forced to install anything. As Geeky' said, you just have to turn Auto-Updates off.
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
    edited February 2005
    :scratch::scratch::scratch::scratch:

Don't know what the big deal is, I've had SP2 on every machine I own since it came out with nary a problem. I've had no issues at all. My personal & work machines are on 24/7 without so much as sputter. They've all run smooth as silk. Yes I do reboot occasionally, still have no problems.

I fully undestand it can compromise the fuctionality of some legacy programs we have here at work, but other than that I don't know what everybody is having a cow over?

I personally enjoy the new built-in IE pop-up blocker. In conjuction with MS Spyware Beta, I haven't had a single spyware/trojan intrusion in over a month, and I surf a lot. I've even tried going to unsafe sites to test this software, it found and removed everything that said site tried to download.

We berate Microsoft for having "security problems", then lambaste them when they try to improve said security.... :scratch:

Is this just more Microsoft bashing? Why is it we push people to be successful, then turn on them when they do succeed?? No, MS isn't perfect, what company is?

Not trying to flame anyone, just don't get it.
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited February 2005
    I am almost ready to do a fresh install of XP pro corporate in my new machine. A freind has this same OS with SP2 incorperated in it. He asked if I wanted to use it. Should my answer be "NO". My rig is used for gameing..
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
    edited February 2005
    ronbo wrote:
    I am almost ready to do a fresh install of XP pro corporate in my new machine. A freind has this same OS with SP2 incorperated in it. He asked if I wanted to use it. Should my answer be "NO". My rig is used for gameing..

I use it with Far Cry, Call of Duty UO, Half Life 2, DOOM 3, KOTOR I & II without a single problem.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited February 2005
    Rada:
    I hate the IE popup blocker. It makes life much harder for me when I have to switch to IE to download something at school.

I hate the Windows firewall; I have a firewall on my router, I don't need one on my computers. And the little bubble that pops up bitching about having no firewall running at every startup is annoying as hell.

And the fact that it "forgets" that I have AVG installed sometimes and bitches about that too is equally annoying.

I, for one, never complained about the security of WinXP. I think SP2 is just a royal pain in the ass... it can't do anything I can do with 3rd party programs with far less hassle.
  • edited February 2005
    Well, I have no expirence with the IE popup blocker, but I;'m sure there's a way to disable it.

You can disable the security center's warnings in it's settings tab all together if you want.

As far as it not recognising AVG, I use it with SP2 and it claims to recognise it just fine.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited February 2005
    When you have anti virus, such as some versions of norton and Panda also. It tells you that you are at risk for having no anti-virus. So you have to go in and set it that you monitor it yourself. I find that kind of crappy that MS will not fix it to recognize some of the big anti-virus companies out there. To me, SP2 was just released for all the dumb****s who can't safely browse without clicking every goddamn banner or pop-up. So now everyone has to download this big ass worthless service pack with a ultra cool IE popup blocker and a groovy firewall. But that is just my opinion, take it with a grain of salt.
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited February 2005
    Clutch wrote:
    When you have anti virus, such as some versions of norton and Panda also. It tells you that you are at risk for having no anti-virus. So you have to go in and set it that you monitor it yourself. I find that kind of crappy that MS will not fix it to recognize some of the big anti-virus companies out there. To me, SP2 was just released for all the dumb****s who can't safely browse without clicking every goddamn banner or pop-up. So now everyone has to download this big ass worthless service pack with a ultra cool IE popup blocker and a groovy firewall. But that is just my opinion, take it with a grain of salt.
    I agree Clutch, there are a lot of stupid people out there that will click on anything. These are the same people that believe everything they see on TV. Since I am primarily a gamer on the computer, I will just use my OS with SP1 in it....been fun reading the posts to see what other peoples opinions are..
  • FAH_WWFAH_WW Training in Indianapolis, IN
    edited February 2005
    Not had any trouble with XP SP2, with 1 exceptional PC misbehaving.

All others were fine..

SP2 - big download as it is - is useful, it IS more targeted towards the more ignorant users. That said, it helps increase safety in some ways, it fixes some security holes that will NOT be fixed in older OS variations, so just do the upgrade.

If your application does not work, shout about it to the manufacturer. This may well be MS as well ;)

We have difficulties with some patches MS has released for their OS, it breaks our application. Our only option is to spend resources on fixing it. MS will incorporate the patch so no choice.

It is not MS' fault an antivirus company does not publish a compatible interface to the MS warning system. That is the antivirus' company's decision.

AVG worked in v6 and v7 it was picked up properly, and that's free too...

MS is not always to blame for everything...

Unlike most posters here, who probably vary from having minimal computer knowledge to total experts, there are millions and millions who haven't got a f*ckin' clue frankly and for those users, this is a GOOD thing.

There are far too many people imho who STILL don't have a basic virus scanner installed, have broadband without a firewall and are surprised about getting their machines messed up ;)
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited March 2005
    Trust me, I work with these morons every work day of the week. That is the joy of doing tech work. I have installed SP2 many, many times, and have got a lot of **** because of it from customers.

Oh, and everything is MS fault, hehe
  • FAH_WWFAH_WW Training in Indianapolis, IN
    edited March 2005
    :D I know what you mean :D
  • Private_SnoballPrivate_Snoball Dover AFB, DE, USA
    edited March 2005
    To everyone who bitches about SP2 being such a pain and blah blah blah. Just listen to this, I found it hysterical and I bet you will too.

One of my friends IMed me the other day and was asking why her computer was being slow, like I can just hear "...PC...slow" and know exactly how to fix it. Anyway I asked how often she defragged her system just to get this exact response "...defrag, is that like something with a grenade or something?" :shakehead After laughing for a half-hour I told her how to do that.

Next came the question of what type of spyware removal tool she used and how often. I got this response; "I thought spyware was good for the computer, doesn't it fix things?" Well after laughing about that for a good while I got her ad-aware, which found 18000 infected files ;D;D;D .

The last question was when I asked about a firewall, to which I got the response "what's a firewall?" (she has cable, but I doubt she would know the difference between that and 14.4k/s)

So SP2 isn't completely worthless, and there are plenty of people who surf the web and have no clue what the difference between the mouse and the keyboard.

Anyway that was just a story for laughs.