What would you do for 320 k/s ? I would do a lot !

GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
edited December 2005 in Science & Tech
Hello there !

As some of you already probably know i got my hands on a new computer... But what you did not know is that i live in a SMALL town and so NO highspeed internet was available to me, yes i was on 56K ! IN 2005, it was crap =/

But then, i heard of a kinda WIFI highspeed internet that would become available to my SMALL town (they put a Transmitting tower near at 1km of my house) so i was damn happy ! but when i called them they tell me exactly what this service is and where they put the tower... This is a technology that work great but i need to SEE the signal (so the transmiting tower) without interference of any kind... Im always lucky so you know what ? There is a church between my house and the Transmitting tower :shakehead Yep... kinda owned... But, me owned ? By a %!/$& church ? NO WAY...

Then a project have come to my mind, 'I'll go at high altitude, i'll put a 60' tower and i'll be high enough to see the signal !'

It take me some luck to find a tower, and i finaly got it used for 100 CND, it takes also a lot of time and cement (~14000 pounds of cement for the 6 feet tall cement base) but my father work in a cement compagny :thumbsup: ... After maybe 35 hours of hard work (digging + buffering + painting + installing + ...) and some other problems i've to resolve in the process... And for sure some bucks (it cost me like 350 CND, and its a LOW PRICE cuz i got low price in everything, this could have cost me 1500 CND easily) I got my tower, it's huge, it's tall... AND I GOT A 320 k/s internet line :)

Here's a picture of it

TourComplete.jpg

You can see other pictures here

Sorry for my poor english again, i made my best to be as clear as possible by i was thinking that some of you would be pretty interested to see what someone with ambition would do for 320 k/s when nothing else is available. :mullet:

Hahah i can't wait to see your reply :D

Comments

• Zero1Zero1 Independence, MO
    edited November 2005
    :Rocker: That is awesome!!!! :Rocker:

If only in the Us they had a cheap solution to the problem that you and I used to share.

Sadly though it doesnt even seem that many of the WiFi providers want to come out to the boondocks of Missouri. :bawling:

Congrats on defeating the menace known as dial up, though many of us still have a long way to go. :shakehead
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Man, you must have been mega in need of high speed internet ;D

Im impressed though! :respect:
  • GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited November 2005
    After 9 years on the 56k, i could just NOT admit that all my friends that are ON THE OTHER side of the church would have it and NOT ME... You must want it a lot if you plan to do like me cuz believe me its a lot of problems lol

But, it was GODLY WORTH IT ! To Never again see '42 elements remaining' when loading a big web page... To never see again a 3.2 k/s on a download...

I could only understand all the pain you feel man... We are in 2005 and STILL some places in AMERICA (not africa... !) there tons of people without the CHOICE to have any kind of highspeed internet provider. That sucks... :shakehead

I had two choice in my head, go burn down the transmiting tower, so no one could have internet if i can't have it :rolleyes: or do whatever it takes (and it takes a lot) to have it too !

I had forgotten the sweet taste of massive multiplayer game... If don't feel cut of the rest of the world anymore :cool:
    edited November 2005
    LoL Shorty, MEGA NEED is not enough... I've just got my new computer that can run any games i want and was not able to even think of online gaming...

Im surely one of the person on earth who have the waiting & wanting THE MOST highspeed internet... thiking of it at least once per week for the last 5 years !

Imagine this, at 10 mins (in car) ERVERYWHERE AROUND me there are cable provider for internet. They just forget us... Because we are less than 2000 person to live here and the majority are poor farmers, BUT THEY HAVE KID who wants the same thing i was wanted lol

BTW im not a farmer ;D
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Mate, Id do the same if I was in your shoes ;D

Fellow C# disciple :cool:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    THAT is some serious dedication. With that kind of "I will not be defeated" attitude, you are bound to succeed in whatever you try in life :thumbsup:

Congrats, enjoy your high speed internet - you've DEFINITELY earned it :)
    edited November 2005
    Haha Thankx :)

The fact that i'm a programmer surely add a lot to my determination, cuz every weeks i have to fight against something that don't want to work like it's supposed to... And every week i win the 'war' :D To be a good programmer you MUST try and try until you have what you've been paying for ;)

Why abdicate without trying ? If you are in a situation and you can't answer to that... Then give it a try with all you got and hope for the best result :thumbsup:

Success & failure are only words... They are usualy use for those who had try enough and those who sould have try harder , i prefer the first group :cool:
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited November 2005
    Hahahaha that is friggin sweet GooD! fantastic work..

