Cannot manage computers with Windows 2000 Server

edited October 2005 in Science & Tech
I have joined some computers to our network, but am unable to manage them with Windows Server 2000. I know that they joined the domain because I got the little screen saying welcome to the domain. When I try to manage them, I get an error telling me that "the computer/computer name cannot be managed. The network path cannot be found." I can reset passwords for these computers on the server.

This is driving me crazy!! What have I missed?

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    This is probably best suited for the networking forum. If this is a business, and the down computers are costing you money, we'll be glad to move it back to the Emergency Help Forum.
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Ok, we will have to start this from the begining.

1) How many machines are we talking here 1 / 10 / 100?

2) Is this affecting all your machines or just some?

3) Are you running DHCP on your network or do you have static IP's assigned?

4) What service pack do you have installed on your workstations / server?

It sounds like it may be a WINS / DNS issue but I need the answers to the above to be sure.
  • edited October 2005
    This is affecting 7 machines that I put on the domain a couple of weeks ago. About 20 others were put on the domain a couple of years ago. These machines have static ip addresses; running XP with service pack 2.