Help! Choosing the right RAM.

edited June 2005 in Hardware
With the LAN coming up and some money starting to come in, I'm looking to add another 512MB of RAM to my existing 512 (it's the computer in my sig). Since I've been out of the RAM market for over a year, I'm searching for the best brand of RAM I could find for under $65 dollars shipped.

Currently I have two 256MB DIMMs of Kingston HyperX PC3500 running at 2-3-3-11 on an NF7-S. What ever RAM I add to the system, I'd like it to be able to keep up with the old stuff.

Right now I'm looking at two brands: Kingmax and Kingston (I found some for $60 shipped, but it's used). Any others I should be looking at?

Comments

• botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited June 2005
    I don't know if anybody else has had this but...
    When I upgraded my PC to an NF7s I wanted some Kingston RAM but they didn't have any in. The guy at the shop said they all use Kingmax and it would save me quite a bit of money, so I got it. I also got a XP3200+ but after installing it all the CPU would only be identified as a 2500. I ended going back to the shop with the MB and CPU and they checked it all out and said it was ok. When I put it all together again I had the same problem. If I set the CPU to 3200 in the soft menu the PC wouldn't boot. In the end I took the RAM back (they tested that and said it was ok) and got some Corsair. Plugged that in and the CPU came up as 3200. No more problems. That Kingmax RAM cost me a full day of messing about.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited June 2005
    Personally I'd stick with the Kingston as that is what you have in your sig. Probibly not worth taking the chance mixing and matching.

On another note. I do have Kingmax in some of my folding boxes, and haven't had any problems.

reading the reviews @newegg, looks like alot of folks can't get it to run at cas2.
  • edited June 2005
    I'm having trouble finding memory able to run at CAS 2 in the size and speed range at all. I just did some benchmarking, and I found CAS 2 and 2.5 made just about no difference in speed using 3DMark 01 and 05.

If I can't find CAS 2 RAM able to run at 220, then I guess I'll just have to stick with CAS 2.5.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited June 2005
    Finding no difference between cas2 and 2.5 makes me feel better about my choice.

I've got 4 512m pc3700 Kingmax in my pc-dl currently running @225 fsb. (2, 1gig kits.)
    and has been folding stable for 6mos.

3 rigs have pc3200 (Kingmax) but nothing over 200 fsb.

I haven't tried to push higher or tighten the timings any.

I hope this helps. :) (at least a little)
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    TheSmJ wrote:
    I'm having trouble finding memory able to run at CAS 2 in the size and speed range at all. I just did some benchmarking, and I found CAS 2 and 2.5 made just about no difference in speed using 3DMark 01 and 05.

If I can't find CAS 2 RAM able to run at 220, then I guess I'll just have to stick with CAS 2.5.
    Why don't you run a PCMark and Sandra memory bench to see a closer representation as 3DMark won't be affected by memory as much.
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited June 2005
    get OCZ with BH-5 chips in it. Heres the best one for only $106 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227213
  • edited June 2005
    That's both to expensive AND to much RAM...
  • edited June 2005
    I have some of that ram that Pilotwings119 linked to and maine will run somewhere around 235 MHz with 2-2-2-10 timings with 3.1v vdimm on my DFI NF3 250Gb board. It's new rev BH5/CH5 and will run some tight timings with generous vdimm volts. Get it and sell your old 2 X 256 kit of HyperX. That way you still end up with a gig of ram but it will be running in DC mode on your NF7 board instead of single channel if you add a third dimm to your present ram.

If you are bound and determined to just add a 512 stick to your present ram, then you might consider the TwinMos Speed Premium PC3200 , which is also using the Winbond UTT chips and should be a close match for your HyperX.
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited June 2005
    TheSmJ wrote:
    That's both to expensive AND to much RAM...

oh im sry im a butthead and i didnt read the first post :shakehead
  • edited June 2005
    Just bought a stick of this for $58 shipped! :D

I've checked it out years ago, and dual channel makes absolutely no difference when not using an on-board video adapter. Furthermore, supposedly you can still use dual channel mode while using all the DIMM slots, but I don't know for sure. Guess it doesn't matter anyways.

There's also word that not using dual channel mode will help an overclock, but I've never tried it out myself.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited June 2005
    What you wanted and within budget. :thumbsup:
  • edited June 2005
    Well, good luck on overclocking to your present fsb with 3 sticks of ram as I'm sure you will need it. The more sticks you add, the less likely it is to have a high fsb speed, but maybe your board and ram will be able to do it OK, since you are only at 220 fsb. :)