I've never seen anyone so determined to get highspeed before.. If I owned as ISP, I wouldn't even charge you.. ;D

:thumbsup:
    edited November 2005
    The guy from my provider who have come to install the kit and see if it's working was so impressed like ' :eek: ' He have seen some guys who have need a 30' tower, but never seen one of 64' for personnal use hah

BTW he called a friend of him for the installation, a fireman, to climb the tower and put the device at the top lol I think it was because he was too afraid ;D

And, in fact... i HAD a little discount on the installation because of that :thumbsup:

EDIT : He also talk about using my tower to redirect his signal further AFTER the church, as im at the same altitude as his transmiting tower, but i think he was joking ;D

Even my girlfriend was thinking im crazy for trying to do that only for highspeed, but she was pretty impressed too when she saw my success all in all the way to have it hah ! Some think it looks ugly (the tower) but personnaly there's a part of my heart in it now... And i think it looks cool & pimp :mullet: hah
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    I just have to ask the obvious:
    "Would you... cluck like a chicken?"

He may not have been kidding - it probably wouldn't be too tough to affix a signal booster to your tower to give folks on your side of town more signal. Nice work! :thumbsup:
    edited November 2005
    Hahah maybe, if he pay all of what it cost me to build that thing up, he can use it if he want to :thumbsup:

EDIT : Hmmm... if he want to give me life free-internet access it would be good too... But i don't think he'll ever give me that :shakehead

;D
    edited November 2005
    If i had some free time i'll maybe do an animation of the damn church being bombed by USA and invaded by al-quaida... Well... Maybe ;D
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Outstanding! :thumbsup:

This deserves official recognition from the Short-Media leadership as the best networking 'mod' we have seen within the forum membership. I will never think of any of my hardware mods again as anything special. ;D :bawling:
    edited November 2005
    So you have pictures of the construction and emplacement process for your tower? It would make a bang-up article for the Short-Media front page. It would also be money in your pocket, 50 USD.
    edited November 2005
    I can do it for sure, i don't have pictures of the process but i can describe it very well... I doubt it will help someone one day cuz in my process i've been very lucky (the fact that my father work in a cement shop help me a lot)

If someone want to do the same thing he will for sure need some equipement... and it will surely cost him a LOT more than it cost me but i can give all what i've need, the trick i've used to save money and to make the tower as stronger as possible... I could even give the price of some of the things i've used in the process (in CND, or i can try to convert in USD)... For 50 USD i would make the best job i can to make it interesting for readers lol

If you think this would be a great guide then i'll do it tomorow i think... If it's not helping someone out there at least it'll be interesting for some around to know what a project like that is like in step by step, with determination and luck lol

EDIT : I would do the guide in 2 part, in every section there will be a place to way 'what i did' and a place to say 'what you should do' since you'll maybe don't be able to do all what i did... But still there will be some things i won't have any other way to do it... So you'll realize its a tough thing lol
    edited November 2005
    This would pay a little part of what it cost me to build it lol

But it'll maybe discourage some to build one ;D At least they'll know what there in if they chose to build one hah
    edited November 2005
    I've recieve a confirmation so i'll begin the guide tomorow ! I'll go take pictures of all the tools i've used and some are at my father's cement shop (its not at him realy, but he works there for more than 30 years lol) so it may takes some times to complete it at 100%.

