Monitor Randomly shuts off bought new card

IamMrRayIamMrRay Otis, MA
edited December 2005 in Hardware
I just installed a new video card (the evga 7800 GT PCIE) and my monitor will randomly shut off ever since it is really frustrating being that I spent 500 on this monitor. I would really really apprieciate any reasons why it might be doing this.

It will just randomly shutoff and I have to power it off and on for the picture to come back. It is an LCD made by shuttle. im using vga but a dvi to vga adapter on the card's end if thats important. never had or heard of this problem any help would make my day.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Do you have your system set to turn off the monitor? Desktop -> right click -> properties -> screen saver -> "Power" -> check your settings.
  • IamMrRayIamMrRay Otis, MA
    edited December 2005
    no i seriously think that it is something w/ the monitor or a bios setting or something i have that on never and i looked there but thx
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2005
    See what your AGP drive strength is in the BIOS. While you're there, re-check the power management settings. I've seen problems like this which were the result of the BIOS saying one thing and Windows saying another. They end up in a tug-of-war and cause all sorts of weirdness.

Another thing to check is the monitor itself. Many of the newer ones have their own power-saving settings which you control through the on-screen settings.

Lastly, if you have hibernation enabled try disabling it. It's not as common as it used to be, but some computers don't get along with hibernation. They'll go into hibernation just fine, they just don't always want to come out of it. :)
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    did you remove the drivers from the old video card prior to installing the new card? Old common problem fixed by running the removal tool for the type of card you ran previously, Nvidia or ATI.
    edited December 2005
    yea I did, I really think its some sort of refresh rate problem ....it just happened all of a sudden when I installed the card :bawling: . Its weird I have never seen this happen before the monitor wont really turn off but it will not display an image and I have to turn it off and then on and it works or just does the same thing its insane and it doesnt have any consistancy either! It does it completely at random. I am getting a new motherboard in the mail today so hopefully the problem will cease. I really feel it is refresh rate problems or just chipset incompatibillities because I know my bios on the current board inside out. It is the ATI Express 200 onboard chipset so because they are 'opposing' companies I doubt they design things to be very compatible 100%.
    The refresh rate theory--I have no idea my teacher said it might be that..but it does it on all of the refresh rates when I tried that out last night. 60-->75... so I dunno.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Have you tried starting in Safe Mode? If you can do that, the default monitor resolution will be 640X480. At that point, you can reset your monitor to a lower rate. I would imagine the max resolution for your monitor is 1280X1024 at 60Hz.
    edited December 2005
    well, last night I determined it was the video card. cause I have an awesome PSU so it isnt that, and the refresh rate theory isnt right cause it messes up on all of the refresh rates so its not something like that, and it isnt the bios settings or the mother board because the problem has continued since the install of my new motherboard w/ the nF4 chipset which was made exclusively for that line of video cards. The problem began w/ the installation of that card and it is ending with it. I am going to go onto evga's support thingy and talk for a few hours to them and if the problem can not be fixed (like if it is the video bios, i doubt it)... I am going to have to do the unthinkable and send it back for a replacement RMA :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What can you do though.... either way that is what it has come down to and I am positive about it. I probably wont be able to fold w/ u guys for a little over a week cause of this.

sry guys...

Ray
    edited December 2005
    it turns out it is the monitor :( which was even more expensive. It didnt cross my mind as being that sort of problem being that its the most indestructable lcd on the freakin market let alone costing more than the video card and being in mint condition. so i completely ignored the "is the monitor broken or defective?" idea and i mailed the card away a few hours before I found out it was actually the monitor...so wtf? either way i just have to pay for MORE shipping and i will probably have MORE expenses when newegg charges me for bogus RMA claims and i will probably have to do return shipping. then i have to mail off my oh so wonderful indestructable shatterproof glass plated lcd that didnt need the protection cause it was defective anyway that only lasted 6 months before it stopped working properly cause the damn manufacturing process is probably done in china and after that last shipping payment i might have my good rig folding again right now im running my old one w/ the 1800.