Be patient and i hope you'll enjoy the article ;)
  • rykoryko new york
    edited November 2005
    i would follow up on the re-transmitting thing.

you should be able to "lease" your tower back to the ISP for re-broadcasting purposes....the real-estate for your tower is extremely valuable. with your tower extending their signal many more customers could potentially subscribe to them.

you could maybe work out all or some of your monthly internet cost for allowing them to re-transmit from your tower...now that would be cool. or even better would be to work out a deal where you recieve a percentage for every new subscriber due to the extended coverage from your tower. :cool:
    edited November 2005
    Ryko is a thinking man! You are right.

GooD, you should send a private message to Primesusect if you are interested in writing an article.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    It's all taken care of :D He's writing it soon :cool:
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    GooD wrote:
    EDIT : He also talk about using my tower to redirect his signal further AFTER the church, as im at the same altitude as his transmiting tower, but i think he was joking ;D
    Seriously, ryko is entirely right. I know my ISP offers a program where you personally manage a distribution point for their service, so they lay a high speed pipe into your house or apartment and give you free access in exchange for providing tech support for the X people under you. Your ISP might seriously pay you in addition to giving you free access to put up a repeater antenna on your tower. If it were me I'd also have a bunch of amateur band antennas up there too :D.

-drasnor :fold:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2005
    Leonardo wrote:
    ...This deserves official recognition from the Short-Media leadership as the best networking 'mod' we have seen within the forum membership...
    Absolutely. Short of launching your own satellite, I don't see how one could top this. :D
    edited November 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    Absolutely. Short of launching your own satellite, I don't see how one could top this. :D

LoLLL ;D

Nah... sky is the limit... not space :rolleyes: hahah

BTW when i'll talk again to my provider i'll talk about this... But i know what they will say, the church is in the way of... maybe 10 house maxium... and i was in one of those unlucky house... In fact im the first one and the MOST unlucky, since i'm JUST AFTER the church... If i was a little further i was needing less than 60' to reach the signal... Maybe 40' would have been more than enough... But since the Church is at maybe 30 meters of my house, no chance !

Anyway, i'll talk of it and see if i can gain some advantage of it :thumbsup: Thankx for the clue guys !

Ah, and i'll begin the article tomorow... i'll do my best to have the pictures and finish it for this week end... I think you will be even more impress when you'll see all what i've done to have it hah ... To be honest i was thinking at the beginning it would be easier than that :p
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited November 2005
    drasnor wrote:
    Seriously, ryko is entirely right. I know my ISP offers a program where you personally manage a distribution point for their service, so they lay a high speed pipe into your house or apartment and give you free access in exchange for providing tech support for the X people under you. Your ISP might seriously pay you in addition to giving you free access to put up a repeater antenna on your tower. If it were me I'd also have a bunch of amateur band antennas up there too :D.

-drasnor :fold:

Yep, drasnor is right.. at work we have a similar wireless high-speed pipe, and our ISP gives us our access practically for free because we relay their signal to other customers in the area. We are cancelling that circuit however, so I'll be curious to see what they do when we give them our cancellation notice :D
    edited November 2005
    lemonlime wrote:
    We are cancelling that circuit however, so I'll be curious to see what they do when we give them our cancellation notice :D

They will lose customers ? and reputation ? haha :D
  • IamMrRayIamMrRay Otis, MA
    edited November 2005
    thats so cool. you should definitely go w/ that idea of extending the range--you will have it made--instead of paying you will be making money and you will have increased bandwidth...I wouldnt ever pass up something like that. :thumbsup:
  • zakalwezakalwe Estonia New
    edited December 2005
    That's some effort!

You must be happy to have liberal laws. We can't even cut down a treetop in our own yard that is liable to fall on the roof without filling in about a million application forms to get permission from the local authority.

Hey, just beware of local psychologists clogging your doorway and babbling about mania grandiosa and 'severe [high speed] internet addiction' probably resulting in insufficient care for personal hygien, eating disorders, social deprivation, flu, diarrhea and the like! Oh, and CTS, too. :)
    All of them shaking heads and offering different types of therapy :D

If you lived in Norway, you could have just consulted local satanists about alternative methods for taking care of the church problem
    ;D